The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

NEMA 2000 TO 150 Honda

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milderd1910@yahoo.com

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: delfin
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject: NEMA 2000 TO 150 Honda Reply with quote

I did buy a new Garmin ECHO MAP SERIES GPS CHART PLOTTER. It does have the screen for engine functions. I do have the 2000 connection cable. The engine end is connected to the engine data port. The motor is a Honda BF 150.2007 I cannot find the data port on the motor or in the tech manual. The wiring diagram has the location of a data port. I cannot find it on this engine. Thank You Neal Mitchell
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I hear your frustration and I'm sorry. But, are you 100% sure there even is one?
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neal,
After I posted on another thread that ‘most major’ engine makers designed in and provided a N2K port on their engines by 2006 depending on SN, a Brat Honda owner (I forget who) corrected me that Honda did not provide one until much later (2010?).

A ‘data port’ may just be one where engine info can be downloaded to a Honda dealer laptop using only proprietary Honda software. A ‘data port’ is NOT a N2K network connection.

A N2K connector is a different animal.

Is your Garmin N2k ‘backbone’ independently powered by a 12v connection (preferably at midpoint)?

Is it ‘terminated’ by Garmin caps after your EchoMap and also after the engine data port? Otherwise it will not work.

You posted that “The engine end is connected to the engine data port. The motor is a Honda BF 150.2007 I cannot find the data port on the motor or in the tech manual. The wiring diagram has the location of a data port. I cannot find it on this engine.”

How exactly did you connect a T takeoff from your N2K backbone to your engine data port when you could never find it? That makes no sense. Suggest you expound upon or revise your description of what you have done.

Many Brats are standing by to help.

But you can’t claim that you successfully connected to an engine connector that you simultaneously claim that you simply can not find anywhere on the engine.

Best,
John

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 08 BF90D does not do NMEA. Apparently the BF100 which came out in 2015 does.

For the 150 you need to check the serial number with Honda to see if it does NMEA, but if it is not 2012 (I'm guessing) or later, the odds are pretty low that it does.

I believe that the NMEA stuff started on the BF150A with "BANJ-1304171 ~ Forward"

See this: http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/misc/nmea2000_pgn_list.pdf
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have stayed out of this, because my shop manual updates only go until about Sept 2007. To this date I don't find any connection which would be NNEA 2000 computable. Looking at the Honda web site, it appears that only Honda 150s beyond the serial number: BANJ-1304171 are NMEA 2000 computable.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
nmitch2859

City/Region: virginiabeach
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Delfin
Photos: Delfin
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You All Who Replied' My shop manual does have a data port in the wiring diagram'the model is 2006;type BFAXCA; Serial BEANJ-1212054; I do not think I can connect my Garmin to the engine by NEMA 2000. I do have the right connector to connect a HONDA to the 2000 network. THANKS NEAL.
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct that the "Data" port is for diagnostic services by the authorized person, like an OBD port on your car or truck. It does not give NMEA 2000 information. I wish it did, since I also have 2007 150 HP Honda outboard, and already have an MNEA backbone for fuel sender and communication between MFD devices.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to derail this conversation but the gauge for speed for our 2007 honda 150 is displaying 1/2 speed, versus our actual and GPS speed. Any easy fix? Thanks
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably a "pitot" tube type of speedometer. There is a small oriface on the leading edge of the lower unit. Water pressure is transmitted thru small tubes to a pressure gauge, which is calibrated in MPH or NMPH. If the tube is obstructed or pinched it will read low.

If you want accurate "thru the water speed", go to a paddle wheel type of transducer. Cleaning the tube and orifice will help give a more accurate reading. But these have been around forever, and were the only "speedometers" on many boats back ihe 40's and 50's. I have not used one since the early 1960's, when paddle wheel transducers became readily available.

If you want more modern technology get a doppler ultrasonic gauge (at a good price: Martron and Brooks and Gatehouse make them in the $800 to $1400 range).

I only use GPS speed. When I was racing sailboats, I used a paddlewheel type which was quite accurate, unless it was fouled by sea grass etc. Then you had to pull it out to clean-leaving a 1 1/2" hole in the bottom of the boat, which you quickly put a dummy plug into, so you could clear the transducer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: