City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think this game is fair.

It is limited to Left Coast Brats with local knowledge, and does not reflect the bigger universe of Brats with pics of Bahama islets, Tenn river anchorages, Maine lighthouses, Keys hideouts, Georgia beaches and (MOST IMPORTANTLY) remote Gulf Islands National Seashore barrier islands.

I respectfully suggest that the rules be amended so that spd, as the well-deserved Winner, be allowed to be deluged with potential pics by partisans like me to pick the next proposed pic from those, rather than their own, if he/she/it/them so choose. Any idiot (and I proudly include myself in that group) can surmise that spd does not have nearly as many pics in his album, and perhaps on the SD card, as some do.

If the Rules were so amended, and if spd were to pick my proposed pic, it would be this one:

[img]http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=CAT-O-MINE&id=P1010376&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]

Hint: When the Canadian flag is flown above the Stars & Stripes, one is not in the US.

Dang, I followed all the hints and it still won't paste.

Cheers to Fairness to Other Than Left Coast Brats!

John

CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the pic?

gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!

spd may well have a better candidate picture, but I do like that one.

I just suggest giving spd some options in hopes of opening up the potential cool places to visit. It is conceivable that spd has never been over 1,000 miles from home port, esp if still working (the poor sap, should that be the case). We all want future cool places to visit. INCLUDING the San Juans and BC Inside Passage, which we would be into RIGHT NOW if not for this dang pandemic.

We are personally very envious of many most excellent adventures.

Cheers to all and safe travels!

John
spd

City/Region: Mukilteo
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: spd
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more than happy to concede my picture selection to John. Having spent my formative years in Pensacola, I'm not sure whether the white sand beaches of John's home waters will satisfy the "identifying feature" requirement, but it will definitely make those of us jealous that are currently socked in by fog in the PNW.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john said:

Quote:
I don’t think this game is fair.

It is limited to Left Coast Brats with local knowledge, and does not reflect the bigger universe of Brats with pics of Bahama islets, Tenn river anchorages, Maine lighthouses, Keys hideouts, Georgia beaches and (MOST IMPORTANTLY) remote Gulf Islands National Seashore barrier islands.

I respectfully suggest that the rules be amended so that spd, as the well-deserved Winner, be allowed to be deluged with potential pics by partisans like me to pick the next proposed pic from those, rather than their own, if he/she/it/them so choose. Any idiot (and I proudly include myself in that group) can surmise that spd does not have nearly as many pics in his album, and perhaps on the SD card, as some do.

John, I thought about that when I restarted this, and agree that it is something of a regional issue. Obviously there are some who have covered much more of our great country than others, but as you imply, most have not had that opportunity. My hope was to involve more participants, as I think it helps develop more skill on the website, (finding, posting to our albums and posting to the thread), but as you say, it does have that geographic challenge. I thought about doing a left siders and an east siders game, running each separately, but then we are into the middle land BRATS, and what about our Canadian friends?

Maybe not inundating the winner, but allowing the first person to post if the winner has not posted a new picture in 24 hours, would work. That might encourage more frequent checking the site, and decrease the regional advantage some.

I think that could work.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
[img]http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=CAT-O-MINE&id=P1010376&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]
Dang, I followed all the hints and it still won't paste.
You copied the URL of the page the photo is on, not the actual photo. Place your cursor over the photo you want to post, right-click and select copy image location or whatever wording your browser uses. Paste that between the [img] brackets. The link should end with jpg, not php.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another "post a photo" hint.....

If the link you paste in btwn the img symbols does not end in jpg, you did something wrong.

gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
John, I thought about that when I restarted this, and agree that it is something of a regional issue. Obviously there are some who have covered much more of our great country than others, but as you imply, most have not had that opportunity. My hope was to involve more participants, as I think it helps develop more skill on the website, (finding, posting to our albums and posting to the thread), but as you say, it does have that geographic challenge. I thought about doing a left siders and an east siders game, running each separately, but then we are into the middle land BRATS, and what about our Canadian friends?

Maybe not inundating the winner, but allowing the first person to post if the winner has not posted a new picture in 24 hours, would work. That might encourage more frequent checking the site, and decrease the regional advantage some.

I think that could work.

Harvey,
Thanks, I think so too if you want to change the Rules.

Brats adventures like those of Discovery crew and Colby and Micah I always cherish and hope to follow some day!

So, if Harvey changes the Rules, who (other than Boris, who gave us the inspiration for this particular Adventure) can ID where the photo was taken?

PS thanks guys for the photo posting tips, which as our host Harvey points out, was part of the reason for this thread from the start!

Thanks to all and esp our Harvey!

Cheers, and it is not a difficult destination! Any Brat can do that Adventure without crossing any major body of water!

John
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
Quote:

I think that could work.

Harvey,
Thanks, I think so too if you want to change the Rules.

Brats adventures like those of Discovery crew and Colby and Micah I always cherish and hope to follow some day!

So, if Harvey changes the Rules, who (other than Boris, who gave us the inspiration for this particular Adventure) can ID where the photo was taken?

PS thanks guys for the photo posting tips, which as our host Harvey points out, was part of the reason for this thread from the start!

Thanks to all and esp our Harvey!

Cheers, and it is not a difficult destination! Any Brat can do that Adventure without crossing any major body of water!

John

John, May I refer you back to page one in this thread. Whoa, here is the quote, so you don't have to turn all those pages:

Jim said:
Quote:
"The experiences on this forum are wide-ranging. Our boats take us to all kinds of interesting places, and we're able to share that with our C-Brat brothers and sisters. How 'bout a photo game to show some of those places?

The rules are simple:
1. Has to be something YOU photographed (no snagging something off the internet).
2. Has to be in the US or Canada.
3. Has to have some kind of identifying feature.
4. When you guess correctly, you have to post the next photo to keep the game going.
5. Optional - you may include a hint.

Here's the first..."

I cannot take any of the credit for inventing this game. Captain Jim started it way back in ....
Quote:
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:35 am Post subject: New Photo Game

So I think it best if we appeal to Jim and see what he thinks about allowing some expansion to include more brats. So, Jim, what do you think of adding a Number 6 to the rules as follows?

If the current winner, after being declared, has not posted a new photo by 24 hours from declaration, anyone can post a new photo.

This would give some chance for others to post, and encourage more frequent visitation to the thread.

Jim, Thanks for taking a look and letting us know what you think. I'm sure we would be open to anything that seems to make it more fair and appealing to the masses.

PS: John, I have no idea where that is, so maybe there are some right coasters that can pick it up.

Harvey
SleepyC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30
Page 30 of 30

Jump to: