View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Bigger boatitis cured, for now. Reply with quote

A good friend of my just sold his 26' Tollycraft and upgraded to a new-to-him 36 foot Grand Banks Trawler. I've always like the look of a Grand Banks. I drove down to Seattle this weekend to help him cruise it to a boatyard where he will have some minor repair work done.

I confess that I've had bigger-boatitis for some time now, as cruising with family of 4 in a 1982 C-Dory classic is a bit tight. However, while I still pine for a 25' c-Dory, my desire to own a much larger boat has been greatly diminished after this past weekend.

First of all, the engine room on that thing, well, just the fact that it HAS an engine room, THAT YOU CAN WALK IN...with two massive diesel engines, each requiring 3 gallons of oil. It's too much. The dock lines, the anchor, the bumpers, everything is super sized. You're not a boat owner anymore, you're a ship owner.

It's certainly not a boat that one would use in any casual way (i.e., Hey, it's sunny and the bay is calm, let's go crabbing right now!). I guess it's for a life-style that I don't have the time or $$ for at this point in my life.

I keep my boat in the Marina during the summer and I tend to notice that the boats that go out the most are the smallest ones!

I did love that the boat had a fly bridge though. I love the fly bridge. Way up there, you're the king of world.

Carry on.
WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a 26' John Almand

9'-10" beam

Single screw

Convertible fly-bridge

Was fairly easy

Except with that single engine

Docking was tough every so often

Just like this one but two years newer

Linky

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: