gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherman Cove marina, tiny entrance through a demolished bridge at R8. Slow to idle and hug the red bouys on entering the narrow cut. No speed limit in the cut, crazy.
John

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storm Dog wrote:
hardee wrote:
Glen, Sorry I got behind for a while, (near a month), but back with you now and you are making good time. Sorry about that bump, but glad it's all better now. Stay safe as you continue. Thanks again for sharing and keeping it interesting.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

No problem, Harvey.

I went 81 miles today and anchored at Choctawhatchee Bay Bridge. I needed to anchor in the breeze, keeps the felt temps lower and biting boogers be banished! When I went to bed last night, the temp inside was 81. No need for sheets. I use a Salt bag, which is a sleeping bag liner made of 100% cotton. Can also be used as a summer weight bag. Didn't need it last night. I need to experiment more with my fan! Plus I have cell coverage, something missing alot in forested areas. I went through the "Grand Canyon" part of the ICW, where they cut down about 20-30 ft of the ground to make the water at the correct level. Then with tall trees, the effect is canyon-like.

Glenn

Glenn, I would be dying in all that heat. Certainly understand anchoring in the breeze. I use a bag type system too, a Fleece liner, inside a sleeping bag. Works most of the time. Sometimes I add a fleece blanket on top, and wrap it around under as well. I can use the liner on it's own, and if it is warm enough, that works. Nice thing is that it is easily washable.

Stay safe and tell John "Howdy" from the upper left side.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Stay Cool

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Storm Dog is Home Reply with quote

Storm Dog posted in a PM that he arrived at his Biloxi goal safe and sound around 3PM yesterday, a bit tired but happy.

He is a very modest and mellow fellow (unlike me), so he will fit right in the C-Brats community (unlike me).

He is looking for a used trailer for his CD25, so PM him if you have any leads.

He wants one so he can trailer back up to the Hudson River and DO IT AGAIN, only FASTER!

Just Kidding!

We hope he posts his Best and Worst experiences, and what worked and did not for his impressive journey.

And a hat tip to his wife, who allowed him to do this without Her. It all worked out.

Best boating wishes for them both! Congratulations are in order for this skipper who did half the loop in a CD25 without it being a Looper Dream Boat for a 1% couple with a 45 ft boat who planned it for 3 years before actually starting it!

Hats off to ... Glenn and spouse!

John and Eileen
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off -- John, what makes you think you don't fit in here Shocked From this side it sounds/looks like you fit like a glove. (Always enjoy your posts.)

And glad to hear Glenn made it in OK. WOW, what a quick trip, and accomplished it in a new to him boat. Hope we get to hear some expansion on his trip.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick trip? He did almost half the "Great Loop" in about 6 weeks! ! ! I hope that when all settles down, he will put together the "story" and photos. I talked or texted with him almost every night--and there are a lot of fun details.

Hats off to Glenn.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems, like it was about 6 weeks and near 2500 miles, so close to 60 miles a day, average. Seemed quick to me. That many miles everyday could wear on you and then there are some layover days so miles to make up.

I had one day, from Sequim to Brownsbay, BC, just north of Campbell River, 17 hours and slightly over 225 statute miles. Had perfect weather and hit the tide gates in usable times, (Dodd and Seymour), but I would not want to run like that multiple days in a row.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, I was affirming that this was a very quick trip! Most people take a year, some as much as 3 years to do the "loop".

Try keeping up with Jim Gibson. As I recollect we did about 800 miles in 14 days of travel...on the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers. Glen was making this amount for 2400 miles. I thought Jim's "Cruise" was fast...
Storm Dog

City/Region: Biloxi
State or Province: MS
Vessel Name: Mae-C
Photos: Mae-C
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Independence Day everyone!

I completed my journey 4 days ago. Since that day I've been re-adapting to my life ashore in Biloxi. General maintenance, and various other sundry tasks as auto repair, grounds upkeep, electrical, plumbing, and the nightly task of checking my eyelids for holes.

My total mileage: 2487 miles
Duration of voyage: 40 days

I haven't tabulated the financial costs yet. All in all the trip was a positive experience. It showed me I mostly have the wherewithal to thrive under different environmental conditions previously not experienced. I also realized the C-Brats group is one of the most friendly and helpful organizations to help me accomplish my voyage. On my journey I've also had mostly helpful people in most locations to make the passage a bit easier.

I've gone from a rookie boater to to someone that knows how to get from point a to point b on the water, over hundreds of miles.

I still have a lot to learn about the various nav and weather apps to become proficient in the marine environment.

Some of my likes / dislikes:

Dislikes

Head shower drain, I haven't completely disassembled the pluming yet, but it doesn't drain

C-Dory handling in chop. Many sledgehammer blows to the hull and my spine in the learning curve to avoid this rough part of seamenship

Sticky throttle; won't allow me to make smooth speed changes, like not being able to smoothly go from 17 to 20 mph, but sticks to the point of going from 17 to 23 unintentionally, etc

Shoaling

Footing on the helm storage cover, if barefoot and wet, feet can slide and jam toes painfully into bulkhead

Height of helm and dinette positions, maybe bring along a one-step footstool to aid transition

Suzuki 150 outboard motor. smooth, reliable, powerful

Vulcan anchor- slipped only once in many nights of anchoring out

Windlass-essential to efficient and solo anchoring

Radar-operate in zero visibility in conjunction with the chart recorder, can help spot nav markers miles away, not to mention other craft

My green sunbrella window covers provide privacy and blocking of intense glare and sunlight

Vacuum oil extractor allows diy oil change on the high seas

Black Napkins-music and entertainment available with cell signals with smartphone wifi hotspot

Sirius XM

Other thoughts--

I felt the cockpit use limited due to no cover from the elements and flying insects

Should have a small microwave

Last but not least-Air Conditioning essential to comfort, cleanliness, sanity, health in the American Deep south.

All I have at this time. Thaks again everyone for your support, comments, and interest.

Storm Dog
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
C-Dory handling in chop. Many sledgehammer blows to the hull and my spine in the learning curve to avoid this rough part of seamenship

Trim Tabs all of the way down, and permatbim on the engine trimmed most of the way down--slow down, when doing into chop. Down wind, and seas, trim up and stay on the back of a wave. It is the price you pay for super efficient fuel economy and long range.
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn....
You'll be on a learning curve for some time, maybe forever like me.
Congrats on arriving safe with the boat intact. The adventure continues.....

James

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: