hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a West Marine "SuperSpot" handheld, rechargeable LED spotlight for six years. Over the last year, the battery charges just weren't lasting very long. This year they are down to lasting about 2-3 minutes or less, and so I went looking for a battery replacement. Thinking Batteries Plus, I called, and they can replace (by putting together a few -6- AA Ni-MH cells to make up a replacement) for the ones in the spotlight. About $40.oo. On a whim, I called West Marine to see how much a new battery from them would be. Ahhhh, they don't have replacement batteries.......BUT, "Did you buy that spot light from us?" Well, yes. "OK, are you a West Marine Advantage member?" Well, yes. "OK, let me find your proof of purchase. Do you know when you bought it?" Ah, well a few years ago, maybe 5. "OK, well it was in Feb 2012. I will email that to you. You print it off and take it into your local West Marine store and they will replace it. You are dissatisfied with the battery life right?"

Done and Done. And it is only 40 miles to the closest WM store, who has several of these in stock and will have one on hold for me to pick up on Friday.

AND on Friday, West Marine is having a huge in store sale. It's a WIN, WIN, WIN. and why I like to support my "local" brick and mortar, and the mariners that work there.

***** (5 Stars) for super customer service.

Here is the link to the light:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--led-superspot-rechargeable-searchlight--16320061?recordNum=7

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thinking Batteries Plus, I called, and they can replace (by putting together a few -6- AA Ni-MH cells to make up a replacement) for the ones in the spotlight.

I have gone to Interstate (in Everett, but they are all over) numerous times as they able to "build" replacement batteries for much less than purchasing them from the brand name companies. I've done flashlights (work), drills etc. And they were quick.

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been buying replacement batteries (for B&D hedgetrimmer, Ryobi grass trimmer, Shark vacuum, and Worx leaf blower) on line from Powerextra. In each case the battery is powerful, longlasting and relatively inexpensive. Needless to say, I'm a satisfied customer

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Art in Fairfield Harbour

City/Region: Fairfield Harbour
State or Province: NC
Photos: RED TOP
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Great Service Reply with quote

We have had great service from our local former C-Dory dealer, parts, repairs, annual service, etc. They still sell used (consignment) C-Dory's, just do not sell new ones.

Mobile East Marine
13398 Hwy 55, Bayboro, BC 28509
252 745 5615

knot home

City/Region: Johnson City
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Best of Times
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Three Rivers Marine. Crystal River Fl Reply with quote

Recently completed a trip in Florida and while there I left my TC for bottom painting as well as various engine and trailer repairs. All communication and work was done very well. I highly recommend them if your are in the area!
RichardM

City/Region: Akron
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Pangur Ban
Photos: Pangur Ban
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good practical advice from West Systems Epoxy's customer service people.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally decided to spring for the Fell Marine Electronics MOB+ electronic kill switch system. Then I got a bit of a prod from a fellow BRAT who ordered on Thanksgiving day and posted that they had some good pricing. Great,
but I'm not so proficient at ordering stuff on line and so today to confirm my order I called the Wast Marine customer service number (1-800-BOATING) and

WOW, did I get a surprise. I had a backlog of Gold Account rebate certificates that had recently expired. That was the BAD news. The GOOD news, was that she would revive them and put them back into my account so I can use them to buy my new VHF when it comes in at the right price.

This is not insignificant, (over $100 worth), and they could have said nothing. I might never have known the difference.

And YES, I will be continuing to support my local Wast Marine store.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Marine has been far more consumer friendly the last year or so....but company was bought in Sept, private equity firm Monomoy Capital Partners for $328 million. Oct 23, the CEO who had lead the company for 5 years, Matt Hyde, was fired. The CFO is temporarily in charge---so I think West Marine's performance is up in the air now...
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: transom rot Reply with quote

Ashbreez Boatworks LLC (Chad & Joel Morse) Anchorage

Did a good job of bringing my boat back from the brink When I discovered a wet transom and hull. Not cheap but excellent to work with and they did what they said they would do.
I would definitely use them again.

Jack

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding West Marine, while their prices can be high, they (at least my local store) have always stood behind what they sale. Then recently I purchased the Engle Cooler on line from them. I was able to get a lower price with their price matching guarantee, and that was against Amazon. In fact, I called back two more times as the Amazon price dropped. It then dropped a third time, rather sharply. That call the WM representative was a little more hesitant to give me the refund on the price matching, and said they can only do that once. I asked him where it stated that, and that I had already price matched for a refund two other times with no problem. He placed me on hold for a few minutes and came back and said they would price match! So perhaps the new ownership is changing things for the better with customer service. (Although I never really had much of an issue before, but I know in the past I don't believe they would price match Amazon or other online retailers.) Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only took about 2 days to find this thread again. (Wish it was stuck on the home page somewhere.)

Bringing it back again, -- just in case. (I will be looking at/for some new posts.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to give an example of some outstanding customer service to Outland Hatch covers.

My 25 came with a PVC white cover over the forward hatch, which also has a Norco solar vent. I figured it was pretty secure, since we have trailered the boat several thousand miles.

During Hurricane Sally, the PVC cover broke and half went off to the swamp. I was left with:

So I am trying to figure out what the material is, and how to order it, plus how in the World am I going to make the precise cuts to make it fit. I should have looked at the turn buttons: They had the answer "Outland".

I finally happened upon the web site above. I sent an E-mail at 10 PM on Tuesday night. Wednesday Morning I had a phone call from one of the owners, saying that they were all out measuring boats, but if I could send a photo or other information, they could make a new cover for me. I sent a photo of the Bomar Hatch, and that it was on a 25' C Dory, probably purchased about 2013, and the owner's first name was Ray... That afternoon I got another phone call, they had the original purchase order, and the precise measure meets from the prior owner--gave me the date and last name..Confirmed. CC info given. Shipped Thursday, and arrived Saturday, packed like it was a work of art--which it was...Cost $30, plus $11 two day priority mail!

Here is the turn button open when you lay the cover on top:

And turn button closed to hold the cover in place:

OK, why a cover over the hatch? It protects the acrylic lens of the Bomar Hatch from scratches and UV. It blocks light at night (and can be removed if you wish). It keeps the cabin cooler during the day. We had always put a "shade" across the bottom of the hatch opening. Not necessary with this hatch cover.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing this reminds me that my latches seem a little loose on that v-berth hatch. Anyone know how to tighten them up? The 22 just had a screw in the handle. I can’t find one in the 25 and can’t figure out how to tighten it up.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look on the underside Colby. I have never had to tighten one. up. Are the gaskets in good shape? Hinge seem sloppy? The "tightening" is basically as the cam engages the "ramp" on the inner frame. Is is possible that the wedge/ramp could be either moved or shimmed. If you cannot find an adjustment, then putting in shims would be by plan (assuming gaskets are still in good shape.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
I'm not sure about the gaskets. Kind of hard to see them under the other hardware. The port side leaks a tad bit in a hard rain. And when latching them, seems a little looser than the other side. Both sides could actually be tightened up slightly. I'll look and see if I can add shims. I agree that if the gasket is still good, that would do the trick. On the 22, if the latch got a little loose, it would also leak some. But it was an easy fix just turning the screw in a bit. Actually, I think it was that over time the screw would work it's way out slightly. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: