The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SoCal marina/slip location ideas?? (new owner)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aGrandView

City/Region: Pasadena
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Nyanza II
Photos: Nyanza II
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:24 am    Post subject: SoCal marina/slip location ideas?? (new owner) Reply with quote

I'm bringing my newly acquired C-Dory 25 home to SoCal in a few weeks and trying to figure out the best place to keep it in a marina slip.

I plan to take small trips in the bay and close-in coastal areas initially to get acclimated to the boat, and eventually start to take 1-3 day trips out to local islands like Catalina, Santa Cruz, etc.

I would prefer a marina where there are restaurants, shops, and bars somewhat close, possibly walkable, because I’d like to spend time hanging out at the boat dockside as a weekend escape from the city when the summer weather is hot.

I’m about an equal distance in driving time from Marina del Rey, Redondo Beach, San Pedro, and Long Beach area marinas.

Which would you prefer as a starter port location, which marina, and why?

*(I wouldn’t be living aboard but I’d stay overnight often enough that having a decent marina restroom/shower/lounge facility would be very helpful. I also have a boat trailer to store and a marina that can affordably accommodate trailer storage would also be nice)

Thanks!
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marina del Rey is the closest to Santa Cruz and Catalina with everything you're looking for. San Pedro also has trailer storage but it's a long haul to the northern islands from there.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
aGrandView

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacificcoast101 wrote:
Marina del Rey is the closest to Santa Cruz and Catalina with everything you're looking for. San Pedro also has trailer storage but it's a long haul to the northern islands from there.

Thanks. A friend mentioned that San Pedro/Long Beach might be good because they have a relatively large area of protected waters behind the jetty wall, interesting waterways to explore around the ports of LA and LB, are the closest to Catalina, and would be better access to take trips to Newport Beach. It seem like the only downside (vs Marina del Rey) is being further from The northern islands like Santa Cruz? I'll definitely be starting off with trips to Catalina and may not work my way up to Santa Cruz island trips for over a year or two. So perhaps access to the northern islands should be a lower priority than more interesting things to do locally?
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to a small band of SoCal 25 owners. We found that this is a perfect fit for cruising our waters.

I, at one time, lived in Sierra Madre, next to you. I found that Long Beach, down the 605 or San Pedro, down the 110, were the most accessible. Marina del Rey has a rough trip to Catalina due to the sea, wind and distance. All LA marinas have a long trip up to Santa Cruz Island, better done by trailer to Ventura, instead of going upwind against the sea.

I kept Journey On in San Pedro, in Cabrillo Marina though there are a variety of marinas from which to choose. I'd look for the cheapest as is my want. Cabrillo is the closest to Catalina and has reciprocals up and down the coast. Long Beach is OK if you get in a good marina. To me that means Alimitos Bay, but again that's me. We usually launch at Huntington Beach, since they allow trailer parking.

If you're going up to Santa Cruz Island, haul the boat out and trailer it up to Oxnard, Ventura or Santa Barbara. I once took a sail boat from San Pedro to Santa Barbara and it was a rough long ride. Never again. When you go over to the island, leave early in the morn and avoid the winds. It's a great trip; I hope you get there.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I boated in S. Calif for over 50 years....I had boats in marinas at Del Rey, King Harbor, San Pedro, Long Beach and (house) Huntington Harbor. What has been said is all true, although any time you go to Catalina (or any Channel Islands) leave early in the day. The wind starts by 11 and by 1 PM it is going to be choppy . One summer I commuted to Catalina in an 18' Deep V I would get to Huntington Harbor in the early AM ia about 45 minutes. Going back at 5PM took 2 hours, and I had to run up inside the break waters to LA entrance, then under the lee of Pt. Firman, and cross. Still only make 18 to 20 vs 40 knots..Don't even think about it in a flat bottom boat like the c Dory 25 in the late afternoon.

You want to Leave the boat in a slip? I had to wait years for my first Long Beach Marina Slip (Alamitos Bay). Not sure what the availability is now. Alamitos bay is my favorite. For trailer, I agree with Boris (as usual) that Huntington Harbor is great--good parking, secure (sheriff office right there) @ Sunset Aquatic.

My Son's C Dory 25 is at Dana Point--that is a much longer trip. But it has some of the best restraunts.

Consider the commute--from Pasadena (depending where) to Long Beach and San Pedro--and the traffic. I always worked and lived within 15 minutes of my boat slip in Alamitos Bay...So I could pop down for lunch or cocktails with Marie in the evening...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my boat at Cabrillo Way Dry Boat Storage in San Pedro and for a trailerable boat such as the C-Dory it is perfect for me. The boat isn't in the water 24/7 so you don't have to worry about the usual things. They allow 1 free launch and retrieval a day with 24 hrs notice, however because of Covid you have to give them 3 day notice because of precautions.

My video will give you an idea of how it works

https://youtu.be/i8nhXBd-7Es

Far C'r - 2001 Cdory 22
Bluechablis - 1992 NorSea 27
Quarter Note - 1972 Cris Craft Sloop
Palantir - 1971 31 Mariner Ketch (Far Seer in Elvish)
Aphrodite - 42 Ft Schooner Jay Benford Design
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat north of you, but closer to the Channel Islands, I keep my 22' stored on the trailer at Channel Islands Landing (Channel Islands Harbor). They have a hoist to put the boat in for you.
It is a 4 hour cruise from CIH to Two Harbors (Catalina).
I have been to all of the islands except for San Nicholas.
The downside for you would be traveling through L.A. to get to the boat.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I keep my boat at Cabrillo Way Dry Boat Storage in San Pedro

Floyd, did you have to modify the trailer for the aft strap, or do they go aft of the trailer bunks?
Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dr Bob

Yes I modified the bunks so that the aft strap can be threaded through. On my pacific trailer the front strap isn't a problem. I cut the slots and then through bolted 2x8? underneath and it works like a charm

aGrandView

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Boris, over the last few days I've checked out marina options and slip availability and have decided to go with Holiday Harbour Cabrillo Marina for now, and waitlist for an Alamitos Bay slip (currently full, 6-8 month estimated waitlist).

Bob (and Boris), thanks for the tips on doing island trips early to avoid the afternoon wind and chop. I've been boating with a friend's boat out of King Harbour for a couple years so I've already gotten used to those basic weather patterns. But much more to learn, for sure.

Floyd, thanks for the dry boat storage idea. If I didn't want to keep the boat in the water as a place to hang out by the ocean when it's hot inland, and overnight once in a while for fun (like a small camping trip on the ocean), I'd definitely consider the dry storage idea.

Roger, I don't think keeping my boat that far north is a good option unless I later decide that most of my trips will be to the northern islands. I think as a newbie, being close to a lot of things to do local in the LA/LB port areas, and close to Catalina and Newport Beach, will probably make more sense. Thanks for giving me another option to consider though.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabrillo Beach has changed a lot since 1946 when I was 10 years old, and the only "marina" was tied between two pilings off the 22nd street landing--which had just been shut down as an Army port of de-embarkation. The area is called "Hurricane Gulch" for a reason in the afternoons. San Pedro has also gone thru a number of re-iterations thru the years.

I believe it is a great choice for Catalina, the LA/Long Beach Harbor, and even Newport Beach. You will enjoy.

Down the line, it may be a shorter drive, and perhaps a bit more night life in Alamitos Bay. I don't know about the down town Marina (Rainbow pier area) currently, but at one time there were security issues--both land and sea). But the night life was great.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In San Pedro, there are several commercial marinas, one of which offers dry storage. The dry storage isn't cheap, but it does keep the boat out of the water. And 1 launch per day is nothing to sneeze at.

Another option exists, which rolls a social life and slips into one place. That's Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club, next to the commercial landing. We belong (remotely), it's a friendly club, bar and dinner on the weekends. It's next to 22 Street Landing, one of the best restaurants in San Pedro, though there are many in San Pedro. The costs are low(er) and they have reciprocals. They have some dry storage, but check if the hoist can handle a 25. They are not especially a trailer boat club, but they have both sail and power.

Yes,that area has changed, full of slips now. Utro's is moved, the Navy has left and San Pedro is expensive. Papakakis is closed, best and most fun Greek restaurant ever, closed this year.

Boris
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris,
Sorry to hear that John Papadakis Greek Tavern is closed. John was a linebacker for USC class of 1972. Boris is correct it was the best Greek Restaurant in S. Calif. We would often drive over from Long Beach for dinner there.

Cabrillo Beach YC is also an institution. It was founded in 1932 and I have a Trophy from the first Mid Winters that my dad won which was held at CBYC, I crewed on a 505 (small planing dinghy with trapeze) based out of there in the early 70's when I was not racing my own boat.

Boris' suggestion of CBYC would be a great way to join in organized activities. I have always thought of CBYC as a sailing club, but they do have a wonderful cruise schedule (?? with COVID 19??). Also they always need power boats for the regattas. It is an inexpensive to join club with a host of wonderful members. It would vastly improve ones boating experience in the area--even if you had the boat at Holiday Harbor. (Very close by),
aGrandView

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Boris,
Sorry to hear that John Papadakis Greek Tavern is closed. John was a linebacker for USC class of 1972. Boris is correct it was the best Greek Restaurant in S. Calif. We would often drive over from Long Beach for dinner there.

Bob and Boris,
Fun fact: I actually lived in the Hotel Cabrillo (large brick building south across the alley from Papadakis) for about 6 months shortly after I moved to SoCal about 12 years ago. Papadakis was great. Sad to hear it's gone.
aGrandView

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Almost all of you made some mention to be wary of the rough waters between various LA area marina locations and various Channel islands (of which I have some experience myself).

With that in mind, a somewhat local 255 Tomcat came up for sale and I decided to go for it. It just seemed too enticing to have a boat that will be less dependent on good weather to make runs to and from the islands like the Tomcat, and closer to pick up during the Covid19 second wave, so I don't have to take a bunch of flights across the country right now.

It won't really affect my Marina situation for now since I've already reserved my slip at Holiday Harbor Cabrillo, but I just wanted to let you know about the Tomcat. I guess a couple of you have Tomcats so I'm sure I'll be hitting you up for advice in the near future Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: