The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Transom is 65% saturated and list
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiernanlaw@gmail.com

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject: Transom is 65% saturated and list Reply with quote

All:
I have a 1982 27' Cabin Cruiser C-Dory. I have a 130 HP Honda four stroke and 9 HP Honda four stroke kicker. I have both batteries on the back aft starboard of the boat next to the transom. The boat sits at approximately a 5 degree starboard list. The trim tabs help when running but I lose directional control when I put in too much starboard nose down trim. I get about 14 knots at 4000 RPM. I was just told the transom and forward of it at least 5 feet is 65% saturated. I have been told I need to cut out the transom, dig out the saturated glass/wood, and rebuild the back half of the deck. $20,000 for starters. I already have to pull out (leaky) the center 4 (yes four!) 20+ gallon glassed in fuel tanks. I was also told to haul the boat down to Arizona for a couple of years and let it dry out (we live in Anchorage, Ak), or put it in a heated garage for a couple of winters to take care of the saturation. Any advise if this was your boat?
Bart (tiernanlaw@gmail.com)

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart, WOW, sorry you got that kind of news, but better to get it now than than to be half way across PWS and have the transom, outboard and related attachments take a trip to the deep six. Now that would be a really bad day. So, if you are going to have to pay to get it fixed by someone else, (and I get that because I would have to,) that is a huge bundle. You have one of the few 27 C-Dory Cruise Ships and they are pretty rare, so it might be worth a good repair. Towing it to Arizona and leaving it for a couple of years would dry it out, but that will cost you half of the 20K, (transport both ways or down and back twice, and storage there for 2 years,) and it will only dry it out, not fix any rot that might be there as a result of the "moisture". You will want it done right, not cheap, but it would be worth it to get several maybe not even just three, and you are not only looking for the $$$$'s but the work quality. Get references, check out the shop, and the working staff not just a service writer.

If you have the tools, equipment, place to work, the time and talent there are several boats here that have had serious rebuilds of the same order. There are guys and gals here that are fully capable of doing that work and could, or can direct you to instruction sites, both here and other places to help -- if you are of a mind to do it yourself.

Best to you as you go forward with this. I am sure you will get more responses from folks who are much more capable than I am. But this will give you some food for thought in the mean time.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:46 am    Post subject: boat repair Reply with quote

I had the same problem in ,my 2005 C-Dory 26' ProAngler
My transom and about 2'of hull were water soaked.
After shopping around I found a company on West Diamond by the shredding co. on 801 E. 82 Blvd, Suite C-1 called ASHBREEZ boat works. 907-529-1907

ashbreezboatworks.com

They do an excellent job. They run it with a father (Prof at UAA) and his son who was trained at Port Townson., Wash.

Mine was approx $21,000, It was a bunch of cash but you either bite the bullet or cut it up with a chin saw.

Give him a visit. Call him, first.

Jack in Alaska on the HIGH TIDEii

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's terrible and I am really sorry. Cook Inlet Boats in Wasilla does nice work and they are affordable, as boats repair shops go.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Arizona trip is not any type of a Fix.. Even the heat there might not dry out the hull and transom fully.

You can do it and save well over half--probably 2/3 of the expense or let someone else do it. The issue is that the boat is 28 years old, and probably has been thru many freeze thaw cycles.

Or you might just do the transom, and keep using the boat as it is. I don't know if the 27 had a grid structure to support the transom, but you are running relatively low HP for that boat. I had a 130 on a 25, and thought it was underpowered. If the 14 knots and the 4000 RPM is max RPM, then you need a lower pitched prop to perform well. You can move the batteries to the port side, which will help some with the list. Also move any portable gear to the port side to balance. The new core will not solve the list issue.

I understand how disappointing this is, but it is not the "end of the World", or "Chainsaw time". The boat is very "fixable" and it took 28 years to get into this condition, Redo will give it another 30 years.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuff happens.

Just sold my 2004 32' Tiara Open with "moisture problems" in which I took a
multiple $K "survey adjustment" penalty.

The good news is it is sold and no longer my problem.

The lesson is older boats can, and usually do, develop problems that can be
overlooked or not noticed until a pro does an inspection.

Diligence is a missing word in the day-to-day life of many boat owners.

Aye.

T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with everyone else - you must cut out the wet/rot materials and repair it properly. But, Arizona is a really nice trip in the winter time if you can swing it - especially up here where winter can wear on you.
tiernanlaw@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the tips. I've finally decided to tear into (demo) it myself and have the experts rebuild it. I figure I cannot do any harm so long as I am careful about cutting into the hull. I plan on cutting a hole in the top, measuring the thickness of the deck, adjusting my cirular saw accordingly (with appropriate blade), and cutting within 4 to five inches of the sides of the back deck (house back to stern). After that, I figure I will have to "wing it" with a hammer, chisel, and whatever other tool required.
If anybody has any suggestions (or believes this is the wrong POA), I'm all ears....especially about specialty tools or things to pay attention to unique to the 27' CDory.
Thanks in advance,
Bart
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 27 also with an alum hull extension and a 225 honda and a 15hp kicker. Does your 27 have the long cabin with the head at the rear of the cabin? There were at least 4 versions of the 27 and they only made between 10 and 20 boats total. You have 4 fuel tanks you said and I only have 2 50s that run just behind the cabin from port to starboard. I have one big hold under the deck but some boats had 2 smaller ones, which do you have? would love to see pictures of the boat.

When I first got mine I have water getting in and sitting on the tanks and under the tanks. The side cabin wall had came loose from where it attached to the hull. You could not see it but the rain would seep thru and end up on the tanks. I could not remove the tanks but I did have to replace the rear wall of the cabin ( wood) and build a new one. I pulled the covers for the tank and the fill hoses and spent a week vacuuming out the water and soaked foam followed by a heat gun or vaccum in reverse blowing into the tank area for a week. I also have to under cut and re epoxy the deck above the tank where the port was for the fuel pick ups and site gages.

I have often wondered if I have any rot from that time but its been ten years and the boat is stored out side but under cover. Please take lots of photos of your project. think about adding a hull extension, not a offshore bracket and new motors. have fun.

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
That's terrible and I am really sorry. Cook Inlet Boats in Wasilla does nice work and they are affordable, as boats repair shops go.

X2 on Cook Inlet Boats!
tiernanlaw@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how to upload photos.
Bart
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask TyBoo or Da Nag for an album. They are number 2 and 3 on the "member list" in the header above.

Once you have your album, there will be a "add Photo" link on the first page of the album. Click on that, and then follow instructions. Be sure that any pop up blocker is off.

To transfer to the threads, click on the photo in your album , and then push "Control" on the MAC, (or right click on the windows?) and get image address (ends in jpeg). Raw photos will not upload. Although the site can compress the photo, if it is large as mine usually are, then you may want to compress the photos, to jpeg.

Place the photo address between the "[img]" and "[/img/".

I use a MAC so Windows may be slightly different.
C-Wolfe

C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you just put up your boat for sale?
sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Wolfe wrote:
Did you just put up your boat for sale?

There is, or was one similar up her for sale....good question. It did disappear as a listing and the description was spot on. I'm not sure an old boat without power and needing a ton of work has very much value - even our beloved C-Dory boats. I know I wouldn't take it on as I'd rather be boating than working on one. It's a terrible spot to be in as an owner and I feel bad for him.
C-Wolfe

C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also assume it is the same. I message to the one for sale here and it is sold. I would like that boat but have nowhere near the time to tackle that kind of project. It appear that he was in a similar position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: