The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Need advice...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seagrits@aol.com

City/Region: Ridgeland, South Carolina
State or Province: SC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Need advice... Reply with quote

Greetings,
I'm headed to a neighboring state to look at a 2004 22 ft. cruiser. The boat is well equipped and has the same vintage 50 hp honda twins. Carbureted, so no way of telling the hours. Being somewhat new to both this engine, and the c-dory line, can anyone give an opinion of these particular motors and high points for what I could and should be looking for in the boat before procedure for a survey.
Thanks,
seagrits
jakevolvo@yahoo.com

City/Region: Orting
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Told Ya So
Photos: C-Told Ya So
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall maintenance, maintenance records if any, corrosion (was it flushed and rinsed regularly after use) compression check if your handy with that stuff that's probably the most important in my opinion
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people get about 2000 hours on these motors if well cared for--some get even more.

I agree with "SeaGrits". I would do at least a compression check, leak down and pull the thermostats in a boat used in salt water to see if there was any corrosion.

Flushing or running the motor in fresh water after each run is very desirable in salt water.

The other issue, which will show up when you run the engines on a sea trial, is how the engines run. If you leave ethanol laced gas, in the carburetors, they will gum up the jets. So it is important to run non ethanol gas is possible, and drain the carburetors (or run them out of fuel). Maintenance record logs are always important.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask for maintenance records, if done by a pro-shop or reciepts if done by a home mechanic. 2004 should have hour meters, might be under the ob cowl. The owner may have a log book that may be helpful.

Previous suggestions are good, for sure.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

seagrits@aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents. Fortunately, (I think!) This is an actual honda outboard dealership. I won't make an offer without looking at the total package.
On another note, are their any points which I should be eyeful of on the boat itself? My wife and I, recently retired, want to use this as knock about boat plying the creeks, rivers of North and South Carolina, along with coastal Georgia. Spending possibly 2 weeks at a time out. Spending mostly at displacement speeds....With this in mind, it comes with just a single axle trailer. Is this a bit much boat for single axle pulling say, 150 to 200 miles one way?
Would appreciate any and all input. By the way, these are fresh water (for most of their life) engines I was told.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with a single axel trailer, BUT that depends on the trailer condition. I started with a single, and then several years later converted to a tandom axel. Tows nicer, less wiggle waggle, easier over the rough spots, and nicer to the boat, IMHO. The tow vehicle also will have much to say about what you are towing. A 22 will come in at close to 5,000 pounds on the trailer. Don't get stuck in a tail wagging the dog situation.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Desert Dory

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Desert Dory
Photos: Desert Dory
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 22 is on a single axle trailer also. We towed it 2000 miles, one way, home from Ohio last summer when we bought it.

I did jack it up and checked the bearings before we left. They looked good so I adjusted the bearing play and pumped a bit of grease in them and off we went. Kept it at 65 mph and checked the hub temps whenever we stopped and we had no issues.

Mind you, this was early August thru OK, TX, NM, and on home to Tucson. It was FRIGGEN HOT!!!

150 or 200 miles should be cake if you take the time check things out and do the maintenance.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally single axle trailers are fine for sort hauls. I had a single axle trailer fail on its 3rd cross country trip (about 4000 miles each way.) It had to do with resonance of the road humps and towing with an RV which had automatic air bag leveling, so it was basically a constant--not going up and down with the road.

I would have no reservations for around the Carolinas Georgia etc...Just don't go up to many shoal creeks, with out a paddle...!

See how the boat has been stored. If under cover, or well protected that is a plus. Also one wants to try and avoid boats which are left out in the weather in freeze thaw cycle areas. Your idea of general maintenance will be a good indicator as you look at the overall condition of the hull, upholstery, interior and electronics.
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Ethanol in Fuel Reply with quote

Anytime boat storage is anticipated to be longer than a few weeks, draining the carburetor "bowls" is absolutely essential if you are using gasoline containing "ethanol"! "Running the engines till they quit" is patently insufficient since fuel will remain in carbs and foul the idle and mid-range jets! Draining each bowl is accomplished by turning the small recessed slotted screw adjacent to the "clear" fuel line counter-clockwise just one turn. What fuel remains will run out the clear line and can be captured in a small container.
seagrits@aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great info, and a whopping tanks to you guys. What are your thoughts on a survey? Since the boat is represented by boat dealership, would it be wise to get this done by an external source?
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seagrits,
A survey should always be performed by a non-partisan external source.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% about a survey. Generally never use a surveyor recommended by the seller. If the survey came back negative, the surveyor lost that seller's business.

There are a few really good marine surveyors. I tend to prefer NAMS certified surveyors over SAMS accredited I also like to see ABYC technical certifications.

I have rarely used a marine surveyor--My insurance company accepts my survey. I bought my first trawler, and decided I should get a survey. I made the mistake of asking the selling broker for a recommendation. On paper the surveyor sounded good. I kept asking questions about items I was concerned about. The surveyor/owner/broker always had a "pat' answer. The day after closing I found a leaking diesel tank and the seller had stuffed a beach towel under the tank to adsorb the leaking fuel! (Surveyor missed that). There were a number of electronics remnants...wiring, even an auto pilot control unit etc---some areas looked like major repairs--told it was just a little kiss against a piling....etc.

When we tried to get clear title for documentation (after the sale) we found the vessel had been salvaged, then dropped by the salvage crane. From that I was able to trace the original owner and salvage yard. The seller had bought the boat on a salvage title, but never registered the.boat in FL. I found another Trawler and Trawling list member who had had the boat turned down at survey, and got his survey. Even the photos done by my surveyor showed the inadequate repair of the damage...SAMS would do nothing about discipline to that surveyor, In fact that surveyor became an officer of SAMS. Admiralty attorney said pursuit of liability would cost more than we could collect. The seller paid for half of the tank replacement (under my threat of going to the DA with fraud charges). The agent lost his license (he knew about the bad survey). The broker did not lose his license. I repaired the boat to specs, and told the person who bought the boat and his surveyor the entire story and documented repairs. That boat has sold 3 more times, and never has any of the selling brokers been aware of the history...

How to find a good surveyor? Often folks ask on "The Hull Truth". Check BBB files (no guarantee there). Ask on this forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: