The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cleaning rust from stainless
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to know more about Chrome....did you know that up until the early 1950's Chrome ore was mined in Tehama County (Northern California)
I don't even know what the ore looks like but it sure changes the properties of steel... years ago I played with trying to chrome plate plastic, sure wish I had kept up at it.... I could afford "the big boat"

Joel
SEA3PO
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry about the retired science teacher blackboard drill.....

Joe, personally I love it, thanks. I saved your explanations.

Do you know (or anyone else) what the actual chemical process is that has oxalic acid "disappear" rust?
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
Quote:
Sorry about the retired science teacher blackboard drill.....

Joe, personally I love it, thanks. I saved your explanations.

Do you know (or anyone else) what the actual chemical process is that has oxalic acid "disappear" rust?

Acids are widely used in cleaning process, especially industrially, as they react easily with various chemicals and can be used to remove unwanted chemicals them from manufactured objects when needed. Indeed, "Acid Bath" is a common industrial process.

As far as the oxalic acid in Bar Keeper's Friend removing rust, here's a quote from Wikipedia:

"Oxalic acid's main applications include cleaning or bleaching, especially for the removal of rust (iron complexing agent). Bar Keepers Friend is an example of a household cleaner containing oxalic acid. Its utility in rust removal agents is due to its forming a stable, water soluble salt with ferric iron, ferrioxalate ion." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxalic_acid#Cleaning

So it reacts with the rust to form a compound that dissolves in water and washes away.

More questions? Ask Dave, our Resident Chemist Emeritus, who's way ahead of a Retired High School Science Teacher Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The acid dissolves the rust, putting the iron into solution as Fe+3, which complexes with the oxalate ion, C2O4-2, forming ferric oxalate, or a soluble variant. Oxalate or oxalic acid is an efficient iron complexer, to the extent that foods high in it such as rhubarb are not recommended for folks who are iron deficient. But, it does do a job on rust.

I have heard of the use of a paste made of water and oxalic acid to scrub rust off stainless brightwork. Anybody use that?

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When cruising in the sailboats, we kept at least a pound of powdered oxalic acid aboard. At times we used that as a paste to clean SS, as well as stains on the teak decks. Be sure and handle the powdered oxalic acid with nitrile or latex glovers on! I used a paste last night to remove some stains in the bowel of our bathroom sink yesterday.

On the C Dory I find the Barkeeper's Friend to be an excellent product to keep aboard for many reasons--including getting blood stains off the fiberglass, as well as removing the waterway "smile".

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:

I would think a polish is an abrasive, and doesn't remove all the rust.

Boris

That is exactly how stainless gets shiny in the first place. Rolling Eyes
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is a new twist.

The basics: The bars are 304 Stainless, with welded seams and some loops of the same material welded onto them. They have been polished to a "brushed - not quite matte, finished. One week of use, on salt water, and one day of really good salt water dousing and the rust is showing up.

An option: We have a powder coating facility here in town, "Dog House powder coating" with a pretty good reputation. Talking with the owner there, he offered this: A clear coat powder coating. Do it over the polished stainless 304 and call it good. Service for some pieces that he has done that way for the Coast Guard is going on 10 years -- he says.

My Thoughts and Questions: Could that really work? Doesn't stainless need access to air to NOT RUST? This is not a piece that would be getting metal dings and chips, and if it works like he says it could be a cure. What am I missing? Would it need the pacification done first?

Thoughts appreciated.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Cleaning rust from stainless Reply with quote

We had a stainless cover over the boats shore power outlet. The only place rust showed up was under a clear plastic sticker. Remove sticker polish and the rust is gone not to reappear as yet. The polish I previously recommended has a protectant built in. Fresh water rinsing can't hurt. Powder coating would be a disaster I think as the rust would lift the coating. I don't know if I have ever seen powder coated stainless. There are two types of powder coating one has the metal hot and it is dipped into a dry air bath with the color. The other the metal is cold and the coating is hot. That normally does not work as well. Should have sprung for 316. Is this for your radar pedestal?
D.D.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, as I understand the process, to get good adhesion on SS you are going to have to bead blast, sand blast, and or etch (phosphate), which is going to change the nature of the surface. It is also desirable to passivate the stainless (different way of "calming" it down.. Smile

When I see SS oxidizing badly, it makes me wonder about the quality of the alloy.

I would find out exactly what process the coater uses, to prep the SS, and then ask to see the SS which was treated on the CG vessel, before investing.

Powder coating can be very durable, but it can also chip, and degrade with time.
drbridge

C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am bringing this post back because of a product I found that worked really well on our boat.
In early spring I spent a lot of time buffing waxing and detailing our boat. I wanted to use good quality products and since many of you have recommended Collinite wax, that is what I went with. I was very happy with how it worked. While ordering the wax from their site. I saw that they make a Metal Wax No. 850 "Removes Corrosion & Prevents Rust". I decided to try some. I was amazed at how well it cleaned up the light rust and salt deposits on the stainless steel railings, Radar arch, rocket launchers, rod holders and cleats. They all were starting to look pretty shabby. This stuff took it off with almost no effort. Just wipe it on let dry to a haze and wipe off. I was very happy with how it turned out and after a month off fishing and being moored up at Sekiu none of the rust has returned and it cleaned up very well.
I would imagine that it does have Oxalic acid in it and who knows what else.
I have not seen it mentioned on the site before, so I just thought I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good stainless cleaning wax.

breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Magic 400
Use on light rust or tarnish, shines up metal like new.
LOVE this stuff!!!!
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Magic-400-Ounce-Polish/dp/B000BO8Z9I/ref=asc_df_B000BO8Z9I/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312168126179&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15847883529428578680&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033840&hvtargid=pla-435695227190&psc=1

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, Thanks for bringing this one back. Good to know there are options. Sounds like the Collinite you used is a good product.

I wound up using a product called "Spotless Stainless" from
spotlessstainless.com
And it worked very well. It is a passivating agent, and the primary ingredient is citric acid. I did two thorough applications and have been pretty satisfied. I could be tempted to try the polish you found though. Thanks again.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

drbridge

C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey
If you want to try out a sample before you buy, I have plenty left over. I only used about 3oz. out of a 16 oz. bottle to do all the stainless on our boat. You are welcome to try some on your boat. Just let me know.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, Thanks, I'll give you a call.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: