The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

50 HP on a 22 cruiser?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiestaec1

City/Region: tampa
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: 50 HP on a 22 cruiser? Reply with quote

Just came across this and first time I have seen this low of a powerplant on a 22 but then again I am pretty new to the group. I actually prefer small HP as I have more interest in puttering around but appreciate any thoughts on this. Really looking for a 19 but am now considering 22 especially in Florida.
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would want two of them.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a dealer back in the day who sold some of these with a 50hp single. Realistically, the boat would have to be loaded extremely light and conditions just perfect to get it up on plane with a single 50, and that motor would be working hard.

If you want to run around at displacement speed, then the 50 is enough. That would be missing the point of a boat like this from my perspective: the ability to cruise fast or slow and be reasonably efficient doing so. If you want to get somewhere expeditiously, or decide to make a run for shore with incoming weather, that isn't going to happen with a 50.

That motor would be just enough to put the boat at its least efficient running speed - just before getting on plane.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I surveyed one here in Pensacola for a prospective buyer out of state. He did end up buying the boat and putting a 115 on it. (as I recollect). With the 50 about 15 mph was the WOT speed, and it was running high RPM at 12 MPH.

I would agree, that if you only want displacement speeds, then the 50 is fine. Resale is going to take a hit, but you should be able to buy one considerably less than with a 90.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Chester

City/Region: home
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That boat is a redheaded step child and a bastard.
15 hp would give you just as much usable speed. At anything over hull speed the 50 will be screaming it's guts out and you will soon tire of the futility and racket.
The C-Dory 22 was designed for at least 75 hp and it needs all of that.
easy does it

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

I would like to get my 2 cents in here since I have one and am not trying to sell it. ha. keep in mind I have not had my boat out yet but have done as much research as possible. I will respond again in 1 month after our lake powell adventure. Granted for most owners this is ridiculous but for others it is perfect. We bought the boat from the original owner who choose the 50 hp Honda and the 8 hp Honda kicker as original equipment. After 600 hrs He stated he was never sorry with his choice and never thought about re-powering. He stated it depends on what you want to do with the boat and how fast you want to go. He said he had thought about what kind of boating he wanted to do and powered the vessel accordingly. He stated I wanted to do lakes, canals and rivers and have found the Honda 50 to be a very workable and economical alternative. With 3 persons the boat it will plane at 10 knots, cruise at 12 (4k rpm) and top around 16. He lived in Lake Havasu Az and it was perfect for the rivers and lakes there. We bought it to cruise Lake Powell with 2 eddyline kayaks and 2 stand up paddleboards on top as standard equipment. It will have an incredibly long cruising range. According to Honda Marine performance criteria at 5000 rpm speed would be 16.1 mph with 5.6 mpg. The boat was so close to home, the original owner was an engineer and a meticulous maintenance freak. Everything looked like new including the engines (Honda 50 and Honda kicker) so after several years of looking and several long distance disappointments we bought it on the spot with out even a sea trial. We will get back to you in a month but honestly at this point I am more worried about the porta poti than the engine.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Powell at displacement speeds it will be fine--but remember you loose 3% of HP per 1000'...Havasu is 700 foot alt..Powell (full pool) is 3700 hp. so you are gong to have close to a 40 hp motor at Powell.

We had to drop to an 11" pitch prop (from 15"" at sea level, with the 130 hp on the 25. The 22's I ran with a 13" prop, rather an 15" prop at Powell. So keep in mind that you are really going to be lugging that motor getting up to 15 mph. You may be able to do it, but I'll bet the prior owner didn't run it much at full RPM. 10 mph planing with 3...??? Look at the fuel burn curves and tail me if the boat is really planing at 10 mph?

We each get out boats for different reasons...and a 50 hp 22 may satisfy many people. Slow is good...but going over 6 mph (Displacement speed) you start to loose that advantage.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillE wrote:
I would want two of them.

I would want the same -- 2 of the 50's would be purrrrrrrrfect. Cool

Twins, and you can run with one shut down until you need it, to be where you need to be when you need to be there.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: boats 50 hp Reply with quote

We bought our 22 cruiser with a Honda 50 It would do 15-16 mph with the engine screaming with 3 big guys on board for sea trial . I sold the 50 hp and put a Suzuki 90 and never looked back .We used the boat for tubing ,fishing and cruising and basically sold for what we had in it 3 years later .
actually bought the cc-23 venture when we still had the cd 22 cruiser and sold it within 2 months for our price .BTW we still have the cc23 with a repower Mercury 115 CT thats 4 years old now

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original 22s came out of the Kent factory with 70 hp engines. Almost everyone who had one of those soon re-powered. Bathurst hit the nail on the head. A 50, or a 70 for that matter, can only give you about half of what this hull was designed to do.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, yes & why, when I recently repowered from twin 40’s, I chose twin 60’s & now couldn’t be more pleased with their performance on our CD22.
easy does it

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

Default Re: Opinions On C-Dory Boats
entirely lifted from a non-advertising web site. esearch qmarine

The C-Dory 22, 19 and 16 share the traditional dory hull that makes these boats so seaworthy and economical to run. What makes these hulls so economical and so easy to plane with relatively low horsepower is also what speed limits them in rough water. In ugly conditions a C-Dory is going to take you safely where you want to go but at its own pace unless you're prepared to suffer.

So you want a nautical version of the Volkswagen camper van? That's what you're going to get with the C-Dory 22 Cruiser. It's the most boat you can get in 22 feet and power with the lowest horsepower in a planning hull. It has basic, functional amenities that are quite comfortable and adequate if you're not looking for velour, teak and mirrors! And it isn't a Porsche! The CD22 will operate safely in conditions most of us would prefer to stay out of but if you want to remain comfortable you'll slow down and let the hull "do its thing". The C-Dory will motor along happily in the low to mid teens getting great fuel economy while keeping its occupants dry, comfortable and warm (especially with the Wallas stove/heater). With a very shallow draft and trim/tilt on the outboard you can sneak into small coves, estuaries and backwater areas where the typical 22-footer would never venture. Its light weight and low profile also make the CD22 a great boat for trailer use and for exploration of all the great places to boat that are usually denied to "cruisers".

The CD19 is built on the same hull as the CD22 but shortened in the mid section by 3'. In fact, from the helm station forward the CD19 and CD22 are identical. In order to reduce weight and cost the CD19 had been built with an open back cabin (usually closed in with a drop curtain or camper canvas). The cockpit can be completely hosed out for cleaning. The CD19 carries the same 40-gallons of fuel (in 2 20-gal tanks) standard as the CD22 and will run along quite nicely on a 70 to 75 horsepower 4-stroke.

The C-Dory 16 is the baby of the line. It shares the same dory hull as it's big sisters and is quite seaworthy but it is a small light boat so some prudence is called for although it's a "large" 16. The hardtop, quality construction and high class fittings make this boat quite unique. The 16 Cruiser is about the smallest boat you can get into with a full v-berth and will camp cruise two quite comfortably. They can be outfitted to the "9's" and are beloved by their owners. The Angler version frees up some cockpit space and gives up the v-berth (but still has storage forward) for the fisherperson and is great for crabbing and shrimping too. And with its hardtop it makes a pretty good Northwest runabout. The Cruiser works well with 40 to 50 hp, especially the 4-stroke engines. I've heard of the Angler's with as little as 30 hp doing pretty well.
Team Backcountry Hunters and Anglers
Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an accurate assessment.
BigO

City/Region: Savannah
State or Province: GA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That particular 22’ Cruiser you are looking at is underpowered with the single 50HP. But it will still get you out cruising and fishing, just at a much slower speed. The other drawback I see with that particular boat is that it is a single axle trailer, which for the weight of that boat, I would only use for towing locally, and not for long road trips.

However, both of these “drawbacks” could be used as negotiating topics with the seller, depending on how much interest they are getting with this boat. And possibly for a heck of a deal, you are out on the water very soon with a “turn key” package, granted at a slower speed speed than most of the other boaters.

Outdoorsygal

City/Region: Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: BLT (Boatless Teresa)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chester,

Do you know that boat specifically? I think we are talking about the craigslist boat in Florida, the 1999 22’? Would like to know the history of that boat.

I thought she was a bargain at first. But with what amounts to no engine (old and unknown hours so may as well be nuttin) and what appears to almost no trailer, no camper canvas, and virtually no electronics, it begs the question. What is a sound hull worth?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: