The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Drain hot water tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Drain hot water tank Reply with quote

I decided to remove the heat element from the factory installed 6 gallon hot water heater in my CD25 (why is another story).

I learned some things from doing this. First off, the tank drains into the shower sump (I always wondered why those "extra" hoses lead to the shower sump); makes sense when you think about it. Second, the drain tap into the tank is higher than the tap into which the heat element screws. So when you attempt to drain the tank, there is at least a gallon left. I tried to soak up the overage with towels when I removed the element, but there was so much water, I just screwed the element back in to stop the "leak".

Does anyone have a simple way to truly drain that tank? My one thought was that I could drive the trailer up onto something like an 8" block on the starboard side; that might give enough list to the boat to keep the excess water in the back of the tank while I removed the element.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never discount what your wife says: Her suggestion, is to put a tube into the point where the drain is, and suck the rest of the water out....Sounds like a good solution to me. For example I have a "water puppy" pump which has a set of adaptors for sucking oil out of crankcases. Or one of the small hand pumps with various fittings, which allows reduction of the size of the tubing. Even a shop vac with adaptors would work.

This involves unscrewing the drain petcock from the tank.

Another trick would be to make a metal or plastic funnel/box to fit right against the tank, where the element is screwed into the tank. Then collect the water in a shallow pan.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooooo.....I like the idea of a Shop-Vac!

If I combine a couple of your ideas, it seems to me the easiest way would be to:

1. place the shop vac large hose business end under the element where it leaves the tank

2. unscrew the element -- you can control the water flow speed by how far you remove the element

3. just let the shop vac take all the water and clean up whatever little spillage with a surrounding towel.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need to at least partially seal the shop around the element mounting hole..just some foam will probably work well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: