View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: Mae-C: Storm Dog's adventure Reply with quote

I am posting this for Glen, "Storm Dog". Glen bought his C Dory 25 "Mae-C" earlier this year, at Stoney Point on the Hudson River ,New York.

Glen will tell his "story" (but I am taking notes!)..when he has a chance. I consider this certainly a grand adventure. He had originally hoped to bring the boat on her own bottom to Biloxi Mississippi earlier in the winter. However weather and other issues prevailed and he flew to New York earlier this week to begin this over 2400 mile trek on a boat he had only sea trialed, and had some issues to be sorted out before he left. Even though it is warmer in May, weather will still play a major issue.

He left Stony Point on May 22 and made it to just about abeam of the Statue of Liberty the evening of the 22: Over 50 miles on a short traveling day.

Today May23, he is just beyond Atlantic City New Jersey, in the Intracoastal Canal thru New Jersey; about 100 miles traveled today.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a grand adventure.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of rain and busted dams up North. I hope new to him vessel works well.
I still lack Norfolk to TN to close out a complete loop in segments. Would have been cool to haul and ride down together but not in the cards as life has delt a wicked hand to our family and health this winter/spring.
Safe travels and will follow this link.
Thanks Bob. Give your precious fish frying lady a hug and tell her my sister and her coheart in fish frying said hello. neither of them used their real names on their name tags as we recall. but a lot of fun

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, Thanks for picking this story up and sharing it. Sounds epic. Sure hope he is able to avoid those north bound storms. It is going to be an interesting honeymoon.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said I was going to let Glen tell his story. But this one is a bit more urgent, so I will throw it out for the group,

Glen anchored in the harbor at the entrance to the New Jersey Cape May Canal this afternoon. He is anchored in about 8 to 10 feet of water (in front of the Commanding officer's house, Cape May NJ Coast Guard Station (this is also the CG training center).

After 9 PM a 50 plus foot sailboat came into the harbor and circles a number of times. Glen is concerned about the sailboat fouling his anchor line....As I can re-construct the incident, at the time that Glen yelled out to keep clear of his anchor rode, the sailboat had already tangled it in its prop and was attempting to maneuver with its bow thruster. The skipper apparently called out, "I won't cut it"... Then the skipper put on a wet suit and dove under the boat--apparently his flashlight was not up to the task, and he was not able to untangle the rode. Glen's boat is tied to the stern of the Canadian registered sailboat.. They will sort it out in the morning.

Glen has a new Vulcan anchor ($$$) and an older 100' rode, with a fairly short length of chain. He has a Lewmar 700 windlass. Thus a splice or knot in is rode is not acceptable.

Glen was anchored in this harbor hours before the sailboat arrived after dark. The sailboat had no business being in water only 8 to 10 feet deep, especially with low visibility. The sailboat is 100% at fault and will have to either retrieve Glen's rode undamaged, and his anchor. Or buy him a new rode, and salvage his anchor.

Although reporting is only mandatory for death, injury or property damage greater than $2,000 (to US Coast Guard, and to New Jersey Marine Police, I have suggested that unless the sailboat owner is willing to either clear his anchor rode, intact and undamaged, and his anchor, or make Glen whole, with a new rode/anchor, that he involve the Coast Guard and or Marine Patrol.

We will know the outcome of this in the morning. Hats off to Glen for keeping his cool in this situation! On top of this, Glen a rough night with little sleep last night...
thataway

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update 5AM CDT: sailboat skipper is to call commercial diver at 7 AM EDT. to clear the prop and retrieve the line. some delay of Glen's plans going up Deleware Bay, but wind will become less and swing more to S. giving better ride later in the day. If his rode is damaged, he needs to be provided a new one by Sailboat skipper. Sailboat skipper sounds like standup guy and agrees to all of this. '

Moral: First to anchor in a cove sets the precedent for other anchoring vessels. They must maneuver and anchor clear of the first to anchor. If another boat fouls the anchor rode, they are responsible for clearing and repair/replacement. We had run into situations like this were our anchor line was fouled or caught several times when long distance cruising. On one occasion I had to threaten the other boat's owner with impound of his vessel until my rode was replaced. We were also involved (spectator and medical response) when a 120' yacht fouled a 75' charter Sailboat in St. Thomas, causing injury to crew member of the sailboat, and over $100,000 damage and loss of revenue of the charter boat. The 120' boat was seized by harbor dept. until all yard bills were paid. Anchoring and potential fouling is serious business.

Our best thoughts for Glen.
Storm Dog

City/Region: Biloxi
State or Province: MS
Vessel Name: Mae-C
Photos: Mae-C
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone from dreary Cape May. So far it’s been an interesting trip. Bob has filled you in on my current situation, so I’m just going to wait to see what happens.

For those interested in details, since 22 May at Stony Point, I’ve come 220 miles total so far.

Starting point to NYC was 47 miles, 4.5 hrs. Had to stop in Weehawken cove, a former marina, to spend the night, as the winds a waves up the river were getting 4 - 6 ft. Once I rounded the Statue of Liberty, it got much worse so I had to head back a few miles. Especially when I saw the Narrows bridge in the distance get swallowed up in fog. Weehawken was nice, with several sunken boats to keep me company. I was in view of probably a million people from million dollar apartments. I’ll post pictures later of my million dollar view that night.

The next day 23 May, still had fog, but the river had flattened out. Radar really came in handy then and I was glad to have it. The radar is most useful for detection of ships and especially nav markers. The markers give a great return when they are too far away or obscured.

As I broke out into the open ocean, there were only 4-5 ft swells with a long period. Made good speed around 20, all the way o Mannesqan inlet.
Storm Dog

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone from dreary Cape May. So far it’s been an interesting trip. Bob has filled you in on my current situation, so I’m just going to wait to see what happens.

For those interested in details, since 22 May at Stony Point, I’ve come 220 miles total so far.

Starting point to NYC was 47 miles, 4.5 hrs. Had to stop in Weehawken cove, a former marina, to spend the night, as the winds a waves up the river were getting 4 - 6 ft. Once I rounded the Statue of Liberty, it got much worse so I had to head back a few miles. Especially when I saw the Narrows bridge in the distance get swallowed up in fog. Weehawken was nice, with several sunken boats to keep me company. I was in view of probably a million people from million dollar apartments. I’ll post pictures later of my million dollar view that night.

The next day 23 May, still had fog, but the river had flattened out. Radar really came in handy then and I was glad to have it. The radar is most useful for detection of ships and especially nav markers. The markers give a great return when they are too far away or obscured.

As I broke out into the open ocean, there were only 4-5 ft swells with a long period. Made good speed around 20, all the way o Mannesqan inlet.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storm Dog, your anchor line predicament is not a new one. Also, "waiting to see
what happens" (aka being nice, as required on this website) may be the right tack
for a bit. I've experienced this also and found at the first hint of things goin'
south for you, it's time to bristle and show some tooth (ask any mangy dog).

A few are standing by, awaiting news of how this is resolved. Good luck.

Aye.

Storm Dog

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to ask, Glen, do you have a back up anchor and rode to use since
redundancy seems a quality you do possess?

Aye.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just talked to Glen and he is underway to the Cape May canal to Delaware Bay at about 9:15 EDT. He has about 51 miles (rumb line) to Delaware Chesapeake Canal. It looks as if the winds will be less than 10 knots.

He was able to retrieve his anchor rode intact with the Vulcan anchor. Since a commercial diver and Tow Boat US were involved, I would guess that the sailboat skipper had a hefty bill. I don't know if this type of situation would be covered by tow insurance.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, Glen is anchored off the Sassasfras River. Nice and calm. This sets him up for some good running conditions with winds of 5 knots and flat seas tomorrow. Down the Chesapeake Bay. I know he has appreciated offers and help from C Brats along the way.

By Wednesday the wind and seas start to pick up a bit and are going to be out of the South. By Friday, 2 to 3 foot seas...in the lower Chesapeake.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how many times I've gotten a bit nervous about other boats crowding my anchor. Fishing boats can be kind of bad as well. You'd think skippers would be a little smarter about boats at anchor, and if it's tight, at least communicate with the person already anchored to see exactly where their anchor is at!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
I don't know how many times I've gotten a bit nervous about other boats crowding my anchor. Fishing boats can be kind of bad as well. You'd think skippers would be a little smarter about boats at anchor, and if it's tight, at least communicate with the person already anchored to see exactly where their anchor is at!

I don't know how many times I have come into an anchorage and tried to raise a boats skipper on the radio to confirm anchor placement or length of rode that is out, with no response. And I have had other boats come in and start to drop an anchor close to mine, with no response on the VHF. That is when the hailer comes in handy.

If Storm Dog had had more chain it probably would not have been fouled on the SB prop.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: