The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

HF Predator Generator vs Honda - HF sale
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Shore Power Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to note with generators in a salty environment:
A friend cruising the Pacific had his Honda 2000i fail in Tahiti and finally sorted out why in New Zealand, it had a stuck valve that had corrosion on it due to being left open on the intake stroke. The advice about draining the carb we all know, he was told to also store it pulled up to the compression stroke so the valves are closed.

I have used both my 1000 and 2000i Hondas on my sailboat for years, love them both. Now having 400 watts of solar on our CD 25 that run the fridge, freezer and everything else we no longer need to carry either of the Hondas.

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Generator Reply with quote

We have the HF 8750 for our house it starts up every month and works Great for our home We also have a2400 Yamaha that’s 15 years old starts on the first or second pull but it’s over 80 lb with fuel to heavy to bring on a CC23 venture
So I just bought a Cummins Onan 2500i that’s 50 lb so we shall see .it says it will run a 10000 btu AC so hopefully it will work with my RV AC 9200 btu on my roof
My friend has the HF preditor 2000 and it runs has 6000 btu AC in his truck camper

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on the Craftsman 3000? Found a used one here (new in box) for a good price. The specs seem good and it's more powerful but Craftsman says it only runs for 4.5 hrs at 50%. That's with over a gallon of fuel.

I only need it for running a window AC unit so a 2000, with it's lighter weight, is probably better.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading these posts. some say buy the cheap ones, they're good, others say buy Honda, they last. Obviously, it's your choice and I hope that whatever you buy, it works for you.

That said, I'd like to point out that better design, better parts and better assembly cost money. I believe that's why Hondas cost more. You do get what you pay for. I have the example of my brother who buys HF units for his ranch, regularly once per year, saying he has to have it right now. I, on the other hand, have had the same Honda generator for the last 18 years. Again, you spend your money and you get to take your choice.

For those of you who buy a Chinese brand, (Craftsman, Harbor Freight, etc.) if it works, you'll be happy over the next year or so. I'll stick with my Honda, regardless of the testimonials for other brands.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curioustraveler wrote:
Any thoughts on the Craftsman 3000? Found a used one here (new in box) for a good price. The specs seem good and it's more powerful but Craftsman says it only runs for 4.5 hrs at 50%. That's with over a gallon of fuel.

I only need it for running a window AC unit so a 2000, with it's lighter weight, is probably better.

The "Craftsman" 3000 is rated at 2300 watts, and weight of 50#--engine size is 149 CC vs Honda 121 CC. It appears to be more powerful than the Honda. Larger engine, will use more fuel. Half load would be continuous restive load of about 1250 watts.

If you only want to run a 5,000 BTU window air conditioner--the Honda 1000 will run those. I have had three of the window units, and all ran off the 1000. The reason I have a 2200 now is for the water heater and to more rapidly charge my Li FePO4 batteries. The 1000 would run a 30 amp charger easily. I now use an 80 amp charger.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
curioustraveler

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thataway,

Looking into some of the comparisons, I think the Craftsman is too big for my intended use. Physically bigger and significantly heavier.

I'll look into the 1000’s.

Thanks
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a Honda 2000i and currently have a Honda 1000i. After an expensive repair on the first Honda generator, I thought I could get by with non-ethanol fuel and Stabil so I did not have to manually drain the carb on the 1000i, which to me is a major PITA. Wrong, another expensive repair on the 1000i. You HAVE to manually drain the carb on Honda generators or be prepared for an expensive repair.

I will NEVER buy another portable generator that does not have a fuel shut-off valve so I can run the fuel out of the carb. For some unknown reason, although Honda lawnmowers have fuel shut-off valves, none of their generators do. Sometime ago, I came across a website that had a lot of pretty good product reviews. It is campaddict.com, by two people who live full time in travel trailers. Kelly preferred Yamaha, but Marshall was sold on WEN. The one he had also lacked a fuel shut-off, but WEN also makes one with a fuel-shut off valve, the WEN 56225i. This will be my next portable generator. 2250 watts, 48.5 lbs., fuel shut-off valve.

This is the one for me,

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A point of interest.....

I have a Honda lawn mower which has the fuel shut off. I religiously ran the engine out of fuel each time I used it under this theory that it's best to get the fuel out of the carb. Then a friend, who knows engines, told me: "NO". He said it was best to leave the fuel in since when you drain the carb, there is always some fuel left and now lots of air. His theory was that you are more likely to get carb "varnish/gum" by draining the carb. So now I don't drain it (even during the winter). But I have no idea which theory is correct.

Anyone know the "facts"?

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
A point of interest.....

I have a Honda lawn mower which has the fuel shut off. I religiously ran the engine out of fuel each time I used it under this theory that it's best to get the fuel out of the carb. Then a friend, who knows engines, told me: "NO". He said it was best to leave the fuel in since when you drain the carb, there is always some fuel left and now lots of air. His theory was that you are more likely to get carb "varnish/gum" by draining the carb. So now I don't drain it (even during the winter). But I have no idea which theory is correct.

Anyone know the "facts"?

I can only go by personal experience. I ran the fuel out of my Honda lawnmower each time I used it for the last, oh, 15 years or so, and it always started easily. I did NOT drain the carbs on two Honda generators and ended up with expensive carb repairs on each. So I would have to kind of doubt what your friend is telling you.
krc

City/Region: SF Bay Area
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: krc
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Do note... Reply with quote

I believe IIRC that HF generator/inverter manuals want you to startup and run them every 90 days ( and run for 30 minute minimum). I left it for about 9 months without starting, and it started up albeit after a few tries.
K
thataway

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run the engine (outboard, lawnmower, generator, pressure washer etc, every few weeks, then leave treated gas in the carburetor. (Injected engines are OK with fuel.)

If you cannot run it once a month--then drain. You will gum up the carburetor. Long experience--since the 1940's....
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's tslk about draining carbs, shall we? The message is drain those carbs, it gets ALL the fuel out.

I had the worlds heaviest 10 horse Honda outboard. To drain the carb, one had to remove the lifting straps. remove the hood, loosen a screw, wait till the gas drained out, tighten the screw, etc, etc. So I neglected to do that. My reward was, whilst on a trip, it refused to start. Turns out the starting tube? was clogged with a white residue. Removed that and it now started. Well, of course, I now drain the kicker after every trip. And with the Tohatsu (the worlds lightest 10 horse) which replaced the Honda.

I also have a Honda 1000i, which gave me carb problems after a couple of years. It has a shut off valve, combined with an ignition switch, so you can't run it dry. I got a new carb, and those aren't free. Discovered that there was, as Pat mentioned, a drain screw. That drain screw totally drained the carb's float bowl, no gas remaining. So now I have to take both the small outboard and the generator apart and drain the carbs. A pain in the rear, but they both start easily now.

The top of the Honda generator carb has a servo mechanism, which gives the "i" in the name. After several years of service, these become stickey, so that the no-load speed will vary. Just shoot a little silicone spray in there and all will be well. That generator has lasted for 18 years and is still going strong.

Boris
curioustraveler

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, how about the Yamaha 2000? Found a basically new one for a decent price. Still under warranty.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be sure it is a genuine Yahama generator:EF 2000iSv2. There were some generators which had Yahama engines, but not the same generator section. The EF2000iSv2 is well respected and equivalent to the Honda. Yamaha has a 2200 which seems to have replaced the 2000.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
If you run the engine (outboard, lawnmower, generator, pressure washer etc, every few weeks, then leave treated gas in the carburetor. (Injected engines are OK with fuel.)

FWIW, I don't do anything with my lawn mover between seasons. It's carbed and runs on E-10 gas straight from the pump (i.e. untreated). I just put it away around the end of Oct and start it up again in April (more or less). Other than an extra pull or two to get it started in the spring, no noticeable difference in the way it runs. Worked fine for 10 years so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Shore Power Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: