The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Advice on replacing boat trailer for our C-Dory Cruiser 22
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having those bunks in the vertical orientation raises the boat higher on the trailer. That increases the distance you have to back into the water with the tow rig. For me, that is just one more thing that can make launching less easy. Lay them down, (and in my case I lowered them too,) making having to back the truck into the water unnecessary.

Also lowers the Center of Gravity on the trailer, wind resistance while towing, and easier access to the cockpit while on the trailer.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

itiming

City/Region: Iron River
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Obsession
Photos: Obsession
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received another aluminum trailer quote. This one is a Tuff Trailer. The aft bunks are horizontal. There are additional cross members, load guides and a spare tire. Some updated features include "sealed-vault' bearings, stainless steel fasteners, aluminum calipers and replaceable spindles.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not familiar with the brand. But many boutique trailer builders use off the shelf parts. That trailer looks far better than the first one.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious what prices you're getting with these quotes?
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think side bunks are more effective than those load guides, at least for keeping the boat off the fenders as you are loading or launching.

Curious what others think as to the number of bunks, (support) there. Horizontal bunks at least increase the support by a factor of 3-4.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
I think side bunks are more effective than those load guides, at least for keeping the boat off the fenders as you are loading or launching.

Curious what others think as to the number of bunks, (support) there. Horizontal bunks at least increase the support by a factor of 3-4.

The side bunks are helpful especially in the 25's, where the margin may be only an inch in some trailers. But The guide ones (which are not as substantial as those illustrated above) are very robust on the LoadRite trailers, and are very helpful.
I have used both, and if well made, both can be very effective.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to have side boards, but never have had them. I have some decent load guides that do ok. I am able to usually get the boat centered close enough. With C-Traveler, if I'm over to one side or the other, that puts me over the fender with 1/4" clearance. Tight! Any higher however means that difference needs to be made up in launch depth. As for bunks, Midnight Flyer came with only 2. I didn't feel that was enough, so I moved those bunks towards the outside, and then placed two more on the inside that were a little bit longer. There was a roller under the bow, but that was only for loading, and did not support the boat at all while out of the water. (It had a few inches of clearance from the hull once the boat was out of the water.) C-Traveler has the two main bunks that run from stern to about the front side windows, then there are two "targeting" bunks. I do have the targeting bunks set up to also support the bow, however they do not have the brunt of the bow's weight on them. I think they share that weight with the bow stop roller. The difference in trailers is that C-Travelers bunks are much heavier 3x9 boards and are up on edge so provide a lot more support than the 2x4's that layed flat under Midnight Flyer. All things considered, I liked Midnight Flyers EZ-Loader trailer better then C-Traveler's Karavan trailer. But that was after I did some mods on it. Not much I can do with the Karavan. Colby
vpik01

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Valkyrie
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: why not rollers? Reply with quote

So much good info already shared in this post. I'm only in my 2nd month of owning my C-Dory 22, it came with a 2005 Load Rite trailer that was equipped with some kind of disc brakes that are not operational right now. Even towing with my Honda Ridgeline (max tow capacity 5k#) I've been comfortable at highway speeds for two 400 mile road trips so far, the first 400 mile road trip (bringing it home) was a bit dicey with a lower ball hitch, I replaced that ball hitch with one about 5" taller and it made aworld of difference.

Anyway, to my question... my trailer came with rollers. I haven't trailered anything bigger than a lightweight sailing dinghy before this so my experience is very limited. I am also doing all my launching and recovering solo... figured as long as I was learning I may as well do it solo and free my wife to focus on our 4 year old.

I love the rollers, boat slides right off in 3 of 3 ramps I've used so far. Bringing it back on means I get wet to my calf's but it's very controlled, I haul the boat with a bow line till I"m close enough to winch it on.

With bunks I figure I'm missing out on loading by driving the boat up onto the trailer? Or is there something else? Thanks!

colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunks are actually easier for centering the boat and I believe provide better support. You can power on or still just walk your boat on and winch the last few inches. Advice is you back in the same distance as it took to float the boat off.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vpik01;

I certainly enjoy roller trailers for the reasons you give. You have to realize that those with bunks love bunks, though they haven't tried rollers. I just accept the fact that I'll be on the roller side, not the bunk side.

Don't change. OK, don't change rollers to bunks.

Boris
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You have to realize that those with bunks love bunks, though they haven't tried rollers.

I’ve had both styles and still like bunks better. Smile
vpik01

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Valkyrie
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Boris and Colby, really appreciate the feedback! Hopefully at some point I'll get to try the bunks but I'm not in a rush to replace the trailer I've got.

Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: