The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Salt water moorage and motor tilt - newbie question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject: Salt water moorage and motor tilt - newbie question Reply with quote

I'm moored and camping for the night. Is it better to tilt the motors out of the salt water while sleeping at night? Initially this seems like the thing to do, but I also have hear corrosion happens fastest in the presence of oxygen. So maybe keeping the motor in the water is better?

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends. If for. a long period, I will flush the motor and pull it up. For a single night or two, live it down. In any case, without flushing the internals will be in contact with salt water. Be sure an idle the motor to cool down before you shut it down.

Another argument for leaving it down--is if you have to move during the night, the motor is ready to go--and no "brain fog" starting the motor when out of the water....

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with Bob on this - especially about letting it cool down with an idle for a few minutes. Peope that don't do this often get corrosion issues. And BTW, unless you're in some goofy fjord or the Baltic Sea, there is roughly the same amount of oxygen in the water as there is in the atmosphere - it's just disovled in the water.
SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a Cathodic protection tech for awhile. Worked on pipelines, water towers, and also did a lot of work underneath Seattles waterfront. (It’s surprisingly cozy under the piers). I agree with Bob’s wisdom and experience. Any metal not immersed in a medium (soil, water, etc.) will receive no protection from anodes and is totally reliant on its coating. We used to joke to clients: The black magic can’t happen without something for electrons to flow through. If you dont flush it with freshwater it’s better off submerged where anodes can offer it some level of protection. That said, I wouldn’t change my campsite if you need the motors up to get in there and it’s where you want to be for the night. But i’m abusive towards tools!

Sounds like you’re havin’ fun! If you ever tow east, I have found a few great places you can anchor that 16 if you take the vow of secrecy and do the cbrat secret handshake
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: