The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Scary boat fire in CT

View previous topic :: View next topic  
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Scary boat fire in CT Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/CsrY8oU_wew

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have witnessed several boats explode and burn at fuel docks, as well as several other propane explosions--some with fire and some not.

In this case:
Quote:
Just before 3:35 p.m. Chief Fire Marshal Walter Seely said a man in a 24 1/2 -foot 1978 Sea Ray power oat with an inboard engine had just finished fueling at the Hinkley Yachts dock.

When the man turned on his engine to leave, the boat exploded in flames. The man and his passenger were able to evacuate the burning vessel before it was cast off from the dock and into the harbor, Seely said.

A classic case of someone fueling his boat, and not checking the bilge before starting the engine--no matter if he says he ran a blower or not. When I had an inboard gasoline boat, we always had all people off the boat when fueling, opened the hatch and put our head into the engine compartment to sniff for fumes, then ran the blower for 5 minutes, sniffed again and then started the engine.

According to the news sources it took fire dept about 25 minutes to get on scene. There eventually was a fire boat as evidenced in other short video segments. But unless a fire fighting unit is on scene other boats often are lost.

If the fellows in the inflatable had a small folding grapnel type of anchor, with a light chain on it, they could have thrown it into the cockpit of the burning boat and kept it form drifting into docks. Alternaternatively the boats at the leeward dock could have been cut loose and pushed off and the inflatable pulled them clear.

I watched in Pensacola when we had a very intense fire in one of the "shed" wooden structure with tin roof, marinas. The fire was started by a "mechanic" who was working on a diesel boat, spraying WD 40 on a warm engine part and then attempted to start the engine. The engine compartment items on a diesel boat are not ignition protected as on a gas boat. The fire burned a dozen boats and did several million worth of damage. The nearest fire hydrant was over 300' away so several hoses had to be strung out and a pumper moved to near the fire to get pressure needed. All of this is complicated by the entrapment of fire, heat and smoke in the "shed" and makes it difficult for the fireman to get water on the fire. A small CG "Safe boat" had responded and attempted to pull a boat which had broken free and was drifting toward waterfront homes with a grapnel on a nylon line. The line burned and they didn't have another grapnel. Afterward the sheds were rebuilt in a more fire safe manor, fire mains were put on the docks. and hoses were available. The City did acquire some type of small fire boat. (But it was not regularly staffed).

Many marinas are not equiped to high fires. Some are, with fire mains, and hoses on the docks. In Long Beach, CA, we had a fire station in the marina. (No longer) with a catamaran fire boat. (Fast with little wake and stable. Fire fighters trained specifically to fight fires). The Baywatch series of boats of Los Angeles County had a fire fighting turret on the fore deck and can be effective fire fighting vessels.

Fortunatel no lives appeared to be lost, and we all need to focus on our safety when fueling!

Thanks Jason

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE had a boat fire at John Wayne just a couple months ago. Failure to run the fans, and sniff the Engine compartment after fueling. About a 20 foot, run-about type. NO one hurt, but total loss, plus about 10 feet of dock. The boat was on the trailer in the parking lot when I saw it. The explosion blew out both sides of the hull topsides, right at the engine compartment, and then burned everything from the I/O drive forward to the foredeck.

A warning reminder. It was left in the parking lot for several days.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Not everywhere has this much fire out power.

garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same fire from the other side of the harbor.

Really sad they didn't pull boats out of the way... sure seemed like there was time and people to get everything forward of and including the Sea Ray. Sad

https://youtu.be/ptQFMax2Ndw

'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched these again. So much ineptitude displayed. "I'll watch, but I sure won't get involved. All of those boats on that dock could have been saved if people there had been thinking ahead, and acting.

Even a long boat hook from the inflatable could have saved them.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looked like the guys in the inflatable were thinking of hooking up to the ladder while the anchor was available and out of the fire. They probably could have towed it to the center of the channel and anchored it.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guys in the inflatable had good intentions I'm sure... but didn't seem to have anything in the way of effective tools for the situation - especially in terms of dealing with the floating dumpster fire. I'm sure the heat was unbearable.

Given what they had to work with, pulling other boats out of the way probably would have been the best chance. There was a guy on the dock to cast off lines. It would have been tough to get the Boston Whaler out of there unless someone acted a lot earlier - but all of the others could have been saved pretty easily IMO.

Yeah, ideally getting an anchor on the burner would have been the best move... but having all the right parts at hand on time is probably too much to ask for the average person these days.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was also "Capt. John's Tiki Hut tours" which burned:

. I doubt that could be gotten out of the way. The "after photo" which I could not copy showed an intact hull--could not tell about the motor, but it was probably toast also!

The only dinghies I have owned and which might have "helped to save boats" would have been the larger 12 1/2 and 13 foot RIB's which had anchors with chain, and a boat hook always aboard.

The comments about saving other boats were given only for folks to consider if faced with this situation in the future. It is always impossible to Monday night quarterback these very urgent situations. I agree that those in the dinghy were taking risks, and didn't know if there could be another explosion or rapid wind shift.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a video of the aftermath, including the fuel dock
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: