View previous topic :: View next topic  
vpik01

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: New C-Dory family, headed to VA Reply with quote

Hello C-Brats!

First time posting, yesterday I bought a 2005 C-Dory 22 Cruiser from a gentleman in the Raleigh, NC area via Gene at Metro East Marine in Bayboro, NC. This boat appears to be very well documented by her original owner on this site - Valkyrie.

Our home cruising range will be the Potomac River and Chesapeake bay from Alexandria, VA but given the long trip we got in a visit to my Mom and got out on a lake with Valkyrie today. First boat ramp experience with a larger boat went ok and the boat was so fun on the water.

I have to toss out a hearty thank you to C-Brat member 'Captains Cat' - I reached out to Charlie after figuring out that he lived nearby and he very graciously gave me a intro ride onboard his CD 22 on a blustery day on the Potomac last week. That experience helped push me over the edge on the purchase and clued me in to the higher headroom option that I got in Valkyrie.

Quick background on me, former Navy surface warfare officer, longtime sailing background, owned a 1978 Seafarer 26 based out of DC and Mattawoman Creek (Potomac River) for about 9 years. My wife and I have a nearly 4 year old daughter who loves the water and our pup Knish was nicknamed 'dogboat' as he came along at about the same time as the Seafarer.

I'm looking forward to a summer of exploring the area in a power boat, getting proficient with a trailer and plotting some further expeditions that I never would have considered without a boat like the C-Dory.

Tony

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,
Congratulations on the purchase of your C-Dory! You and your family will have many wonderful adventures ahead.
If you cruise a little further south on the bay, feel free to use my dock as you explore the Hampton Roads region.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
vpik01

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Steve! That sounds fantastic I will definitly drop you a line when we get down towards Hampton Roads. I love your albums, in fact the plentiful photo's of C-Dory's is what initially brought me to C-Brats. Is there a tutorial on starting my own albums by any chance? I usually can figure it out but I must be missing something. Thanks!
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony! Congratulations, and welcome to our little Hole in the Web! We are glad to have your family as a part of ours.

I will fix you up with a photo album this morning and send you a PM with the specifics.

It is good you got to meet Charlie - he is a pretty good old boy and quite knowledgeable about the waters back there. We thank him for bringing you in.

Snider

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Kestrel Dawn
Photos: Kestrel Dawn
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

Congrats! We're two years and a few months into our C-Dory and it has been wonderful. We're hoping to take a trip up to VA soon.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. Your area of the Chesapeake is full of wonderful cruising grounds--and can be 4 seasons with the C Dory 22. Yep, Captain Charlie is one fine gentleman.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, welcome aboard! I've been boating across the pond from Valkrie for years. Out of Port Dover on the Canadian side of Lake Erie. I've talked to Nick a few times here on Cbrats and we had hoped to meet up on the lake some day.

Enjoy the new ride!

Regards,

Rob

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, Welcome, from the Left side, and you are seeing how this place works. It's a great place, super people and tons of info, everything you could want to know about C-Dorys. Enjoy, and stay safe.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

vpik01

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - I feel very welcome thanks to all!!

Yesterday's 400 mile return towing trip passed without incident and the icing on the cake was a first try success at backing into my driveway. We lucked out with no cars parked close by on my driver side but it was a huge wave of relief to get it in. I'm sure they won't all be that easy but I'm hoping I do it enough that it becomes second nature. I've never had a boat accessible in my driveway before and am super excited about being able to maintain, clean and prep the boat without leaving the house. No excuses now! Smile

The tow vehicle needs to get some maintenance to check out an engine light and get the rear brakes looked at but I'm hoping to get out on the Potomac w/in the next couple of days.

Thank you again for the warm welcome, I look forward to being an active participant in the C-Brat conversation!
hardee

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I've never had a boat accessible in my driveway before and am super excited about being able to maintain, clean and prep the boat without leaving the house." Yikes, Did you really park it indoors? Man you gotta have a big house and an nice wife Laughing Laughing

Glad you made it home and into the driveway. Backing around a corner it is always easier to back around to the drivers side. Much better view that way. (I have to back into my storage garage the other way and single handing. I put one of the garbage cans that has a hinged lid up almost against the door frame. If I hear that lid slap down, I know I need to pull out and adjust the corner cut.)

Enjoy the new boat, and being able to work in it without leaving the house. Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops. Duplicate post. Sorry Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Tony. I'm a new C-Brat myself on the Chesapeake up in Annapolis. Loving my new little boat. Already had some great times on her this season.
vpik01

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"without leaving the house" should be 'without leaving the property' My house/garage is not even close to big enough to have it inside!! Smile The driveway is barely large enough. Still it's great. I was just shopping coolers for the cockpit and popped out to double check dimensions and stare at it... pretty awesome.

Curious Traveler - The boat looks great, congrats! I'm definitely planning to include Annapolis in our cruising plans. I have done alot of sailing out of Annapolis and can't wait to troll through the harbor and maybe take in a Friday night race.
hardee

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, Hey, no sweat,,, Just pullin your (anchor) chain.

All the best. Next, you get to sleep in it in the driveway a couple of nights to try it on for size Shocked (FYI You would not be the first to do that.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

gstraub

City/Region: Callao
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: EnDoryFun
Photos: EnDoryFun
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Tony! We're just down the river from you on the Yeocomico off the Potomac. My office is in DC so get up that way often before all the lockdown stuff. You'll enjoy the boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: