The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bottom paint removal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Bottom paint removal Reply with quote

Hello all,
Our bottom paint is not looking very good anymore, and we don't store the boat in the water anyways, so I want to remove it so I can do a good cleaning and waxing of the hull.
What is the best way to get bottom paint off? Looks like a lot of it will come off with pressure washing. Any reason not to?
Thanks!

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom paint removal Reply with quote

clayhubler wrote:
Hello all,
Our bottom paint is not looking very good anymore, and we don't store the boat in the water anyways, so I want to remove it so I can do a good cleaning and waxing of the hull.
What is the best way to get bottom paint off? Looks like a lot of it will come off with pressure washing. Any reason not to?
Thanks!

If it was applied correctly you would be time & money ahead to re bottom paint it. Mine was, gell coat sanded w/80g then 3 coats of epoxy primer(sprayed) & 4 coats of bottom paint (sprayed). The pressure washer will tell & won't hurt anything.
Good luck. Thumbs Up
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, it is difficult to restore gel coat after a boat is bottom painted. Even if not properly epoxy coated--there will be some scratches (or should be) in the gel coat. Pressure washing (very high pressure--3500 PSI--may remove much of it. But there will still be a lot of fine sanding--and if scratched, then sand with wet and dry from 320 on up to 2000. Then compound 2 x and finally wax.

As noted, easier and cheaper to paint. We use Vivid. Multi seasonal and withstands trailering well. Many good bright colors. Current boats are black and bright blue (OK blue is faded after 7 years--but still looks decent).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my CD22 Cruuser from a guy in Chesapeake Bay that had her in the water WAAAAAAAy too long. When I brought her home, I was facing several layers of badly applied bottom paint, and a whole bunch of barnacles attached to the bottom, the trim tabs, and the gimbal on the motor. I solved this whole dilemma by having the whole mess cleaned with a process called DUSTLESS BLASTING. The process looks like sand blasting, bit it's NOT. The material that comes out of the hose is fine microscopic bits of angular glass that completely removes everything without damaging the gelcoat. When the technician was done (three hours later), the bottom paint, primer, and all the other old odd layers of paint were gone, and the bottom and sides were as smooth as a silk and undamaged. Best $350 I ever spent.

I then proceeded to prime and paint my 22 with a high quality marine paint, and all is still well. I don't keep her on the water for more than a few days at a time, so I don't have to worry about any mare bottom paint. However, I'm sure that the dustless blasting process would work great for you too. PM me if you would like some detail photos of the process.

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many types of "media blasting". From baking soda, dry ice, glass beads, and sand blasting. Some technicians are excellent, some will damage boats. Be very cautious--especially with sand blasting.

The "dustless" media uses water, so that debris and media, is kept inside the area where the blasting occurs. Again, the skill of the technician is paramount.

$350 for a C Dory is a bargain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: