View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Portable Fuel Tank suggestions? Reply with quote

Below is a picture of my starboard tank... I would like to plumb it to allow easy (and safe) use of a typical portable red fuel tank that's commonly used in small outboard boats. I figure this will be a good way to periodically run the outboard throughout the year and also be useful for shorter trips when I don't want to fill the main tanks.

Since this is a new (to me) boat and owning a boat in general is new to me... I'd like to idiot-check my plan. A C-Dory video gave me the idea... but the guy in the video just had different hoses to swap out, and I'd like something a little more, um, permanent? Professional? Not sure of the wording, but definitely not judging the other installation or anything... I just don't want to be swapping hoses.

My thought is to put a "T" in the fuel line for the Starboard tank... put a check valve between the T and the tank to prevent fuel going back into the built-in tank... and put a Yamaha-type fuel connection branched off the T. I have a portable fuel tank with a Yamaha-type fuel hose with bulb and so on. Are there any "bad ideas" in this approach that I'm not thinking of? Feel free to chime in. I don't want to reinvent the wheel - I'm sure others here have done this, but not seeing exactly this posted in here (maybe not searching on correct terms or whatever)...

But I DID want to post the picture anyway just to make sure I'm properly identifying the connections to the tank correctly...

Left to right is (1) fuel supply to the outboard (and I believe it's 5/8?) (2) Fill hose for tank (3) vent line? and the electrical connection in the back is for the fuel gauge?

Thanks - I'm pretty handy in general, but being careful... especially with fuel system.

[/img]

'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Left to right is (1) fuel supply to the outboard (and I believe it's 5/8?) (2) Fill hose for tank (3) vent line? and the electrical connection in the back is for the fuel gauge?

After digging around a bit online, I see that I likely have the hoses wrong - the 3/8" hose with the 90 degree fitting appears to be the "withdrawal" hose and the 5/8" hose is the vent hose? Other than that, any suggestions on what I'm trying to do?

I'll of course trace the actual hoses when I get back out to my boat (which is stored about 45 min away)... I'm just hoping to have the right parts gathered before I go out there next time.

Thanks.
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main fuel tanks can be disconnected from the main motor using a fairly standard removable connector used for external tanks. I just install the same connector on the portable tanks and they all fit. This also facilitates running the last of the gasoline out of the carbs to stall the motor, just unhook it. The connections have ball checks that seal when disconnected so gasoline doesn't leak, but it is best to store with the line above the top of the tank. If I'm not going to use the motor for a while, I run non-ethanol or synthetic gas for that last little bit to get all of the ethanol out of my carbs.

That said, the 2003 Honda 90 has always started right away and never given even one problem, except the time I ran completely out of gas and had to use the electric to get back home, about 4 miles. The 9.9 kicker of course, was of no use either.

For maintenance, it is probably good to get rid of the ethanol in fuel injectors too if you have a fuel-injected motor. I'm not sure there are any advantages to permanent installation between the main tank and the motor. A detachable connector from main tank to motor gives what you seem to be asking for and solves several potential problems as well as offering flexibility to use ANY external tank with a Honda connector. I pray every time I fill up my tanks at a little-used marina or a small gas station that I won't get bad gas. So far, so good, or maybe the Honda is just that good, but I have heard stories of people not so lucky using questionable fuel sources.

Seems best to have the option to draw gasoline from more than one source to me.

Baxter

City/Region: Sheridan
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Baxter ll
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Extra fuel tank. Reply with quote

Extra fuel tank I just use an Atwood 6 gallon Outboard with the standard Connector directly to my Honda’s, yes twins. I also use it as aux tank for my Honda 2000 generator. I would not recommend the Atwood though as the plastic swells up in heat and deforms permanently. Dealer will not stand behind it. I am in process of dealing with factory. Modern tanks have no vents which complicates the problem. Give me the old standard porta steel tank with vent.

I burn only alcohol free gas unless like no Choice like on Chesapeake bay in Maryland where against the law. Hate that stuff. Corn is for eating or making whisky.

My goal keep it simple.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree if you can find one of the older metal tanks in good condition it would be better. Your second assessment of the fuel lines is correct.

I don't like check valves anywhere, especially in a fuel line. I would put a two way valve (Like the port/starboard valves).

I also agree that disconnecting at the motor is a better idea than a T or Y valve. It is really nice to have a way to run the fuel out--but I would still drain any residual in a Honda Carburetor.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
--but I would still drain any residual in a Honda Carburetor.

Yes, easily done if not running for several days, and probably why I have had such good luck. I usually disconnect from main and connect to synthetic gas in my small portable tank while coming into dock.

I also run gas completely out of my mowers, log splitters, chain saws, etc. (anything gas powered), after use. I found this neat little pump from Harbor Freight, which gets most of the gasoline out so you don't waste it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/battery-operated-liquid-transfer-pump-63847.html
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Racor there are two inputs for fuel and two outputs. I would connect my temporary tank to the second input to the Racor. Then by setting the fuel tank selector to OFF, the engine fuel would be drawn from the extra tank through the filter to the engine.

You can get quick connect/disconnect fuel fittings that close off which will allow you to connect and disconnect the extra tank when you want. I would have a priming bulb on the line from the extra tank to help get the flow started if needed.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a 12 gallon portable marine tank between two built in tanks. I did this to increase my range and also as small tank for short trips if I didn't want to fill my main tanks. I ran the hose to a 'T' valve next to the fuel filter so that I would only have to turn the valve on and the main fuel valve off when I wanted to use my auxiliary tank. Works very well for me.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: