The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Window Tint?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Window Tint? Reply with quote

I've been looking through a lot of threads and pictures related to keeping the cabin cool - AC, opening front window, fans, etc... and realized that I don't think I've seen any mention of window tint and don't recall seeing any pictures of a C-Dory with tinted windows. It seems to be a rare thing - is there any particular reason?

Visibility concerns? Or is the marine environment too hard on the film or something? (even good quality film?)

I feel like I might be missing something.

'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally window tint is not something you can put on and remove as required. So if you tint the windows for protection during the day, it could be too dark at night.

Further, the people with shades are usually people who spend nights on their boats and want the privacy shades provide anyway. That is something window tinting by itself does not provide (windows wouldn't be opaque).

On my boat, the shades are only put up when the boat is not moving (docked, anchored, boaterhoming, or stored).

FWIW, when my boat is moving, there is plenty of ventilation and the cabin stays comfortable. Having the berth hatch part way open funnels a lot of air into the boat. Add the open center window and having the cabin door open and there is a lot of air moving through the cabin. The problem is more when the boat is stopped and there is no air flow.
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
FWIW, when my boat is moving, there is plenty of ventilation and the cabin stays comfortable. Having the berth hatch part way open funnels a lot of air into the boat. Add the open center window and having the cabin door open and there is a lot of air moving through the cabin. The problem is more when the boat is stopped and there is no air flow.

I don't have an open center window at this point... sounds like it'd be $700 to $800 to get one. Sad It's do-able, but damn...

The berth hatch... this is a new boat (to me) and I've been reluctant to leave it open much when underway at speed. I don't yet have a feeling for how much speed it can take and erring on the side of caution - but yes, it is a big help when it's open!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyf wrote:
ssobol wrote:

The berth hatch... this is a new boat (to me) and I've been reluctant to leave it open much when underway at speed. I don't yet have a feeling for how much speed it can take and erring on the side of caution - but yes, it is a big help when it's open!

You only need to open the berth hatch a little to get good airflow. Normally when cruising it is only open 1/2 to 1". Often it is just sitting on the latch tabs (open the latches, raise the hatch, move the latch handles to the closed position, lower the hatch). This is good for up to full speed cruising. When cruising at slower speeds the hatch may be raised a bit more.

IMO, the bigger concern with the open hatch is ingestion of water. In higher waves or high spray conditions we close the hatch to keep the berth area from getting wet.

For ventilation, adding small side windows to the berth is handy. This is not so much when cruising (we keep them closed) but when stopped having the side ports open allows a bit of a cross breeze in the berth.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, I tinted both my 16 and 19. I think it was worth it. I didnt boat at night when I had a C dory so it made sense.

There are pics in my albums

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use different window shades than the fabric, snap or roll up type. I use the silver foil or mylar ones, for use in automobile windows, that have a spring wire in them and snap open to about 4 times the stored size. They come with a silver material, one side is very shiny (reflective) and one is more of a dull surface. I have a pair of 3M adhesive hooks at each window, one at the top one at the bottom, and I put the reflective shade in, shiny side out if it is warm out. If not, then either side works. They reduce cabin heat immensely, because I can put them up and still leave the windows open, allowing for air flow in the cabin. I use these when towing and boater-homing too, keeps prying eyes out.

Don't think I would be a fan of tinted windows, just in case you ever did have to be in motion after dark. Never know when that situation might come up.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Z50

City/Region: Alachua
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Beach Donkey
Photos: Beach Donkey
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tented my 26. Nothing on the front. 20% along the sides, and 45% on the back. Made a big differance. We had 70% on the front but was to dark in low light.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,
Same as cars and houses, usually done to decrease solar heat and light load without interfering with night driving. Other issue is some cheap ones don't pass VHF radio waves (which you need using a handheld radio in the cabin), according to our pro installer. After 7 years, it got dull and blurry. We recently removed it and would not do it again. Interior Sunbrella over Mylar insulation does better.

And a Coleman 15,000 BTU rooftop AC keeps it cool, should one of us have a hot flash on marina shorepower. You could also run it with any quality 5,000W generator.

I'd advise against.

[img]http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=CAT-O-MINE&id=cruising_Scipio_Creek_Apalachicola&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]

Cheers!
John

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the windows tinted on the Blue~C except for the front, mainly for privacy. I have't done any boating in hot weather so can't attest to the temperature to any changes to interior temp. If nothing else, it looks awesome:)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used "Reflectix" "Double. double, Mylar reflective material inside when not running. It is cut to fit into the window frame, and then the inside curtains dropped inside of ut.

I installed about 40% transmission Lexan 3/8" windows in our Cal 46 pilot house. We would pop on deck every 15 minutes or less when running at night--or stay in the cockpit. It helped some in the tropics--but in comparison with clear glass in our other pilot house boat, I was not convinced that it made that much difference.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of screens made out of Phifertexs that hang on the outside of the side windows. As a window covering, Phifertex provides about a 70% shade factor, allowing light to filter through and providing moderate privacy. It’s also GREENGUARD® Gold Certified for clean air quality, so you can confidently use it inside your home, too. For a tighter weave and approximate 93% shade factor, see Phifertex Plus Vinyl Mesh. The inside of the boat is a lot cooler when I have them on.

-Waypoint-

City/Region: Jensen Beach, Florida
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Photos: Waypoint
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album3057&id=GMGP7158&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Yes! Do It, no problem at night. Much cooler and improves privacy too!

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=Waypoint&id=Loaded_for_a_trip&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Notice the truck tint is the same.

Another_cdory

City/Region: Spokane Valley
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Whoa Nelly!
Photos: Whoa Nelly!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Window Tint? Reply with quote

garyf wrote:
I've been looking through a lot of threads and pictures related to keeping the cabin cool - AC, opening front window, fans, etc... and realized that I don't think I've seen any mention of window tint and don't recall seeing any pictures of a C-Dory with tinted windows. It seems to be a rare thing - is there any particular reason?

Visibility concerns? Or is the marine environment too hard on the film or something? (even good quality film?)

I feel like I might be missing something.

Hello,
We had the 3M Crystalline product professionally installed on the Whoa Nelly. It has 97% infrared rejection and 99% UV rejection with marginal shading on the forward glass and a slight darkening on the rest (two of the shade options used from the product family). It has worked well without noticable vision reduction even on predawn sailings during salmon season.
The cabin is cooler in the hot midday sun. But, this may be from the combination effects of the previously installed Mascoat insulation (for condensation control) and the window tint. The cost of the Crystalline film and installation was not trivial, but acceptable. It is a boat "farkle" that I have been very pleased with.
Your mileage may vary...
--Chelsea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: