The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hot water recirculating pump to conserve water
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I need to add one more comment to respond to some of the observations by others above.

As I looked into pumps etc, what I found was that all (nearly all?) fresh water systems on small boats such as a C-Dory use diaphragm pumps (not centrifugal pumps). Diaphragm pumps use separate chambers and valves to create the pressure differential between the input and output side. As such, and unlike centrifugal pumps, water doesn't pass thru either pump unless it's running. There is no need for any check valves in this installation.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct--no heater under the galley counter--mostly just storage.

The smaller Bosch water heater is well enough insulated, that it will still be hot enough (for us) the next day. We have the heater near the max, and use the mixing valve in the shower to keep water temp proper. We find we had as "much usable" hot water as we did with the lower temp setting on the 6 gallon tank.

Yes, great idea to keep a usable spare pump. One of the spares I learned to always have aboard with a boat which had a pressure water system was a full spare pump, quick release fittings and quick disconnect/connect on the electrical.

A wife in the shower and no water pressure, can be a bad situation....

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The smaller Bosch water heater is well enough insulated, that it will still be hot enough (for us) the next day.

DUH! (sound of palm hitting forehead)

Bob, your sentence just had me realize that I had a total misconception of the Bosch heater you and others have installed. Somehow I got the impression that the Bosch was one of those "instant hot" heaters with no tank. I see now it has a 2.5 gallon tank; so really it is just a smaller version of the factory installed 6 gallon unit (and more efficient too I'd bet).

So for anyone reading this thread forget my comment regarding "energy time shifting". Even if it is a real benefit, of which I am far from certain, the smaller 2.5 gallon tanked Bosch unit clearly would provide that same benefit.

Now, I have to re-think this entire project I just completed. Rolling Eyes. 2.5 gallons would likely do me just fine, and I see the Bosch units are pretty cheap ($150 on Amazon....not too much more than I paid for the new pump). True, I have little room under the counter for it, but I probably could have made it work somehow. Then I could have removed the Seaward heater and used that space for storage or for a freezer (which I would love to have). Oh well, it works, and I do get the advantage of having the dual uses for the new pump of recir hot water and a spare main pump.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to have little laugh. With my first 25, I pulled out the 6 gallon tank, replumbed the system and put in one of the "instant" water heaters...Turns out it didn't work, because it was not designed for constant pressure. So I had my "Duh" moment along the line too.
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I checked under the counter of my galley, and even though I said above "...I probably could have made it work somehow", I don't see a way to install a cube of 14"x14"x11" (the Bosch 2.5 gallon heater) without major surgery. The only way would be to remove the sliding racks that the previous owner installed (David McKibben -- clever man that he is). The racks are extremely useful, so I would hate to give them up.

All this just means, that in spite of my confusion, I am still glad I installed the hot water recir system. It was relatively cheap, takes little room (hangs from under the counter which was dead space anyway), and gives me a backup freshwater pump should the main pump fail.

It does seem to work well in spite of its rube nature Wink Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: