The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Max HP Rating on 22’ Cruiser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doolittle

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Doolittle
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Max HP Rating on 22’ Cruiser Reply with quote

My 1990 22’ Cruiser is rated 90hp maximum and yet I seem to see new discussion threads where the newer boats are running more than that. I am just curious why? Did they beef up the transom or change the hull.?

I still run my Yamaha 90 2 stroke and it is because my first one lasted 20 years and I was able to buy a new 2009 model that is virtually identical to my old one. I also then had an entire engine of spare parts! The real plus was a 25% lighter engine than the 4 strokes and the etec engines were too new to gamble on at that time.

I have more than adequate power as proven by many trips out of Neah Bay for Halibut and Bar Crossings at Westport for Salmon. This is more just an academic question. Are the new 22 C Dorys rated higher than 90 and if so why? Thanks and as always be safe.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See these links:

# 1. HP ratings
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=27532&highlight=max++rating+22%92+cruiser

#2. latest word on engine size for CD22
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=4554&highlight=max++rating+22%92+cruiser

Maybe that will help. (Found via the C-BRAT search function.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new C Dorys are rated for 115 hp. We have seen more on some--up to 140 (Suzuki--same block as the 115). But I don't see any reason for more than the 115. For most folks the 90 is plenty--Jay has recently put 120 HP with two 60's and seems to love it. If you run a very heavy boat--such as all cruising gear and supplies for a month the weight adds up. The higher HP is necessary.

Generally the boats are not made to go over 30 mph. The flat bottom tends to get a little skittish at speeds up there. Some have done fine at 35 mph...but

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my part of the world there is a very sound argument that the number of days per year you'll be able to go over 25 mph are few....that is if there really are any when you happen to go out. And I agree it's a valid point, so why pay for the extra power and speed? Well because there are days, and I have been out on them, when you can go really fast for hours and end on flat glass and that is when that extra hp will really shine. It's a tough call...I don't know the answer and have never felt really uncomfortable in the boat going 30 mph or so unless there is some/any swell, and then it feels really weird and skittish I just slow down to where it feels normal. Isn't that what every captain does regardless of hp rating? I think they do. I think all of us with some experience know that even if it says 300 hp on the transom that does not mean you go 50-60 mph no matter what, but there are days you certainly can. I have never had enough power to really test the limits of the hull design of the CD 22 in relation to top speed stability, but there are getting to be lots of them up here with the 115 and the owners say they are fine in the mid to upper 30s when conditions allow and I don't think they have reason to lie about it.
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
In my part of the world there is a very sound argument that the number of days per year you'll be able to go over 25 mph are few....

Last year prior to re-powering, I thought long and hard about going with a large/faster outboard. But it seems to me in the waters I run that going any faster than about 20 knots it is just too hard and tiring to "stay ahead" of the boat diligently looking out for logs. Hitting a big piece-O-timber at even that speed is going to make for a bad day. So I stayed with the 90 hp. I also think there are benefits in keeping the transom as light as possible, and even the 115s weight significantly more.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the 115 on Midnight Flyer, and in running fast with other like boats running the 90's, I didn't pull away much quicker. My top speed, which I just checked the other day before selling the boat, and I was quite light in weight, was about 33 mph. I think the only thing the 115 will give you over the 90, besides maybe 4 or 5mph at most in speed, is you have more pulling power if you are towing a skiier or another boat. And yes, anything over 25 or so in the CD22 starts to get a little squirrely! Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty happy with my 80, (twin 40's) and if I were to repower I would probably go with 50's if weight was not too much of an issue. Here in PNW waters, there are days that you can get flat water, and go fast, but I agree with Steve, (C-Sharp), in that speed can be a detriment, particularly if you were to find a deadhead or some other piece of timber on the water -- If you see birds standing on the water, they aren't. but there are times when there are things floating in the water that don't have birds on them and if you find one of those at 20 something, it is not going to be a good day.

The 40's are adequate power for cruising with a fairly heavy cruise mode boat.
50's would be nice but so far (1500 hours) the 40's have never failed me.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got back this afternoon from another week at Lake Powell. This morning with smooth water & a bit of bow down pressure with trim tabs, I made 34.5 mph with the stainless 15 pitch props at 5800 rpm & the boat handling well. Last fall, I made a short run at Powell & reached 32 mph at 6100 rpm with 14 pitch aluminum props, but the boat was porpoising. This time the water was smoother & I had time to make trim adjustments. With almost 2400 hours on the old 40’s they treated me well, but I’m very happy to now have the 60’s. Most of the time my future running speeds won’t be much different than the past, but I sure enjoy doing it with 1000 rpm less making for a much quieter ride. When heavy & already really working hard the old 40’s, then needing to get the bow down into chop could be a concern, now power when needed is no longer a concern for any reason & there are many where it does make positive differences. To me it’s like running without an auto pilot, then making the same type extended cruise with one. I loved my old 40’s & they served me well, through some fantastic cruises, but I sure like these 60’s a whole lot more.

Jay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: