The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Navionics app for iphone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gallen

City/Region: Santa Rosa
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rosy B
Photos: Rosy B
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Navionics app for iphone Reply with quote

Does anybody use the Navionics app on your iphone? If so, are you pleased with it?

Thanks for the feedback,
Gary
Baxter

City/Region: Sheridan
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Baxter ll
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: iPhone Navtronics Reply with quote

I use on IPad same platform. Works fine but, have preferred Garmin Blue Tooth which they no longer support want to keep on own equipmentbi guess.
Did you hear Garmin Nav on aircraft was hacked last week disabled all aircraft with Garmin Nav systems. Has been restored. Source AV Web. Suspected Russians asking $10 m ransom. Are boats next or to small a market?

Carry paper.

RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I primarily use the app on my iPad but since Navionics allows use on more than one device I also have it loaded on my iPhone SE. I am very happy with the app, especially on my iPad. I don’t use the phone for navigational purposes because the screen on the SE is so small, but i do use it when I’m just puttering in a chair someplace and want something to do. The phone provides me with all the research and functionality of the app so I can look at various cruising grounds, marina/anchorage reviews, plan a route, etc. So it’s a great way to pass time at an airport, doctor’s office, in-law’s house, etc.... or if on a road trip and you are curious about a waterway you’re passing by. With that said, it’s also nice to know I have a backup navigational device available if my iPad should fail.

Rob
gallen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers, guys. I’m looking at it for a backup to my Garmin system, which I’m having problems with.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use Navionics on the I pad (although it is also on the I phone, I rarely use it there. The charts on our RayMarine plotters also have Navionics chips.

I also use the I pad (or occasionally I phone) for planning trips routing.

There is another alternative and that is Aqua Maps. Aqua Map has Active Captain on it. There Is some licensing changes going on, and I am not sure where it will lead with Active Captain. But so far it has been still working fine.

I compared the Navionics and Aqua Map for Bodega Bay, and surrounding area. The data and information seem comparable.

If the Garmin is giving trouble, and an older unit, I would suggest that you watch for sales, and update with a new Garmin. The newer units have some very nice features. They update faster, and receive the US GPS system and GLONASS (Russian system) with slightly better accuracy.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: iPhone Navtronics Reply with quote

Baxter wrote:
I use on IPad same platform. Works fine but, have preferred Garmin Blue Tooth which they no longer support want to keep on own equipmentbi guess.

It isn't Garmin "Bluetooth," it WAS Garmin Blue Chart, and you are correct, it is discontinued. We navigated most of the Great Loop in 2017 using Garmin Blue Chart, I think Jonathan Arthur turned us on to it in Melbourne Beach, FL. It will never be updated, and I think they have shut off the connection for Active Captain as well. But I still have all the charts from our original purchase, and it still works.

I have three nav apps on my iPad: Garmin Blue Chart, Navionics, and AquaMap. Dr. Bob is correct, AquaMap recently changed its business model. When I got AquaMap, I paid for the app, and chart updates were free for life. That still works. Same with Navionics, I have U.S. & Canada HD, for which I paid for the app and can download charts for free. They keep trying to switch me to the Navionics Boating app, which is subscription based, but I see no reason at all to do that.

But for me, AquaMap is the cat's meow, I would probably use it even if I had to pay for the chart regions on a subscription basis. It has Active Captain and Waterway Guides. It has a ton of features I will never use because I do not a WiFi system on board, but it can monitor all your systems, play Yankee Doodle Dandy, and cook you breakfast (not really, but you know what I mean). The iPad mount is just to the left of the helm on the bottom of the radio rack (custom built by David McKibben, it is attached to the bottom of the chart rack).

I also have AquaMap on my iPhone SE, but as noted, the screen is really too small. It would be better than nothing in a pinch!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

gallen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info, Thanks. I’m sure using it on my ipad would be a much better option than the phone.

Dr. Bob—my Garmin unit is the Echomap CV, which we installed less than two years ago. It replaced a 14 year old Raymarine unit. The Garmin has worked fine until recently, when it began to turn off at regular intervals, especially when running in bumpy water. It always powers back up when I turn it on again, but will often go off in a matter of minutes. Frustrating while salmon fishing and also dangerous when several miles offshore of Bodega Bay.

I assumed there was a loose connection somewhere, so I cleaned and reconnected connections on both batteries, behind the unit, at the fuse box, and at one of the breakers. Checked the fuse. Still having the problem. I imagine there is an interruption in voltage somewhere at some point, which is causing the problem. I am not an electrician by any stretch of the imagination, but my son-in-law, who installed the unit, is. Before I go to the hassle of hauling the boat out of the marina in the middle of salmon season and taking it to my son-in-law or a marine mechanic, any suggestions for a procedure I should follow? I should mention the boat has been in the Spud Point Marina at Bodega Bay for over 15 years.

Thanks.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gallen wrote:
Great info, Thanks. I’m sure using it on my ipad would be a much better option than the phone.

Dr. Bob—my Garmin unit is the Echomap CV, which we installed less than two years ago. It replaced a 14 year old Raymarine unit. The Garmin has worked fine until recently, when it began to turn off at regular intervals, especially when running in bumpy water. It always powers back up when I turn it on again, but will often go off in a matter of minutes. Frustrating while salmon fishing and also dangerous when several miles offshore of Bodega Bay.

I assumed there was a loose connection somewhere, so I cleaned and reconnected connections on both batteries, behind the unit, at the fuse box, and at one of the breakers. Checked the fuse. Still having the problem. I imagine there is an interruption in voltage somewhere at some point, which is causing the problem. I am not an electrician by any stretch of the imagination, but my son-in-law, who installed the unit, is. Before I go to the hassle of hauling the boat out of the marina in the middle of salmon season and taking it to my son-in-law or a marine mechanic, any suggestions for a procedure I should follow? I should mention the boat has been in the Spud Point Marina at Bodega Bay for over 15 years.

Thanks.

On thing that you can do fairly easily and cheaply is to hardwire it directly to a portable 12V battery. If the problem persists - it's in the unit, if it goes away, it's someplace between the unit and the battery in the boat.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take the same tack that Roger suggests--you might just use the engine start or house battery and run an extra set of wires from the battery to the unit. I suspect that there is a corroded connection or some issue somewhere along the way. The Echo Map CV series is a good unit. I bought one for my Son's C Dory 25 about 4 years ago, and it is still working very well. There are ways of voltage logging, but it never hurts to have redundancy (both positive and ground wires).

Regards,
gallen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea. Thanks for the comments. The expertise of this group is a great resource.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gallen wrote:

Thanks.

There was a software update to address this issue a while back.
Did this appear after a update? I have had that happen. If you haven't I would up load the latest garmin update 4-28-2020 or so @ https://www8.garmin.com/support/software/marine.html
worth a try. Thumbs Up
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Navionics app for years on my iPhone and love it. Only challenge is the small screen and my increasingly poor vision
Belle

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2014
Vessel Name: Belle of the North
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Navionics and love it. We also don’t mind the subscription model, they update the charts all the time.

Is it possible your Garmin has a firmware update available? It’s different than a software update. I would try updating to the latest versions of software and firmware. Hopefully that will do the trick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: