View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable Reply with quote

Snider wrote:
I carefully inspected the cables, I did not see any visible corrosion. It appears that the highest amount of heat was at the battery terminal itself.

From the photo posted, it looks to me that there is corrosion at the crimp of the lug with the wing nut (light coloring). It also looks like the red cable to the left of the one with the wing nut has corrosion at the crimp (dark coloration).
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:

The mandate for battery connections: dry, tight, clean.

In line with Foggy's advise - do not apply dialectric compound to a battery post or connections until after a dry, clean, bare metal to metal connection has been made and securely torqued with nuts and lock washers. Dialectric compound is designed to insulate and resists any flow of electricity. When improperly used and subjected to high amp loads the excessive resistance created can cause overheating and fires.

Stay safe,

Rob

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, this could have gone Soooooo Wrong. As mentioned. Mark it in the WIN column and "I should learn from this." I am going to be checking my cabling as soon as I get near the boat.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Snider

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Kestrel Dawn
Photos: Kestrel Dawn
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Yea Reply with quote

Yea, as I’m standing there in the 5 seconds it took to happen, while sparks and some small flames were shooting out from under the battery box my two thoughts were 1: run like hell and leave it, and 2: turn off the battery switch and grab the fire extinguisher, which I did. It was a tense moment wondering if it were over, at that point I didn’t know how bad it could get.

Another thing I learned is that I’m turning my starboard side battery around so that the posts are farther away from the fuel tank. Now they will both be oriented inside. ( both my batteries are on the cockpit floor between the fuel tanks.)

Snider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Repair Complete Reply with quote

It took me about a day and a half between the family responsibilities, (kids need to eat I guess), several trips to the store, and a little over $1,000. which was mostly 2 new batteries, cable, a new battery selector and some tools.

I built all new battery cables, had to replace the ends of my charging cables, one of may battery boxes and replaced the perko battery selector with a BlueSea 4 position switch. All terminals are properly sized now.

Once I got everything back together a few systems were non-operable, the engine wouldn't turn over or the gauges come on, the trim tabs, VHF and stove wouldn't power up. The fuses at the selector switch for the house system (30amp house, 10amp Wallas and 10amp VHF) were fine but when I pulled the cover over the back side of the helm station I found the trim tab (20amp) and vhf (5amp) fuses blown, same with the stove (4amp). The outboard also had a blown 30amp fuse under the cowling. After replacing all of these everything seems to be working fine. Whew!

I didn't plug up shore power, it got late and dark and I want to be able to check the charger output, so I left the charger off.

I still am not entirely sure what happened, I agree with previous comments about some corrosion on battery 1's positive terminal. I was leaning towards a loose / corroded terminal generating heat, I guess when the battery internally shorted thats what could have blown the fuses?

Now I'm concerned about the battery cables running behind the fuel tank, a cable that large shouldn't generate that much heat but now I'm overly concerned, lol. I could have made one of the positive cables a tad longer so it doesn't want to rest up against the tank, I've considered remaking it a little longer or maybe running it in some sort of conduit where its close to the tank. I still need to apply some dielectric grease and make sure everything is routed properly, I mainly just wanted to get everything together and test the system. I will say I like the BlueSea selector much better than the Perko unit that came with the boat, it's much easier to grip and turn and the studs are a size larger.

garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely looking better!

Having the batteries on the floor between the gas tanks would be scary to me as well! You might put some thought into relocating them, IDK. Mine are under the aft dinette seat... clear of gas fumes and water.

I just did the battery replacement gig a couple weeks ago myself - ouch ($$)! They looked brand new and had always been placed on trickle-charge... but no longer able to crank the outboard. When I actually looked at the dates on the batteries, I realized they were 16 years old!!! (the boat was essentially mothballed for 8+ years).

'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all of the other issues, I still think it was something more than corrosion caused heat generated. Certainly there was a huge surge and high heat. The "symptoms" are like a full dead short. such as the cables of positive and negative being switched....That or big voltage spike from the charger????

You may never find out.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dr Bob.

Could it somehow be that a set of positive and negative cables were reversed or touching on your old switch in a position you never used until that fateful day you set the switch to "All"? I forget....was the inside of the switch all burned out too? I wonder if the fact that the switch wouldn't go past the "All" position to the "Battery 2" is a hint that something went wrong inside the switch that caused a "full dead short" as Dr Bob suggests (a fallen nut or terminal etc).

Nice job on the cables BTW.

garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
With all of the other issues, I still think it was something more than corrosion caused heat generated. Certainly there was a huge surge and high heat. The "symptoms" are like a full dead short. such as the cables of positive and negative being switched....That or big voltage spike from the charger????

You may never find out.

I tend to agree... I know batteries pretty well, and I haven't had an "aha" moment on something that would have caused it. I'm beginning to wonder if it was something internal in the battery... some sort of flaw.

Have you tried reaching out to the manufacturer? Or maybe someone who might have good contacts with the manufacturer - like a Batteries Plus store or something?
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the engine wouldn't turn over or the gauges come on, the trim tabs, VHF and stove wouldn't power up. The fuses at the selector switch for the house system (30amp house, 10amp Wallas and 10amp VHF) were fine but when I pulled the cover over the back side of the helm station I found the trim tab (20amp) and vhf (5amp) fuses blown, same with the stove (4amp). The outboard also had a blown 30amp fuse under the cowling. After replacing all of these everything seems to be working fine. Whew!

How would an internal short in the battery blow all of these fuses? (It would cause the explosion and high heat/fire.). The good news is that the batteries did their job, and what ever high surge there was, didn't damage the electronics..(including the electronics of the engine)...
Snider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use that Perko selector a lot to go from battery 1 to battery 2 through all. It has been getting hung up on all recently. I wonder if the switch malfunctioned and dead shorted the batteries? The switch did melt where battery one is hooked up. I haven't used my volt meter for anything other than measuring voltage since my electronics class in high school 22 years ago but isn't there a way for me to use it to check for a short across the battery switch? Theres no other way the battery wires got crossed and there was no way they were externally shorted except for possibly the switch. A surge from the charger doesn't make sense because they too are fused and the charger was actually showing a fault at battery 1. So maybe it was a combination, maybe the switch dead shorted the batteries though a loose connection at battery 1's post? I'll go figure out how to test for a short across that switch

Now that I think about it though isn't that the Perko's job? to combine the batteries? It isn't hookeld up to any negative source to short? Would it even be possible for the Perko to cause a dead short? Yea may never know ut this sure is fun.

Thanks for the conversation guys.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct that there should be no negative side cable to the Perko switch. I have had these switches fail. But even if they were combining, both charged batteries, I would not expect that degree of heating....If the one battery had shorted internally, and then the other battery was switched, allowing full flow of the amperage to that shorted battery. If that had happened, I would not expect normal voltages in both batteries--as you found...

To check for the short put your Digital volt meter on the resistant (Ohms/Omega symbol) and set between 2K and 2M. If open it should read 1. If closed it should read 0.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have a Perko switch overheat and fail years ago. In that case it just ceased to have power at the one terminal. Plastic around it was noticeably melted and post was loose. I attributed it to prolonged cranking after running one tank out of gas(mechanical fuel pump). After that I installed an inline electric pump strictly for priming fuel from the second tank if first ran dry. No ill effects other than having to buy new switch.

Like Bob said lucky that all your fuses did their job before more damage done.

You can use the "continuity" function on a multimeter - will buzz when 2 points are connected - or the ohm meter.

Regards,

Rob
Snider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: All Clear Reply with quote

Took the boat out twice since our mishap and everything seems to be running great. Here's to luck that it wasn't worst and now its better than new!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: