The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Final Passage of "Larry Pardey"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Final Passage of "Larry Pardey" Reply with quote

Many of the C-Brats who transitioned from sailing to motor vessels will remember the iconic world sailor and author Larry Pardey. Larry, a Canadian citizen, relocated from British Columbia to southern California in the late 1960's. There he met wife Lynn and together they hand built a wooden sailboat they named "Seraffyn". After several years at sea and publishing various blue water cruising books, they returned and built a larger version of the 24 foot Seraffyn. "Taleisen" a 30 foot Bristol Channel cutter designed by Lyle Hess was launched at Newport Beach California in the late 1970's and went on to circumnavigate the globe numerous times. Lynn and Larry settled at Kawau Island north of Auckland on the east coast of New Zealand. Last year Larry had a stroke and was in hospice care at the time of his death on 27 July 2020. Anyone wanting additional details, please PM or phone me at: 520-220-9536
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: A great loss Reply with quote

I attended many of their sharing at various yacht clubs in SoCal. Taliesen was his true testimony, a fine vessel. I loved the space for a tub where the motor was not. Their giving away of so many things over the years to keep the boat neat, clean, and uncluttered is a good example for us pack racks. Seems like we are losing a lot of the old guard, I still have a Naples Sabot, not sure why but there it is at our house in Yucca Valley (California High Desert - no water for many an hours drive). Thanks for the heads up, with COVID-19 I do not go to our SoCal office, I stick to Nevada like glue.
Bob Jarrard
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The both of them inspired so many people who were dreaming of sailing away to adventure. That first wave of cruising discovery with a plea of simplicity and go now.
I was in need of reinforcement of my dream when I bought their first book when it first came out in the seventies. We were half way through building our 45 foot ketch in Australia at the time while I was working long hours for a boat builder. Reading of their success in building a boat and sailing it to England helped me to know that our dream was also real and we could also sail away into adventure at sea.

R.I.P. Larry, fair winds on your next passage.

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I had the pleasure of knowing Lin and Larry and being aboard their boats. I was at the launching of "Taleisin",

I still own a Lyle Hess designed "Fatty Knees" 9' dinghy previously owned by the Hess family. (Larry had built the plug for the 8' foot Fatty knees, which was already Built in 7' and 9'; the 8' would fit right over the companion way on Taleisin.)

Larry had struggled with neurological disorder in recent years. May he forever sail calm seas on a broad reach! Our thoughts and prayers to Lin.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Larry, and prayers for Lin. Their works were some of my first reading when converting from paddle craft to sail. They expanded my world.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

hardee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to a message about Larry's passing away:

https://www.soundingsonline.com/news/eight-bells-legendary-bluewater-sailor-larry-pardey-passes-away

And here is a link to a book about their sailing lives:

As Long As it's Fun

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Barry Rietz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: "Larry Pardey" Reply with quote

BobJarrard, Back in the early years of the 1970's the Pardeys promoted the "go simple, go light, and go now" philosophy. Their Seraffyn, a Bristol Channel cutter was only 24' in length, hardly comfortable for even two people, but they persevered and made it work! Interest in the little cutter was so strong that
Lyle Hess the designer, contracted with a fiberglass company to build hulls for those who wanted to construct their own boat. We built the very first fiberglass cutter at my boatyard in San Diego and during the construction, Lyle Hess and the Pardeys would frequently visit to watch it come together. About the time it was completed, the Pardey's had started construction on Taleisen, at a rented barn at Lake Elsinore in the mountains just east of Newport Beach. There were frequent "work gatherings" at the "barn". If you were there at the time, we must have met up as everyone was like family. Larry Pardey was a master craftsmen, without an equal, and along with Lynn, created a spirit of adventure in every person who would be sailing the Seven Seas!
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Their Seraffyn, a Bristol Channel cutter was only 24' in length

The Pardey's were both small people. Plus the boat had no engine--so extra room was gained there. The Lyle Hess produced fiberglass Bristol Channel cutter was 28' LOD, but 26' 3" LWL, The first fiberglass BCC was launched in 1975. I sailed aboard John Hess's BCC and considered it cramped for me...Samual L. Morse Company produced the Bristol Channel Cutters until 2017. I believe that the molds then went to Port Townsend: Cape George company--don't know if any more have been produced.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never owned a sail boat but I do enjoy reading their adventure stories. The name escaped my memory but I remember years ago reading about the couple who sailed the world in a sail boat with no motor. Not sure if they had electronics but if I remember correctly they took all their soundings with a lead line.

Fair winds,

Rob

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first two solo circumnavigators did not have engines or electronics: Josh Slocum, a professional mariner, who found "Spray" abandoned in a field, and resurrected her. He circumnavigated 1895-1898 with no chronometer.

The second solo circumnavigator was Harry Pidgeon. He had no sailing experience and learned all that he knew from library books. " Islander" was a scaled up "Sea Bird Yawl" plans from rudder magazine. There was no engine or electronics. He built her on the beach in Los Angels harbor. His first circumnavigation was 1921 thru 1925, his second was 1932 to 1937. The first man to do two solo circumnavigations. Right after WWII Islander was moored next to my father's boat at 22nd street landing in San Pedro. I listened to his tales as a 10 year old, aboard Islander. He set sail on the 3rd circumnavigation in 1947, with his wife and a crew member. He was in his mid 70's and the boat was lost after a hurricane in the New Hebrides in 1948.
Robert H. Wilkinson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another of the old guard passes -
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/17/sports/sailing/marvin-creamer-a-mariner-who-sailed-like-the-ancients-dies-at-104.html?fbclid=IwAR3AshOYMKGxHP0BaM6CE1poFjAApVTQjjMo68wbt45FADZmMlm3ZgZyURc

Rob
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Around the twice with no instruments, even a watch Reply with quote

Look him up on Google, quite a guy. Anyone have a picture of his last boat?
Bob
Robert H. Wilkinson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New York Times Obituary - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/28/obituaries/larry-pardey-dead.html?searchResultPosition=1&fbclid=IwAR2na42U_9HxlD6lY4FvujWoIsagi1n0h3mw5SOkdgt8hphqxLhHVrEjkQY
Barry Rietz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Larry Pardey Reply with quote

Bob J, I have a photo of "Taleisen" tucked away somewhere and I will try to find it over the next few days. If the thread has vanished before I can post it, I will send it direct in a PM.
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry, you can, on the "HomePage" about half way down on the right go to the box that says "View Posts from the Last" and then there is the drop down that will give you some choices, Up to a month back from the current date. I think you can go 1, 2, days, 1 week or a month, IF it is not in the box that has "Most Recent Topics".

Reason being, I'd be interested in that pix too.

Thanks,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: