The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Need a little more help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seagrits@aol.com

City/Region: Ridgeland, South Carolina
State or Province: SC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Need a little more help Reply with quote

Opinions?
As mentioned in a previous post, I have pretty much committed to a 2004 22 ft cruiser. Heading up to get the seatrial done next week with final survey. This is an Interesting and almost virgin boat. I have never seen a 16 year old vessel with out a little gel coat spidering, this one has none. Everything seems to be in bristol fashion and the dealership has gone through the twin 50 Honda's. Fresh water pump impellers, carbs gone through etc. Fuel tanks thoroughly cleaned as well as the water tank.
What has intrigued me further is the way these engines are mounted. There are no trim tabs, however the engines are mounted with a wedge shaped aluminum plate which is thicker the top than the bottom, allowing the trim to be closer to the hull at full down. Have any of you seen this before? If so, how well does it work over tabs in keeping the nose down.
Secondly, the wallace stove fired up with out a hitch, but was advised to run k-1 kerosene instead of diesel. Thoughts?
There's probably going to be a few more questions between now and next Thursday, so thanks in advance.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great boat. I would not wait too long in making your decision to buy because in it being a C-Dory, you may find the vessel being sold quickly to someone else while you decide on what to do.

I will only speak on the lack of trim tabs. Many C-Dory owners feel that a C-Dory should have trim tabs for best performance. Ours does not have trim tabs and we are fine with that. To keep the nose down with trim tabs may be a good option to help pounding with rough seas but personally, I would rather slow down in my travel. To not have extra holes drilled in your transom is also another benefit. The wedge shape item you talk about sounds like an assist to help with lifting the transom of the boat to get on plane quicker and should help a little bit in keeping the nose down.

Best wishes.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are looking at a boat with twins. Luckily for you, the twins, can act nearly the same as trim tabs, because you have an OB engine on each side of the fore/aft midline. You can both tilt the bow down, by trimming the OB's in close to the transom and get side to side (tilt) trim by adjusting one or the other up or down from the transom. That will work much better IF you have Permatrims on those outboards. The Permatrim will be much more effective that some plastic dolphin type of accessory due to the increased lifting surface area and stiffness of the aluminum along with the directional stiffness added by the 90 degree turndown on the sides, adding directional force to the prop wash.

I'll not go into the twins versus single banter, but just know twins can be a good thing.

The gelcoat stress cracks may have to do with the care and storage by the previous owner. Best to you in your search.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Need a little more help Reply with quote

seagrits@aol.com wrote:
Opinions?
. . .
Secondly, the wallace stove fired up with out a hitch, but was advised to run k-1 kerosene instead of diesel. Thoughts? . . .

You need to know which model of stove it is. Some are diesel. Some are kerosene. You do NOT want to put the wrong fuel in the stove. A quick search will show you some of the many threads here about this issue.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Wallas is of near the same year, and, even with pretty low use hours, it always fires up -- no problem. I have used Kleen Heet exclusively, and always run it on high 15 to 20 minutes after start up and before shut down. ALWAYS.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little more help Reply with quote

NORO LIM wrote:
seagrits@aol.com wrote:
Opinions?
. . .
Secondly, the wallace stove fired up with out a hitch, but was advised to run k-1 kerosene instead of diesel. Thoughts? . . .

You need to know which model of stove it is. Some are diesel. Some are kerosene. You do NOT want to put the wrong fuel in the stove. A quick search will show you some of the many threads here about this issue.

Great, I have been running my DIESEL STOVE on Kerosene for about 2000 hrs. I also have used Jet A, & #2 pump Diesel(aka stove oil) there isn't much difference other than freeze pt. (when paraffin drops out)! In warmer temps #2diesel will be perfect. Also run all of the above in the truck. Thumbs Up

OOP's Forgot the Kleen-Heat also (aka mineral spirits) Wink
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little more help Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
NORO LIM wrote:
seagrits@aol.com wrote:
Opinions?
. . .

Great, I have been running my DIESEL STOVE on Kerosene for about 2000 hrs. I also have used Jet A, & #2 pump Diesel(aka stove oil) there isn't much difference other than freeze pt. (when paraffin drops out)! In warmer temps #2diesel will be perfect. Also run all of the above in the truck. Thumbs Up

OOP's Forgot the Kleen-Heat also (aka mineral spirits) Wink

From Doug at Scan Marine:
". . .
Wallas builds two different lines of marine products, kerosene products and diesel products. All diesel products have a "D" in their name (as in "30D"). The kerosene line is comprised of products that are older in design, since Wallas started making kerosene (aka "paraffin" in Europe) products more than 35 years ago.
. . .
Wallas diesel products came along in the 1990s and any of the diesel products can burn diesel #2, diesel #1 or any of the kerosene fuels approved for the Wallas kerosene products. Wallas kerosene products can't burn diesel.
. . .
Here's hoping this helps. Feel free to contact us at Scan Marine if we can be of assistance.

Doug"

You can find several similar posts from Doug. Scan Marine is an excellent resource for questions about Wallas products.

Bill, Formerly on NORO LIM
2001 CD 16, 2001-2006
2006 CC 23, 2006-2014
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent advice above. As for the wedges: These are to increase the trim angle down more. It pushes the thrust down. Many of us feel that Permatrims are essential to get the best performance out of the 22. These can always be added later, if you want more stern lift, faster on plane, and push the bow down. With the twin engines, you can do the ort to Starboard trim with the engines.

One might debate if the trim tabs are more efficient or differential thrust between he engines is more efficient.

Does not sound like any negatives on the boat. Good boats are often hard to find.

Be use that you run the fuel out of the carburetors if you are not going to be using the boat in a month, or less. Try and use non ethanol fuel.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
seagrits@aol.com

City/Region: Ridgeland, South Carolina
State or Province: SC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific insight fellas. Thanks so much for all!
Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The transom wedges that came on my '05 with Hondas made the tilt-trim gauges accurate. I removed them when I was playing with engine height and discovered the lower units will lift clear out of the water without them. They live in a box now.
The boat came with Doel fins on each engine. IMO that is overkill and I removed the inner one on each engine. My thinking is the outer fins create enough lift and more leverage for side to side trim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: