City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
I thought of reversing it and making the bitter end the chain end, but I don't know how to braid it properly.

I get it! I felt that way once too, but I finally tried it....it ain't too hard. As you know, reversing the rode essentially gives you a brand new rode.

Do you know how to splice in a loop into the end of a rope? If so, splicing a rode to a chain isn't much different.....indeed, except for threading the 3 strands through the top link of the chain, the process is identical to splicing in a loop EXCEPT you must taper the splice by cutting out 1/3 of the minor strands a couple of times so that the splice is smaller where it meets the standing part of the rode (as compared to the chain end). This taper facilitates the splice going round the gypsy and down into the chain locker.

If you don't know how to splice a loop into a rope end, do that first until you get the hang of it. It looks simple, and it is, but there are so many ways to make a small error that totally screws up the splice that you will find you have to undo the splice time and again until you finish learning the hard way. Eventually you will come up with a set of "rules" for yourself that keeps the splice flowing smoothly. BTW, larger, softer ropes are easier to practice on.

Lots of "how to" videos on youtube which I found very helpful.

P.S. Looks like I'll be buying some 1/4" chain pretty soon Laughing .

Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a Mantus SS swivel it has 3 huge advantages; it is short and compact so it has a good chance of fitting between the stowed anchor and the windlass; it's design attaches to the anchor with a shackle so there can never be any bending force on it and there are no welds that can encourage crevice corrosion which can be the hidden Achilles heel of stainless. This is the only swivel that meets my safety needs, frankly, I think the rest are just dangerous marketing bling. There is a photo of ours on the 2nd page of our Sierra album.

I always before resisted swivels as being a weak and unreliable link but Dana does all the anchoring and as we often anchor for days, with a lot of wind shifts she was fighting too much twisted chain. With the Mantus we are now both happy as there is less chain twist and the anchor easily flips up and around into it's stowage.

The 9/16" braided nylon is also a huge improvement over 3 strand, it never hockles, it flakes down in the locker without tangles and is just more civilized to handle.

I think our 24 lb (12 kg) Vulcan has enough surface and weight to be a good anchor in soft mud with the aid of 50' of 5/16" g4 chain. (1/4" g4 chain is nominally strong enough for a 25 but I don't trust it's strength if it snatches up hard when wrapped around a rock)
I know this may all seem a bit overboard but we have had winds anchored in the same area in the Sea of Cortez we still cruise that have in the past exceeded 80 mph. In lake Mead we once were surprised by an over 40 mph wind one long night anchored in a small cove almost surrounded by rocky bluffs, literally a dozen feet from the lee rocks, even we did not sleep well that night!

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to be a good swivel. Certainly one of the better one's I have seen.

Martin.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried swivels several times, and found they really don't add any advantages in many thousands of nights at anchor. Current boat has a swivel, and I am taking it out.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an ACCO galvanized swivel on Journey On. Load limit is 1500 lbs, I assume this is the working load. Never thought about it, but it has shackles at both ends. Also made in the USA. Goes well between the chain and anchor.

Worked on this boat and it's predecessors. Never failed. As a matter of fact, I can't think of how we'd have recovered the anchor if it had failed. Since the 25 sails at anchor I think a swivel is needed. The cleat will pull out before this swivel fails.

Boris
bridma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I have tried swivels several times, and found they really don't add any advantages in many thousands of nights at anchor. Current boat has a swivel, and I am taking it out.

I'm with Dr Bob.
Martin.
bridma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule of thumb regarding anchoring. Take a look at your ground tackle and identify it's weak spot. What ever that is, be it anchor, chain, shackle, or swivel, and remove it.

I know this info is 101 to you old salts, but it is hoped it will help new boaters or those with little anchoring experience.

Martin.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never liked swivels over the decades of anchoring either but I no longer like having Dana dealing with twisted rode. I did like the 5/8" American made galvanized swivel we eventually tried on our big sailboat but an over strength galvanized swivel is to long on our little 25 for the anchor to stow against the roller.
I actually shudder at the sight of how badly designed or rigged virtually all the swivels in our marina are on boats I walk by.
Our Mantus swivel is well designed and is not a weak point as it is rated for boats up to around 40' as is the chain and nylon rode.
I think the 1/4 chain that normally comes on these boats could be more of a problem as chain is not good at at resisting sudden snatch tension. On the ranch over the years I have broken many chains under sudden load up to 5/8" so I don't trust it like stretchy nylon or even polyester when my life is on the line.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The high test G4 1/4" chain SWL is 2600 lbs. Yield strength is 7800 lbs (Boater's Pocket Reference by Thomas McEwen--which every boater should have in his library).

I never let chain take shock load. Always use snubbers--if possible with enough elasticity/give to stretch several feet (for example I use 5/16" snubber with 1/2" nylon 8 plait rode.

I had also used the ACCO galvanized Swivel on larger boats, and it just didn't really swivel when under load in my experience.. The better ones have bearings, which allow swivel when under pressure.

Generally as you bring the chain up it will untwist, as well as let the natural twist in the lay of the 3 strand nylon re-apply.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, we originally had an early version of a swivel. Can't even remember the brand as I bought it from a marine used parts store. Although it worked, the design without the small link of chain inserted, was a weak spot. After reading of failures of similar swivels, I eliminated it.

This Mantus swivel however rotates and has a built in shackle, so the stress shearing the pin or pins (from side-loading the swivel) is eliminated. Exactly what the small links of chain inserted would do.

https://youtu.be/k_DcEtcqcRU

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, I've only done a few loops for gear. Something I'm sure I could learn. Just never have had the need. My brother has been a blow-boater for decades. I just give my stuff to him and he whips it out (pun intended). Laughing
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that new 1/4" G4 chain is adequate for a 25 but with wear and tear over time it doesn't have a lot of reserve and it is so light compared to 5/16 G4 wich has a working load of 3,900 lbs and ultimate load strength of 11,500 lbs, I think the extra weight on the shank really makes a difference with 50' of it and a 24 lb anchor and 7 to 1 depth we have never dragged.
We don't need a snuber like on our big boats with all chain, one of the advantages of the 9/16 nylon rode wich also has extra beef to resist chafe.
For Dana and I, our anchoring system is the most important system on our boats.
We never tie or run up on shore and some places like lake Mead and Baja can have marginal ground for anchoring and with the wind shifts can have a lee shore, we often like spots where few other people anchor and conditions are challenging.
I always liked the saying "if they don't laugh at the size of your anchor it is to small"!
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micahbigsur@msn.com wrote:

I always liked the saying "if they don't laugh at the size of your anchor it is to small"!

Then I can say ours is Hunkydory.

I too have switched to the Mantus swivel.

Jay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: