The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

wallis blower not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
easy does it

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: wallis blower not working Reply with quote

the stove works fine. The blower does not come on when I shut the lid. What are the steps to solve the problem.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: wallis blower not working Reply with quote

easy does it wrote:
the stove works fine. The blower does not come on when I shut the lid. What are the steps to solve the problem.

Call the boys at Scan marine! They are the best service dept. I have ever dealt with. Thumbs Up

It depends on the age of your stove, yours have the blower switch
on a lever at the left rear of the stove? got power? these were famous for the blower mtr. failing or crud on the switch.???
Thumbs Up
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the fan lid, buy an Eco Fan. It has several advantages: you can point it at the front of the cabin, it's quiet, it takes no power and best of all, it's cheaper than fixing the lid fan.

Leave the lid up and place the fan over the small burner, pointed to the front of the cabin. Enjoy.

Boris
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things to consider:

1. If you’re not cooking or don't have something on the stove, shut it down until you get the lid fixed; over heating can damage the unit. The guys at Scan Marine told me the Eco-Fan doesn’t dissipate enough heat and the heat shield will eventually get damaged. They said if you do use an Eco-Fan run the Wallas on low and put a pot of water on the stove as a heat sink.
Reason I know, when I sent my Wallas in for repair (faulty fuel pump) they noticed the damaged heat shield and asked if I was using an Eco-Fan. The guys replaced it with a used heat shield at a fraction of the cost of new, great outfit to work with.

2. There is a micro switch built into the lid that activates the fan and a wire running to the controller circuitry; try unplugging and re-seating a few times; this may fix the problem.

Good luck

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: wallis blower not working Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
. . .
Call the boys at Scan marine! They are the best service dept. I have ever dealt with. Thumbs Up
. . .

Agree 100%. Call them.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

breausaw

I'm always eager to learn, even at my age. So, tell me, when the lid is up, what's the heat shield? There's a glass surface, but that takes the flame and spreads it around. Is the heat shield in the stove lid? And you're right, the darn microswitch that powers the lid gives out.

The Eco fan is only put on when the lid is up, and if you leave the stove on hot the fan goes too fast and vibrates. I've found that a setting half way between low/high is good. If you place it over the low part of the stove and let it blow over the hot part, I would assume it would cool the glass surface. Been using that fan for 12 years, really think it's a nice heater. Actually use a butane stove to heat the coffee in the morn since it's faster.

Boris
KevinDU

City/Region: Terrace
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Sea Otter
Photos: Sea Otter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same happened to my stove last time out. I "fixed" it by giving the lid a good whack. It has worked okay ever since!
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your eco fan is rattling at any speed, the motor may be worn out (bearings worn or shaft has been bent). You can get a new motor on amazon for about $12. Very easy to change out. will go any speed quietly with new motor. That was our experience.
Moxieabs

City/Region: Cape Neddick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Widget
Photos: Widget
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a micro switch on the circuitboard that the lid triggers off when up up and on when down. It is located such that any spills off the back of the cook top drip on the switch and it gets stuck. Very difficult to clean & is soldered to the board so not easily replaced. It is easy to by-pass it with a manually operated switch which you can mount next to the control panel for the stove. Just switch it off when the lid is up and turn it on when the lido is down and the stove is on.
Tony Ferris

City/Region: Mead, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a ton of folks answered you and I don't know much about these stoves, but I've dealt with mine enough that I would agree with whomever made the comment, "Scan Marine has the best service department ever."

I have NEVER had them not help me. They've gotten my stove running when I was in the middle of nowhere and freezing my tush off. Got them on the phone and got things working.

I will admit, that eventually, I concluded my 15 year old Wallas was finally ready to be replaced. When I did that, they even cut me a couple or three hundred dollar discount for all the parts I'd bought over about a 3-4 year period.

If you haven't figured out the answer to your question, call them. They will help you out. They are honest and reliable.

easy does it

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: post topic Reply with quote

thank you for your sugesstions., there is a little black box the wires go into like a fuse box or a relay but I think I am going to just take the sugesstion of running a new switch seems very straghtforward. besides a motor running my stove make kind of a clicking noise, is this normal I don't really like it.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clicking sound is the solenoid type fuel pump. That is normal.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
easy does it

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: post topic Reply with quote

thanks guys, got er going and now the wife is back on board for our yellowstone trip (somehow she knows the temp on yellowstone lake at night??) and a big thanks to thataway for that info, the clicking reminded me my trailer refer trying to light and I thought maybe the stove was just recycling over and over but now that I know it is supposed to make that noise it does not bother me anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: