The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Debating between a 16' and 19'
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikela

City/Region: Kittery
State or Province: ME
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Debating between a 16' and 19' Reply with quote

Hello. While I've been studying C-Dorys for years, ever since reading RiverHorse almost 20 years ago, I'm new on here. I'm interested in purchasing a 16' Angler or a 19' and would love to hear from anyone who's got some experience in both. Other then the obvious stuff, what's better then one over the other? Is there a great difference in hull shape and how they ride? Fuel consumption?

Also cant help by notice that the 19' seems to be the hardest to find. Any suggestions on good places to look outside of Craigslist, Yachtworld, Boat Trader and here?

Any info is hugely appreciated.

Mike
Kittery Maine

A Fishin C

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

save yourself the extra time and expense, go straight to a 22.

seriously other wise a 19
Mikela

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at several 22's. Too big for me. I want something easier to tow and with simpler systems and accommodations, smaller outboard, etc. Not looking for a sink, stove, table to eat at, etc.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 19 is just a shortened 22--3' shorter. Same beam, same freeboard same "V" forward. Yes the 19 is a little lighter, but uses the same engines. The 16 is a much smaller boat, with half the HP of the 19.

The 19 is going to ride better and handle far rougher water.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 140 lb difference (per website) between a 19 and a 22 Angler plus the 22 has 3 more feet of cockpit space (a huge difference) and exact same systems on the two except the 19 has no bulkhead at the rear of the cabin and the 22 does with a door. The two are exactly the same boat except for the length and bulkhead. The 19 just cut out the forward 3 feet of the open cockpit. Between the bulkhead and 3 feet of cockpit I would guess more than a 140 lb difference but not more than 300 lbs. I know the 22 Cruiser which is listed as 515 lbs heavier than the 22 Angler has a tow weight of 3400 to 4000 or more lbs including trailer and how much gear and fuel you haul. So you only saving 140 to 300 tow lbs which is less than 10% and maybe even a little than 5%. To me the larger cockpit is worth it. On my 22 cruiser (same size cockpit as the 19) 3 fisherman are bouncing off each other; with an extra 3 ft a fourth person could fit comfortable. I'm not a big fisherman so listen to others for better advise on fishing room.

Jay
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: 19 or 22 Reply with quote

Jay,

When out looking at a used boat many years ago I asked my very experienced boating friend to come along.
After thoroughly looking for several days he explained............pick out the boat that you want but purchase the next size bigger. Worked for me.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. you will get 2 foot-itus
2. a 22 may look big on a trailer but not so when she is in the salt chuck

granted if your vehicle can only tow a 19, then go for it.
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save yourself the misery and go for 50 foot Nordhavn.

Seriously, the 19 has served me for 14 years and its been great. Never a regret.

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I will admit to 2 bias(es) Laughing
#1. Twin engines -- for tons of reasons.
#2 The 22 Cruiser over the 19. Admitted, they are close, so ....

The 19 does not have a solid aft cabin bulkhead so no locking cabin.
The 19 will be lighter to tow and in the water, so a bit more tender riding.
The 19 will go anywhere and handle anything you can, but so will the 22 with a bit more comfort, very little difference in fuel, and more security when at the dock or on the trailer.

I single hand 95% of the time on my 22 Cruiser and it is easy, plenty easy. I think Dwight single hands and fishes mostly on his 19, so for him the access to the cockpit from the helm is an advantage on the 19. So, it might depend on what you want to use the boat for primarily. Fishing, cruising, single handing or family of 3 or 4, or with that many and a pet or two. If you have a tow vehicle that will take the 19, it will probably take the 22 as well.

Best in your search. Find and try them both and figure out your use priorities.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: 16 vs 19 Reply with quote

A friend with a 16' has cruised much of the Maine coast, Erie and Rideau canals with us. It handles terrific and has been seaworthy in seas. It seems very safe, versatile and capable. If you're looking to easily get on the water with some protection from the sun or rain, it is a great choice.

I agree with the folks who say that the 19' is a short 22', with all the issues/advantages of a 22', but none of the advantages of a 16'.
Mikela

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I love how active you all are. It's very helpful. Some more info on me so people understand where I'm coming from.

I've been on boats my entire life. Had my 100 ton masters license, ran schooners and did delivery's between the Northeast and Panama. Was involved in the building of a 90' replica schooner. Lived aboard a 45' wooden trawler for 8 years here in Maine.

I was a sailor for most of my life but for my current needs, a smallish fuel efficient (but still able to plane) powerboat is filling my needs. I currently have an 18' Simmons Sea Skiff, which is great for most everything. I spend most of my time in the Piscataqua River between Maine and, with an occasional trip to the Isles of Shoals or up the coast to Castine or Penobscot bays, generally by road.

I'm really looking for the smallest boat possible that will still give me shelter from the sun and wind and has a small place to lay down for an overnight or two. I currently camp cruise in my open skiff with a harbor awning rigged up, so I dont need a lot of creature comforts. Just 5'6" to lay down in from time to time. I realize the 16' Angler has no sleeping quarters, but I know I can rig up a platform that will work. I also love poking around shallows, beaching on small remote islands, etc, so I want something easy to handle, shallow draft and light enough to push off the bottom. Oh yeah and i do fish but never with more then myself and one other person, so that's a lesser factor.

If the 22' had an open back I'd be more curious, but I don't want to feel completely insulated from the outdoors. I like the quicker access to the helm with the open back 19' and 16' and as I mentioned, I don't feel the need to have enough space inside to accommodate a table and seating. I'd rather keep that space outside.

Thanks again for the thoughts and advice!
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikela wrote:
I've looked at several 22's. Too big for me. I want something easier to tow and with simpler systems and accommodations, smaller outboard, etc. Not looking for a sink, stove, table to eat at, etc.

Based on what you want, you want a 16 footer. OK, so the cruiser does have a table, but it is easily removable. Between the cruiser and the angler, I have had both and like some things about each of them. They might take some getting use to in off shore waters but, when you do, it's like putting on a glove Here is our16 Lizzie next to Chromer's 19 Checkpoint !!

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your additional information indicates that the 16 Angler is the perfect boat for you. The Angler has a shorter cabin and longer cockpit. We just sold our 1991 Angler to Patty's sister and her husband, and they re-powered with a Tohatsu 40 for a lot less than a new Honda or Yamaha would cost. It has full canvas and an Alaska bulkhead (canvas), which you might or might not want, your choice, but we found it important for the nights we wanted to sleep on it on an air mattress! In this photo the handholds and top grabrails that I refinished had not been reinstalled, but they have been now.

I will also mention something else that the 16 Cruiser people do not like to hear, but when I see a Cruiser, it is always riding bow high - all the weight is shifted backward compared to the Angler. The Angler by me is perfectly balanced and rides much more level. But this is a personal thing, and Cruiser owners love their boats as well.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Mikela

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so disappointed. I just missed a 16' that was for sale in Portland Maine by one day. It's a boat I had seen on the docks for years and found the listing just after another guy who wound up buying her. I'd love to get out on a 16' or a 19' just to see how they feel underway.

Are the hull shapes similar? or does the 19' have a deeper V for example? I've heard the 16' pounds a bit in waves, same for the 19'?
Mikela

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Your additional information indicates that the 16 Angler is the perfect boat for you. The Angler has a shorter cabin and longer cockpit. We just sold our 1991 Angler to Patty's sister and her husband, and they re-powered with a Tohatsu 40 for a lot less than a new Honda or Yamaha would cost. It has full canvas and an Alaska bulkhead (canvas), which you might or might not want, your choice, but we found it important for the nights we wanted to sleep on it on an air mattress! In this photo the handholds and top grabrails that I refinished had not been reinstalled, but they have been now.

I will also mention something else that the 16 Cruiser people do not like to hear, but when I see a Cruiser, it is always riding bow high - all the weight is shifted backward compared to the Angler. The Angler by me is perfectly balanced and rides much more level. But this is a personal thing, and Cruiser owners love their boats as well.

What kinds of speed do you normally see with the 16' with a 40 or 50hp engine? I assume it'll plane? And do 15+ knots?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: