HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Greetings from New Member
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Outdoorsygal

City/Region: Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: BLT (Boatless Teresa)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Greetings from New Member Reply with quote

Have been noodling around C-Brats forums for a while now, so time to introduce myself. My name is Teresa and I am, sadly, boatless. Good news is I now have two nickels to rub together! So only 599,998 more in my piggy bank makes enough to buy my first preloved C-Dory 22 cruiser. I have one in college yet, ($$$) so not sure how long it will take.

While my nickels pile up, I will continue to read and learn. Thanks to all of you on these forums. And the albums . . so beautiful. So many lovely pictures it almost feels as if I were along for the ride on the C-Brat cruises.

Have been following along on the technical aspects as well, learning as much as I can about how all the systems work. When ready to buy, it will be so helpful to know what will need upgrading etc.

Michigan is home. 4th generation worm-dangler on the lakes of the northwest lower Peninsula. My folks keep their pontoon boat on Torch River. I grew up cruising and fishing this chain of lakes (Torch, Skegemog, Elk, etc) on my grandpa’s old wood cruiser. I loved the cozy security of that cabin. Maybe that’s why the C-Dory was love at first sight for me.

Of course I have a zillion questions, and hoping to find some friendly folks here willing to help. For instance, would you agree that the 22 will be best for a solo lady to manage? Are there any other solo lady C-Brats?

Thanks for reading, and best wishes for happy and safe summer cruising.

NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to a great place! As you have no doubt begun to discover, you can find just about anything you need to know about boating in general, and C-
Dories in particular, discussed (sometimes ad nauseum Laughing ) on this forum.

I did not buy my first boat, a C-Dory 16, until I was nearing 60. My ignorance was pretty complete. I learned enough form this place that in a couple of years I was doing things and going places I would not have imagined possible.

Which boat you should get depends on your budget and intended uses (fishing? day cruising? multi-day remote expeditions? trailering?). I started with a 16 and graduated to a 23. Everything from launching to docking tends to get more complicated as the boat gets bigger, but a 22 or 23 is certainly easily managed by a single person. Many, many people on this site single-hand their boats all the time. And yes, there are several "solo ladies" in that group.

You can probably find one or more C-Dory owners in your area who would be happy to let you see their boats and watch what it's like to launch and run one.

Dream on! And keep asking questions as they come up.

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubbing and collecting 599,998 dimes instead of nickels will allow you to get
more boat. If you can handle a 22, a 23 or a 25 won't be a problem and you'll
thank yourself later, frequently.

I've had kids in college too. Having yours pay their own wireless phone charges,
in a few years, could make the nickels to dimes thing happen for you.

I grew up on Burt Lake allowing me to get out into 'the big lake' via Cheboygan
locks. Once done, almost never returned.

Aye.
Grandpa used to say, "Clean unsalted water is addicting."

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently upgraded from a 22 to a 25, and didn’t think i ever would. I loved the 22 and it was the perfect size! I did a lot of solo handling plus times with my wife. We are both fairly big people and still felt there was room. Yes the 25 will give us a little more breathing space and the enclosed head. But it comes with a little more upfront and operating costs. I’ve already solo handled this boat as well and it’s just as easy. If I were single or solo all the time, I would have stayed with the 22! It really is the perfect size and easy to squeeze into spaces. Colby
Outdoorsygal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noro Lim,

Thank you for your kind words. Any you got me beat: I turned 60 this year and don’t have my first Dory yet.

As for my boating plans, I will fish, a lot. Already dreaming of rigging up the cockpit just so. For example, that big area at the transom, the splash well? What function does that serve? I imagine walling in the transom to level, and using an extended motor mount bracket. Has anyone out there done that? Pros n cons? Would add so much more room. And could then build in a nice live well above the fuel storage area. Haven’t figured out where to hide a big locker for fish and ice. Is there room in the hull below the cockpit floor? Even for a shallower fish locker? Nice power down riggers for salmon and lake trout will be spendy I know, on top of all the other electronics needed.

Sorry . . I digress. Anyhoo, I would love to cruise too. I will probably keep her at Torch River at first. But I want to trailer it all over. Lake Michigan certainly. Will definitely sleep over on her for weekends and weeks at a time. Would love to do the C-Brats cruises in the Pacific Northwest. I did my undergrad at the University of Oregon, and miss it out there so much. But would be fearful boating there alone. Will need my trusty C-Brats mates to show me the ropes.

Does anyone think I should be looking at Anglers? I just don’t wanna compromise on the cabin space!
Outdoorsygal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy,

You are so right re the dimes. I would love the extra room, for cruising and fishing. But also I want to be boating as soon as possible. Not sure I wanna wait long enough to pay double for a bigger boat. I understand my nickels will only get me a smaller and older boat. I am hopeful my new friends here will help me find the right one when the time comes. Maybe after a few years with a 22 I could trade up.

I hear you about the big Lake. Would love to be out there after salmon.

Your ‘26 Venture must be gorgeous. I durst not even look . . . or 22s will be ruined for me.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Teresa and welcome aboard! Depending on your use, each of the C-Dory sizes fits a particular mission. Can you single-hand a 22? Since you have boat experience and a determined nature, I would say: absolutely.

When I got called away on a family emergency, my wife pulled our 25 out single-handed, and no issue. Generally, though, we do almost everything together. I think a 22 for an individual would be great! While it will handle a cruising couple comfortably, it is compact enough that one person can launch, retrieve, and cruise in comfort - the cabin of the 22 will keep you comfortable on many adventures.

While you're waiting for those nickels to grow into dollars, there is a lot of information to be mined from this site. The folks who participate here are friendly and welcoming.

We took our C-Dory coast to coast to coast. From the Gulf Coast to the Pacific Northwest; the Florida Keys to San Francisco Bay; inland lakes and the Erie Canal... it kept us safe and comfortable all the while. While perusing this site, check the Grand Adventures section and look for "The Cruising Adventures of Wild Blue and Crew" to see some of the places that great boat took us.

You have a worthy goal - it will be fun to follow along on your journey to ownership. Keep us posted,

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Outdoorsygal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colbysmith,

I think I saw that you recently found a new home for the Midnight Flyer. Someone sure got a lovely boat. I wish I had been ready.

I hope the 22’ will be just right for me. Can’t decide if it makes more sense to “cabinize” an Angler, or to modify a 22’ cruiser to be a little more fishy.
Outdoorsygal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there JamesTXSD,

Thanks for the story about your bride pulling that 25’ out by herself. It helps give me confidence.

And I will look over your albums . . And dream!

PS how did your Dory do in the Keys? Now that’s a dream trip! Would love to fish there. How did you manage the heat?

Thanx for your kind words.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Teresa. Welcome to C-Brats. You mention walling in the transom. If you buy the 23 Venture or Cape Cruiser, you won't have to do that. It comes with a full height transom from the factory. We fish out of our Venture and are very pleased with the size and fuel economy of the 23. The 22 is also a great boat to fish out of, cruise in and gets great fuel economy.
Outdoorsygal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daybreak,

Thanks for the tip. I like the looks of the transom on the Venture. But that splash well area seems like wasted space. Surely it serves some purpose. Btw, do you know when they started making the Venture? don’t think I have seen one come up for sale used. Or maybe my eyes glazed over and my memory circuits fried when I read the price lol.

So how do you and your wife store bait and your catch? Coolers? I suppose the cockpit stays cleaner with coolers.

Ever thought about live well or fish locker mods? Do you know of any C-brats with such mods?

Thanks again and be well, and safe boating.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outdoorsygal wrote:
Hey there JamesTXSD,

Thanks for the story about your bride pulling that 25’ out by herself. It helps give me confidence.

And I will look over your albums . . And dream!

PS how did your Dory do in the Keys? Now that’s a dream trip! Would love to fish there. How did you manage the heat?

Thanx for your kind words.

We were in the Keys during the winter - we had our heavy weather coats on a few times. Good thing about the trailerable C-Dory: you can tow it to best cruising areas at the best weather times. As far as the heat: we live in the southern Tip of Texas - about the same latitude as Naples, FL. We did carry a small window air conditioner that would easily run on a Honda 2000i generator on our summer trips - it fit in the forward center window. Of course, you can head to the Pacific Northwest in the summer, where the water temp is sure to keep you cool.

Good luck with your search!
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teresa,

The Splash well is your first defence. When a small wave hits the stern, the motors break up most of the force. The water that does hit the higher well collects and falls back over the lower transom.

The 23 Cape Cruiser came out in about 2006 and only sold for a couple of years. C-Dory was given the hull molds in a lawsuit settlement and within a short time C-Dory used those molds to make the 23 Venture as it is today.

We use frozen bait and have no need for a livewell. When we catch a fish it goes straight into a very large cooler in the cockpit. Never thought of doing any mods to our boat as it works perfect for us in what we do. The C-Brats community has much talent in doing all kinds of modification and with amazing knowledge of materials and construction techniques. Take a look at the 'Forums' in the heading above and in the Library Section you will see many modifications to these boats and some are fishing related.
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For instance, would you agree that the 22 will be best for a solo lady to manage? Are there any other solo lady C-Brats?

Hi Teresa and welcome!
To answer the question above, search for C-Gypsy - a 22 Cruiser owned and operated solo by a lady named Sandra. I believe she has since sold the boat, but we buddy-boated with her up to Princess Louisa Inlet and she managed the boat just fine.

The other question about the transom space, I think I have seen a 22 with a mod for a fish locker, but my 23 has an aluminum fish locker in the splashwell. Here's a pic:

[/quote]

Chris

Outdoorsygal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCRider,

Thanks for the tip re C-Gypsy. Will looker her up.

And your boat is the bomb! Love that aft helm and splash well fish locker. And I see there remains plenty room to tilt the motors forward. Did you add the aft helm? Is that fish locker insulated? Or maybe doesn’t need to be?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: