Auto Pilot Steering system

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PEN

City/Region: New Orleans
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Caprice
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Auto Pilot Steering system Reply with quote

I have a c-22 with a Honda 90 (new) . Do any of ya'll have an auto pilot? .
if so.. details please and thank you. Paul Nelson, New Orleans

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 4 boats, 3 of them sailboats. Autopilots on all. Went to Mexico on the 25 sail and the So Pac and Alaska with the 36. I loved them all. Most important, it steers a straight course which if you're out of sight of land is important Next, steering any boat for hours on end takes patience, especially when you're going slow (<20, usually 7). An autopilot allows me to navigate, that is seeing everything around me and avoid them, as well a steering around debris. Also, if everything is clear for miles, I can get a cup of coffee. Judy doesn't allow me to drink beer when the boat is moving.

Journey On has an Raytheon which I installed when we got the boat, 15 years ago. I've sent the computer back to have it repaired once, good service through their repair dept.

I have several thoughts. First any functioning autopilot is better than none. Second, since Journey On is a 25, it has hydraulic steering and allows me to use a hydraulic pump autopilot. And finally, I think all the various autopilots are good and cheap: Lawrence, Garmin, Raytheon and so on. You might get one that's compatible with your plotter. One might do one thing better, the other another thing. You decide what you want: fishing, cruising, etc.

But get an autopilot.

Boris
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the Garmin Reactor with the smart pump on my 22. When I upgraded to the 25 earlier this year, I pulled it out and put it in my 25. It was a great autopilot in the 22. It could navigate up a rats butt. (Or at least thru some narrow channels on the St. John's River and a few other places.) I'm having some issues with it on my 25 right now, but I think they are due to some steering hydraulic system problems I'm working through. (See my thread on rebuilding the steering helm...) Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autopilot --> YES. Fro why Jay said. Straight line at slows peeds, especially in fog (sometimes so thick it is hard to see down to the water. <-- NOT KIDDING!!

Fogust is a real month.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

PEN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Auto Pilot Steering system Reply with quote

Hi fellow Brats.. And thank you for your excellent thoughts..
Here is the deal.. currently, Caprice has RayMarine e7/e7d display, st70 auto pilot controller and smart pilot xr-5 smart pilot attached to the steering wheel. Steering is with cables back to the new Honda 90. Yes, the unit would auto steer, but when de-activated, the steering was VERY difficult. It was as iff the steering was not completely de-=activated. Unit is old, RayMarine could not service. But were helpful and thru talking it out, the issue on these units is ware in the spring/bronze internal split rings. I have confirmed this wear . Again.. no spare parts, no service. The new steering wheel offered by Ray marine is the EV100. The issue here is that it is designed to fit on a "destroyer " pedestal mounted wheel. I would need to replace the wheel and custom make a bracket for the power wheel. All of which I guess is possible and may be the best solution as I had to toss away the e7/e7d display. So, was just "thinking " out loud to see if any of you folks had similar issues as me. Fair winds and following seas.. Paul
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,
The wheel steering units generally have not been all that satisfactory--as you have learned with all of the excellent re-engineering and trouble shooting you have done... Probably the best was a very old Auto Helm 3000, which had a very small motor with a toothed belt driving a larger wheel, fixed to the "Destroyer wheel" of many sailboats. I had a friend who had a well balanced 55' boat that this unit steered many thousands of miles (but he kept a supply of belts and new motors for when they failed). They were cheap and fairly reliable.

I would guess that the Evolution 100 by Ray Marine is probably a pretty good unit. However overall you would be best served by converting the steering to hydraulic and putting in a hydraulic auto pilot.

I'll confess that the series of C Dorys I have owned were about the only boats I didn't have autopilots on--and said: I am usually on rivers, ICW with traffic, and hand steer most of the time anyway.

Well the current C Dory 25 came with an older RayMarine S1000 unit--it works well--and I have been using it a lot (once I figured out that some one put a second "on" switch in the negative wire.).

I have some reservation about RayMarine although I have all RayMarine electronics currently and they work very well. FLIR who owns RayMarine has put it up for sale Feb 27 of this year. FLIR bought Raymarine in 2010, and made them to be competitive with all of the other units. But the future is uncertain--depending on who buys the company. If support is available the Evolution 150 hydraulic is a good unit for the C Dory 22 or 25.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
PEN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Auto Pilot Steering system Reply with quote

Hi Bob GREAT to hear from you..and of course your sage advice. So, for now, I am thinking of holding off on the power steering,,..but on my
last Crosby 26 cruiser, it was a DREAM .. and yes, it was hydro and maybe when I do jump to power steering, I'll go that way ! Not sure of costs.. but
then again, like all boating bucks... they are an "investment" .. right?! and
it is just a scrap of paper you give someone after the units are installed ..
what's not to like about that !
Best to you and yours... keep away from c-19. Paul
mikr21226@gmail.com

City/Region: Key West
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Life Savor
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a picture of their installation of a lowrance autopilot installation? I am concerned where to place the computer (NAC) and the pump on my 25.

Mike deBettencourt
2004 C dory 25 Life Savor

kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you send me your iPhone cell number I will try and snap some pictures of it.
mikr21226@gmail.com

City/Region: Key West
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Life Savor
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have an iPhone, but a droid. My phone is 443-642-7332. My mail is mikr21226@gmail.com. Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: