The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

I have to get her to her new home.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssilver

City/Region: Albany NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pearly Shell
Photos: Pearly Shell
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: I have to get her to her new home. Reply with quote

I am purchased a 22 Cruiser w/out a trailer. I was offered from a friend the trailer he used for his 21’ Sea Ray. It is a 24’ Tandem Axle roller trailer. I wish it was a little longer but I do not plan on trailering the boat aside from getting it home which is close to 200 miles then she will be living in a slip. Is 24’ to short to make the trip?
Thanks Sean
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssilver,

The major issue is that the C-Dory 22 bottom and the SeaRay bottom are different shapes. C-Dory is nearly a flat bottom, the SeaRay is a much deeper V at the bow, and more deadrise at the stern. So, your C-Dory will not be supported. The rollers may have some self adjustment in them but . . . .???

Nice of your friend to offer, and you could probably try loading the CD onto that trailer and see what you get for support, BUT, I would not try to haul it 200 miles without good support under that hull.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

ssilver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input Harvey, supporting the hull was my concern too along with being a little shorter than I would prefer. My other option is to just have the boat transported to my house and block her up for the winter and have it hauled to the marina in the spring. Or just bite the bullet and spend 4K and get a new fitted trailer that I really won’t use much. I was hoping someone would have used roller trailer that was setup for a different boat and would have input. I have a few days to figure out which way to go. thanks again. Sean
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean, you still have some time so maybe you will get some more info, OR a volunteer with a C-Dory trailer. My boat will be in the water in a week or so for a few days and you could use my trailer but it would be a long cross country drive. For that, you could afford to get a trailer, and since it is a trailer boat, use it like it is meant to be used.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssilver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that offer Harvey lol yea that would be a haul. One of the reasons we are getting the C-Dory is so we can sleep in it and it makes sense to keep it in a slip. My tow vehicle that I love is a 2 door Jeep Wrangler which pulled the 17 foot whaler nicely. Not an option for pulling the C-Dory except around the yard. I have toyed with the idea of trading in the jeep for a pickup or SUV but honestly don’t want to. I just love the jeep. It’s easy enough to borrow or rent a tow vehicle or ask a friend to tow me to the marina in the spring and haul her back home in the fall. We live in upstate NY and plan to keep it on the river in Kingston and do 3-4 trips a year to NYC, LI, BI, NJ etc.. and stay overnight on the boat. We have towed our whaler there a few times this year and it makes for a long day to tow for couple hours boat all day and then deal w/ pulling the boat again and towing home. On the other hand buying a BN fitted trailer would be nice if we wanted to make a road trip and tow down south coast and do some camping exploring and fishing there. But that would require trading in the jeep for a more suitable tow vehicle. Now you got me thinking, maybe I could sell my wife’s Honda civic for a suitable tow vehicle for her to drive as her daily ride. My wife is very short 4’ 9” and has only been driving for 2 years so the tiny 2 door civic works great for her. Crazy how the original questions about a used sea ray roller trailer being used on the C-Dory has me thinking of all the different ways to skin the cat, I may look into capable smaller SUV for her to have as a boat hauler and daily driver.
Defiant Wally

City/Region: Phila
State or Province: PA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I do not have a c-dory yet. Still can’t find a good one. Lol. I live in Philadelphia and have a Ridgeline I could tow it for you if you can find a suitable trailer. No charge of course. Anything I can do to help just shoot me a message. I wish you lots of luck.
ssilver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

That is quite the offer Wally. Thank you.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some bunk Sea Ray trailers, which might work with temporary blocking--but not a roller trailer for a Sea Ray 21. The rollers put too much spot pressure on the hull.

You would be better off hauling on a flat bed, with proper blocking....but then you have the problem of getting on and off the trailer. It could be done by a person who is very experienced and has the correct type of cribbing and jacks. (Full keel support. Wedges chained together/and to the trailer, to keep boat from tipping. A small amount of overhang at the stern enough to get farm jacks under the hull to support as you worked it off the trailer. Use of "slicks type of material for the keel to slide on as you pulled the trailer, and hydraulic jacks/ cribbing to support the boat incrementally as you eased it off (or on).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
There are some bunk Sea Ray trailers, which might work with temporary blocking--but not a roller trailer for a Sea Ray 21. The rollers put too much spot pressure on the hull.

You would be better off hauling on a flat bed, with proper blocking....but then you have the problem of getting on and off the trailer. It could be done by a person who is very experienced and has the correct type of cribbing and jacks. (Full keel support. Wedges chained together/and to the trailer, to keep boat from tipping. A small amount of overhang at the stern enough to get farm jacks under the hull to support as you worked it off the trailer. Use of "slicks type of material for the keel to slide on as you pulled the trailer, and hydraulic jacks/ cribbing to support the boat incrementally as you eased it off (or on).

If you are coming from a place with a sling launch and going to a place with a sling launch, a flat bed trailer with cribbing and or heavy foam support underneath might be the best option.

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Trailers Reply with quote

When we had our cd 22 cruiser we bought a used bunk trailer from a Bayliner dealer for $1000 off course that was years ago .look into Craig’s list for a used trailer then adjust bunks to suit your boat . I’ve had 3 trailers for my CC23venture Each time getting a better trailer The last one was very reasonable Good Luck check the papers ,Craig’s list call around to trailer repair places BTW I got my friend 10,000 lb trailer for a 29 ft boat for $2500 it was Alum tandem axle with brakes the only downside was it had leaf springs otherwise great shape Good luck in your quest Jim W
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I don't know what you are planning to do with the boat during the off season. If you do have space on your property, I would buy a brand new bunk trailer with oil bath hubs.For the present you can rent a truck to tow the boat and trailer home. Then purchase a full winter cover.For one of our boats I got a huge tarp on the net for cheap and for others custom covers from Angola Canvas. You will be saving off season storage costs as well as be able to take advantage of the trailerable benefits of this boat. By the way, there are some very good deals on 4 door Wranglers right now. Just my thoughts.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
ssilver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I would love to save a few bucks and get an economy trailer as our plans are to keep her in a slip, I am leaning towards biting the bullet and just getting a BN tandem aluminum from the marina selling the boat. I can save a few bucks a year on winter storage and keep her in the back yard. I was quoted $3,795 which seems fair for the trailer that fits the boat. Thanks for everyone's input.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good decision down the line, it will pay.
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean, It is highly unlikely that you will ever regret having a trailer for your boat. And I is highly likely that you will find that now you will be able to expand your boating horizon to more that where you could get to in a one or two day out situation. My boat will 65 MPH and get about 14 MPG all day long --- on a trailer behind my truck.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssilver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing Harvey, for now my daily is a 2 door wrangler which I just love driving and do not want another pickup just yet. Maybe down the road I can talk my wife into getting a suitable SUV when her civic needs replacement. The idea of keeping her in a slip w/ the economical cruising on water is one of the appealing features of the C-Dory that drew me in. I was day dreaming of the idea of towing down the east coast some day so having a trailer if that dream comes true is a factor. In the mean time a new solid trailer makes sense for now. Thanks again for everyone's input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: