HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trip between Deception Pass Area to John Wayne Marina

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Trip between Deception Pass Area to John Wayne Marina Reply with quote

Have not navigated much other than the waters we have crabbed and shrimped or salmon fished. Limited area of Deception Pass area, Utsalady Bay and Everette Ship Wreck area. So recommendations of what and whens and when nots for this trip. Thinking over in one day, visit, overnight at John Wayne Marina or anchor out in the area, then back to home port area the next day.
I can travel Tuesday thru Friday of next week for a few flexible days for best weather.
Thanks C-Brats
Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travel both ways EARLY in the morning for the flattest water conditions. The area between Smith Island and Deception Pass is generally not very nice when the winds pick up in the afternoon. Personally, I would want to be traveling on the water by 5 am.
Byrdman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks San. Exeactly what I was thinking. Ive used deception pass a couple seasons of shrimping in the area. Thought the other end would be about the same. I appreciate the input.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

san juanderer wrote:
Travel both ways EARLY in the morning for the flattest water conditions. The area between Smith Island and Deception Pass is generally not very nice when the winds pick up in the afternoon. Personally, I would want to be traveling on the water by 5 am.

Good advice. Morning winds will start picking up about 1000. It's about 25 miles, door to door. It is a bit longer but if you have west winds or flood (incoming) tides, it might be worth it to get over closer to the south shore after the Point Wilson Rip and come in on the south side of Protection Island.

The Sequim Bay State Park dock is another couple miles past the John Wayne, and might be worth checking out prior to checking in a JW Marina. Depends on what amenities you are looking for.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Byrdman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harvey. Will be my rookie trip to this area. I had hoped to be out here in March like I generally do but fare to say this has been a tuff year with family and other current world issues. Sure felt great to get out here in Jun even if late, and enjoy one shrimping trip prior to local closures. Crabbing has been great and now time for a bit of leisure boating and shifting to salmon fishing before my help on the farm for full days are requested, Loving the break in the heat... but today and Monday a bit warm even here...but, reminds me of how its running back home...generally about 10-15 degrees warmer all day/night long in TN.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Deception Pass was too rough we used Canoe Pass. Actually, followed a 22 C-Dory through. Canoe Pass is the north side of Pass Island and we got through without too much of a pounding. We were westbound, to the San Juan Islands.

Boris
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
When Deception Pass was too rough we used Canoe Pass. Actually, followed a 22 C-Dory through. Canoe Pass is the north side of Pass Island and we got through without too much of a pounding. We were westbound, to the San Juan Islands.

Boris

Good point Boris, Thanks for the reminder. Always good to have options on the plate.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: