View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:48 am    Post subject: PVC dinghy repair Reply with quote

I recently had a west marine pvc dinghy given to me that needs repair. The transom is rotten and needs to be replaced. I haven't done this before, but I have glued pvc patches, etc. It is a rib, with a fiberglass bottom and a plywood transom. I'm thinking of using the hh-66 vinyl glue. What do I use to bond the plywood and fiberglass to the pvc fabric?
Any advice welcome.
Thanks!

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be interesting. Will watch with you.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

clayhubler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I ordered some west system g-flex epoxy. I still need to make the new transom. Anybody give me a quick rundown on how to post pics from an android phone?
Thanks
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Dinghy Repair Reply with quote

Call Offshore Rafting tel:252.571.0421, Offshore Rafting.com and they may steer you in the right direction.

John
Swee Pea
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayhubler wrote:
Well, I ordered some west system g-flex epoxy. I still need to make the new transom. Anybody give me a quick rundown on how to post pics from an android phone?
Thanks

Ahhh, That one I will be watching too. I have not figured it from either my phone or tablet -- Both android (Samsung)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replaced a couple of inflatable transoms. A lot depends on the material at the junction of the PVC fabric and the plywood. Some have a very heavy and thick plastic, and on that the only thing I found that worked was 5200--that was awkward to clamp. If I had been doing it over, I probably would have used bolts to hold the vinyl in place. Or cut battens and a couple of screws--fill with epoxy later. We didn't have G Flex then--and it may well work.

Be sure and cut and bevel the wood exactly as it was before. I found that there was sort of an "S" curve to the cut out for the pontoons. Each boat design will be different. You also want to epoxy soak any open edges of the plywood before assembly. I would coat with epoxy any holes, such as the drain. Be sure and wash off amine blush as well as light sanding before using another epoxy or coating on the plywood where epoxy was used.

The HH66 will work very well on the PVC. I did some destructive testing when we made the side curtains of Shelter Rite for the current C Dory 25, and the material failed before the glue. If you need to thin it, it is probably best to use their "Thinner". I tried to mix my own--it worked fine, but real MEK is getting difficult to get---and there is a "substitute" which does not mix with the HH66 well. Also be sure the glue brush is tight in the cap. I have had them come loose.

Great project we would love to see some photos. You may have to put the photos in an "Album" on the internet, and then link to that. The format has to be one of the standard photo conventions such as JPEG.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Dinghy Repair Reply with quote

Again, I urge you to visit offshorerafting.com or call them. Be careful if you mention or suggest using 5200 to repair an inflatable. They hate 5200 for inflatable repair and they do this for a living. They are passionate about correct repairs and are the nicest and most knowledgeable people you would ever want to meet.

Their website is loaded with videos on repairs they have done and techniques for various repairs.

John
Swee Pea
clayhubler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you c-brats. I will post some pics here when I get the project a little further along.
I will also check in with offshore rafting for some advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: