HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

tomcat 255 fish box replacement drain filter plug

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joechiro30

City/Region: Lynnwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: tomcat 255 fish box replacement drain filter plug Reply with quote

Hey Brats,

I have a broken filter drain plug on my port side fish box. It causes more debris to enter my macerator pumps and jams up my pump. I would like to find a replacement plug or find a better alternative?

I will change to whale gulpers once my current jabsco pumps go out, but untill then I do need a solution for my broken filter plug.

I appreciate any tips or help on this.

Joe
Tomcat 255 2006 175 suzuki 2019
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I placed a 2" square piece of plastic window screen under the cap in each fish locker to keep anything larger than a grain of sand from going into the pump.

On the bottom of the Jabsco pumps is a rubber cap. Remove the cap and you can turn the pump manually with a flathead screwdriver to free it if the pump gets jammed.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a bathtub strainer that fits well. I'm interested in the whale gulper pump mk3. However, It says there is no motor to burn out and no explanation
of how it works. Can some one tell me how it pumps with out a motor since I burn out Jabsco motors almost every year.
Gene

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene,
If it does not have a motor (my internet is painfully slow, due to Hurricane Sally), it could be a solenoid operated diaphragm. (Like automotive fuel pumps). I have used Whale gulper pumps for some years. There are manual--"Arm strong" type motors, and rotary rotary electric motors in the ones I have used. It may have a smaller motor and geared mechanism to give the low amperage draw.

It does not have an impeller to wear out, bend, disintegrate or clog.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
joechiro30

City/Region: Lynnwood
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene
Can you let me know what strainer you used and where you got it? Thanks
Gene Morris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

I found a bath tub strainer at Ace hardware They had a sink strainer and a bathtub strainer either would work and fir into the fish box hole. It is simular to this product but smaller. 2 3/4 inch diameter and the indentation fits into the hole in fish box. I couldn't find the exact one online but it is Ace bathtub strainer.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/plumbing/parts-and-repair/drain-grates-and-covers/4905170
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the brochure for the Whale Pulper pump mk3. I'm a little confused, as usual. Nowhere does the brochure advertise that there's no motor. Indeed, looking as the spares sheet, there is a gear set, which I suppose runs the diaphragm. If I see gears, I assume a motor. One ad says there is no impeller motor, which is reasonable since there is no impeller. But instead there is a diaphragm which needs to be driven.

Were does it say there's no motor? I'm fascinated, because I've burned out several macerator pumps.

Boris
Gene Morris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that I misread it. The description states NO MOTOR BURN UP. Probably due to the mechanics of the pump.
Gene
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene Morris wrote:
I found a bathtub strainer that fits well. I'm interested in the whale gulper pump mk3. However, It says there is no motor to burn out and no explanation
of how it works. Can some one tell me how it pumps with out a motor since I burn out Jabsco motors almost every year.
Gene

I switched my macerator pumps over to the Whale Gulper Grouper pumps several years ago and have never looked back. They pump a bit slower than the Jabsco macerator pumps but they have lasted WAY longer. As I indicated in some text messages between Joe and I earlier in the year, when I had the Jabsco macerator pumps, I was replacing them almost every year. I replaced one of my macerator pumps in Nov. of 2013 and the other in late July/early August of 2014 with the Whale pumps and the same pumps are functioning well today.

In May or June of this year, I had one pump with issues and I wound up taking it apart to clear out a piece of plastic that was clogging it. That gave me a chance to figure out how it works. In brief, the main body of the pump has a motor driven piston that pulls and pushes on a diaphragm at the bottom of the pump. There is a rotary motor attached to a wheel that pushes and pulls on a lever to drive the piston-like rod that pushes/pulls on the diaphragm. Transverse to the bottom of the pump is a chamber with the water inlet and outlet on either end of it. When the diaphragm is pulled up, water is sucked into the chamber, when the diaphragm is pushed down, water is forced out of the chamber. At the inlet and outlet are silicone check valves that function similarly to heart valves. They allow water to only flow in at the inlet and only flow out at the outlet. It's a very simple, very reliable design.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: