The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

using Honda 8d manual to charge battery in emergency?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
easy does it

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: using Honda 8d manual to charge battery in emergency? Reply with quote

Newby ( 1st trip out) to lake powell for a week or 2. Ques 1 If i should totally drain the one battery I have could I pull start the kicker and then it would charge up the battery to start the main engine? Ques 2 if the answer is no could I put a second battery in the opposite rear compartment with a jumper cable..does that make sense, I really don't want the extra weight. Thank you
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how your batteries are wired, but on my boat I have two batteries (deep cycle) that can be used to either start the engine or as house power. I have an isolater switch between the two and I try to make sure that I have both batteries full. I can charge mine either by motoring or with my solar panels. During the day when I cruise, I will charge one battery full and then switch to charge the other. I always ensure that one battery is always 100% charged for one reason only, that being to start the engine. The second battery is the house battery. If I run out of house power, I will not switch to the start battery, I just live without lights and a stereo.

In 2018 my main engine, a Honda 90 HP developed a problem on Lake Powell. I had to power the 50 miles back to Bullfrog on the Honda 9.9 HP kicker. This took me about 11 hours. By the time I reached Bullfrog, both batteries were low as the electronics used up most of the power and the charge you get from the 9.9 is almost non existent.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: using Honda 8d manual to charge battery in emergency? Reply with quote

easy does it wrote:
Newby ( 1st trip out) to lake powell for a week or 2. Ques 1 If i should totally drain the one battery I have could I pull start the kicker and then it would charge up the battery to start the main engine? Ques 2 if the answer is no could I put a second battery in the opposite rear compartment with a jumper cable..does that make sense, I really don't want the extra weight. Thank you

Lots of variables there so the real answer is in your boat and how things are set up. Will the kicker charge anything? Is it wired to the battery? What kind of battery did you run clear to dead? That does not bode well for the life of that battery. Do you have anyway to monitor the battery charge while it is in use. Sorry. More questions than answers.

I carry a small jump start kit that would start my OB. Much easier (lighter) than a second battery. BUT, I do have 2 batteries, and monitoring device and use that diligently. That is worth the $ and the effort.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, assuming the 8 is ES and wired into your battery/switching system. This exact setup is my backup of final resort, though I've not had to use it. I don't ever want to try to manually start the BF 135 main.

-my 8 is cold-blooded and can take a bit of cranking to start. Starts right up if it's been recently run in the last day or so. I suggest you start yours 2-3 times/week even if for just a few minutes.

-if you need to use the 8 to start the main, rev it up a bit to produce more juice.

Enjoy your trip!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your Honda 8 hp is manual start it will put out only 6 amps from the charging circuit. If you have the electric start option iit is 12 amps output. If your group 24 engine start battery was discharged to. a point to where you could don't start it, with the manual, it would take at least 6 hours, and with the electric start about 4 hours.

A li ion battery jump pack is a very good investment, and will start an outboard. Mine will start an 8.3 L diesel...

But you are really best advised to have a second 12 battery. The group 24 will weight 45 to 50 lbs. If you run anything other than basic LED lights (and you may run your anchor light at night, if anchored--actually a good idea to use even with bow to beach, since you should have both a bow and stern anchors out...

I would not consider going on a trip on Lake Powell without a second battery. The reason is that if your single battery goes bad--and even new ones can, you are really out of luck You have to have a battery to run your engine, and electronics.

Yes, jumper cables will probably start the engine. why not wire that second battery in and have the switch and a voltage sensitive relay? Then no worry.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
easy does it

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

Thank you C Brats, it is a no brainer, thank you for your experience and wisdom. Can you imagine 11 hrs and then add some strong wind and waves. The wife would never go out again. I have the time might as well do it right. I am so glad I asked!
easy does it

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

I have a Guest 2611a trolling charger, is there any reason I could not connect a second battery in parallel with the connections provided?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Guest 2611a is Dual battery charger for 12- and 24-volt batteries
3-stage electronic switching circuit; 5 amps per output. You can hook up each of the batteries to one of the outputs. Common ground. No reason to parallel the batteries. This way you can get the full 10 amps out of the charger, rather than just 5, if you paralleled it.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that a lead/acid battery will not charge to its full capacity if charged on the engine's alternator alone (even if the voltage reads 12.8 volts). The battery needs to be on a modern multi-stage charger at least sometimes. I am always amazed how much "extra" amp-hours I have after the battery is charged properly (modern chargers use topping charge of 14+ volts).
easy does it

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:11 am    Post subject: post topic Reply with quote

O.K. if I add a second battery to the guest 2611a charger does that mean I have it in the boat electrical system or just on the charging side (system)? I am planning on putting the second battery in the live bait tank (since I am not using it) and run wires from a heavy duty jumper cable I already have through the drain hole across the top of the gas tanks and hook it into the terminals on my present single battery with or without a switch? does that work?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: