Cook tops

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dubuque chad

City/Region: Dubuque
State or Province: IA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Laura J
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Cook tops Reply with quote

Has anyone ever used a portable induction cook top on their boat. Can they handle the wattage(1600-1800) without shore power?
What do I need to be aware of?
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one and a 2000W pure sine wave inverter. I tried the single burner on by other boat that has a 3000W inverter/charger but isn't pure sine wave. Didn't work. So just be aware that your $50 induction burner needs a $200 PSW inverter. It works so fast and clean that I still think it is a bargain.

In fact I'm thinking of biting the bullet and pulling out the propane stove, getting a 3000W pure sine wave inverter, and putting in a two burner induction cooktop. Again, two burner induction is $150 and PSW inverter is $300. I don't really have anything else that needs PSW.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used induction cooking aboard boats for 3 years now. We have a Newwave, and a Duxtop induction burners.

We were able to run the cookers off the 1000 watt Honda. You can do most of your cooking on medium, and that uses in the 680 watt range or sometimes less, which is in the capabilities of the Honda EU1000.

With our C Dory 25, we have 200 amp hours of LIFEPO4 batteries, a Victron 2000 watt PSW inverter/80 amp charger. That does a great job with the induction burner. Several C Brats are using a much cheaper inverter. The Honda EU2200 does fine with both the induction burner and microwave (So does the inverter, but it is a huge draw even for the Li Fe PO4 batteries..)

Be sure you have the battery power for an inverter to run the induction burner. The inverter may draw up to 100 amps. In 30 minutes you would take a group 31 battery down to where it is 50% discharged (which is about as low as you should take it).

I have run inverters off 2 group 31 AGM batteries to run a microwave--the induction will use less power.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Dubuque chad

City/Region: Dubuque
State or Province: IA
Vessel Name: Laura J
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot to think about.
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I ok to assume that true sine wave and pure sine wave are the same just different term.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene Morris wrote:
Am I ok to assume that true sine wave and pure sine wave are the same just different term.

Yes, probably. IF you put an oscilloscope on the less expensive, "Pure" or "true" sine wave inverters, I suspect you will get a multi step wave with distortion, vs the more expensive units where it will be in distinguishable from what you have in "mains" power. Modified sine wave will be a series of square steps, and there are some which are just one square wave above neutral and one below. Even the "pure" sine wave units may have distortion. Below: Blue is square wave, red is multistep square waves, and black is a true sine wave. Some "pure" sine wave may be 60 steps per cycle, or a lower quality may be 30 steps--and more distortion.

As others have found Induction burners will work with certain inverters, and not with others, both claiming to be "pure sine wave". I have found that with microwave ovens, most will work with modified sine wave, but all tend to overheat the circuits, and create more of a "buzz" noise than others. If you just want a basic unit and the $300 inverter works, then you have saved a bundle. In any case, the induction burner may be the least of your expenses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: