The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Vessel Name Decal Size
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StellaBlue

City/Region: San Juan Islands
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Stella Blue
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Vessel Name Decal Size Reply with quote

Hello Good people. Recently purchased a 2019 Venture 26 for use in the San Juan Islands.. I'm away in California and have not even seen the boat in person to date! Therefore I'm wondering about the appropriate size for the vessel name decals to be placed below the two side windows. How tall can the lettering be without it appearing too crowded? I am considering ordering the decals through Boat USA. Any experience with the quality of their decals? Any recommendations as to the best material type for multiple years of life?

I'm very excited to join all of you in this community and look forward to meeting many of you - in person - in the future! Smile

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vessel Name Decal Size Reply with quote

StellaBlue wrote:
... Therefore I'm wondering about the appropriate size for the vessel name decals to be placed below the two side windows. How tall can the lettering be without it appearing too crowded? I am considering ordering the decals through Boat USA. Any experience with the quality of their decals? Any recommendations as to the best material type for multiple years of life? ...

It'll depend on the name of the boat and the font you decide to use.

I used https://doityourselflettering.com/ a number of times and have been very satisfied with the results.

On my 22 cruiser the side name is 7.25" x 28". On the 22 the flat part of the cabin side below the window is about 10" high.

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stellablue,
I purchased my letters from https://doityourselflettering.com. On my 26, the height of the letters are 6 1/2" and the length is 32". They also did my registration numbers. I have used them for several of my boats and they are great. If you can't figure out what you want, call and they will have an advisor help you. If you mess anything up while installing, they replace it free, no shipping or questions asked.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stella, the 2 examples already posted are good ones. You should consider the font style and size. The purpose of the name is to be recognized, so it's better if it is bigger and easily readable from a distance. I used a font that had slightly ronded corners. Less likely to peel up at the points.

Sorry I can't post the link here, but if you go to my album, the top left corner has a sub-album called "Naming Our C-Dory" and you can see a step by step process.

Enjoy the new to you 26, AND plan on coming out to the Friday Harbor C-Brat Get Together in May. There is a current thread addressing that evet running now. We look forward to meeting you.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As those above have noted one reason to have the name is so that the vessel is recognized. I have 8" letters on the side of the current 25. As I recollect our last 22 had about 6.5" letters. The letters are "shadowed in gold" as the C Dory emblem is on this boat. I also had the local vinyl shop do the registration letters and numbers. I suggest that you have the heaviest premium vinyl used--it will look better for a long time. Also consider if you want any graphics, and how long the different fonts are going to be. You want a readable font.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used 8 inches on the cabin side panels we put in contrasting shadow, and reflective lettering, a lot of fun to design and easy to install, we have used BoatUS lettering in the past, can't remember which on line one we used for Sierra, there are many choices, I like 3M brand vinyl. We did the registration and also did the home port on the stern quarters in case we decide to document the boat with the Coast Guard like we did with our last 2 boats.
1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StellaBlue,
I took close-ups of my boat's name, so that you can see how it worked out. My boat is green trim, so the name is green, with gold shadow. The boat numbers are supposed to be block characters, but I deviated slightly, with contrasting white with gold shadow.
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album3073&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a place called BoatLetteringToYou.com. Lots of DIY options (plus T-shirts, coffee mugs, etc.) and a video on how to apply.

I used a matching font on the transom, plus plain font black for the home port. Also a matching font for the State hull ID numbers. Pictures are in my photo album.

I have a CD 16, so my letter size probably would not apply. Be careful of fancy fonts and multiple colors. Looks great in the marina. Might not be what you want when somebody is searching for you with binoculars.

Most difficult part was thinking "If I was a limpet, what font would I use?"

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micahbigsur@msn.com wrote:
We used 8 inches on the cabin side panels we put in contrasting shadow, and reflective lettering, a lot of fun to design and easy to install, we have used BoatUS lettering in the past, can't remember which on line one we used for Sierra, there are many choices, I like 3M brand vinyl. We did the registration and also did the home port on the stern quarters in case we decide to document the boat with the Coast Guard like we did with our last 2 boats.

When I did "SleepyC" I tried to find reflective lettering. I think that is a great idea. Where did you find it?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
When I did "SleepyC" I tried to find reflective lettering. I think that is a great idea. Where did you find it?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

DIY Lettering has "Premium Reflective Vinyl" that is "engineering-grade, retro-reflective 5mil cast vinyl [that] meets or exceeds Federal Specifications L-S 300C (Reflectivity 1) and ASTM-D-4956-99."

I have not seen a sample of this product though.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The large block letter size is excellent for recognition from a distance. We used DIYLettering.com and are happy with their product. You can provide a design for them or they can provide the lettering for you. They offer a variety of colors, letter styles other features. Check out their website.
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:07 am    Post subject: How best to remove? Reply with quote

Somewhat related question, so hopefully it fits in this thread...

What's the best way to remove old lettering?

I've definitely got some re-lettering and re-naming to do!

Thanks

'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate Post removed.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Last edited by hardee on Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN my Album "Naming Our C-Dory" I have the whole removal and applying the new name documented here:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album598&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Choose a font that easily readable from a distance, and with good contrast.

Shading and outlining look great up close but from farther away, become fuzzy edges. I choose a font with slightly rounded corner tips -- they tend to be less likely to curl at the corners.

To answer your question about removal. Some heat helps and a sharp edged plastic scraper. I would do a very good, firm, cut and buff over the area where the old name was or it may be able to be lightly seen even after the vinyl is removed.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used boat-us for the name and cf number. They gave good service and the lettering has lasted for 15 years. It's the 3rd boat for which I have used their service, so I must have been happy.

Remember to use a smaller size for the hailing port.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: