View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Bottom fishing out of Ilwaco Reply with quote

Anybody fish around the A jetty? I want to do some bottomfishing out of Ilwaco while I'm there this week.
Any advice on fishing or safely boating in the area are welcome and encouraged.

Clay

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyboo is the resident whiz on fishing the lower Columbia and will probably chime in. I used to spend a fair bit of time fishing the mouth before I started spending summers in AK. We never fished the A jetty much but would hit the sunken part of the south jetty now and then and pick up some rock fish. Naturally, You would want to hit it around slack tide so you have time to fish it before getting swept off the fish. Keep in mind it can get real snotty out there on an outgoing tide.
clayhubler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ken for the info. We are going to give this a whirl. I have told the kids that we are going to bail if conditions aren't perfect.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine likes to fish over the sunken jetty on the south side and talked me into it a few times. I only brought the fish home to cook and eat once. I call 'em worm fish and do not care for worms in my food no matter how "normal" that fool tells me it is.

At high slack using jigs he called shrimp flies he catches dozens of the ugly things by drifting across the sunken part of the jetty and jigging when right on top of the rocks to over the edge from 16' to 30' of water. I always just run the boat while he catches the worthless, disgusting giant bullheads. Someone has to be watchful and in control throughout the whole process because the rocks are close and big.

He says he really likes eating them but I think he is lying, and if he isn't full of bull he is full of worms.

Last edited by TyBoo on Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
A friend of mine likes to fish over the sunken jetty on the south side and talked me into it a few times. I only brought the fish home to cook and eat once. I call 'em worm fish and do not care for worms in my food no matter how "normal" that fool tells me it is.

At high slack using jigs he called shrimp flies he catches dozens of the ugly things by drifting across the sunken part of the jetty and jigging when right on top of the rocks to over the edge from 16' to 30' of water. I always just run the boat while he catches the worthless, disgusting giant bullheads. Someone has to be watchful and in control throughout the while process because the rocks are close and big.

He says he really likes eating them but I think he is lying, and if he isn't full of bull he is full of worms.

Mike, you’re holding back. Tell us what you really think. Razz

clayhubler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's not what I was expecting to hear. Where does one go for these prized rockfish I'm always hearing about? Probably way offshore? I didn't go out yesterday, the bar was restricted to 26' and over most of the day. I did walk the north jetty and saw lots of boats fishing the south side in the afternoon. They just drift along jigging about 30 feet from the rocks. The guys fishing off the jetty tell me they are all rockfishing and the catch is excellent. Maybe the worms stay on the Oregon side!
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay, when the waters got angry, the kid and I would head to the bakery at Longbeach. That diversion probably aint going to work for you though Smile

Mike, them aint worms, thems flavor nodules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: