The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

HF Predator Generator vs Honda - HF sale
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Shore Power Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krc

City/Region: SF Bay Area
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: krc
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: HF Predator Generator vs Honda - HF sale Reply with quote

Hi -
Any thoughts on the reliability of predator engine generators? I know a lot of folks here use the Hondas and I am sure they are quite reliable. But seems to be a good deal on comparable off-brand model - much cheaper if the comparison is accurate. Not sure if this is "too much" generator though... CD25.
[url]
https://www.harborfreight.com/
[/url]
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most folks are using the Honda 2000i generator. This particular HF model is a 3500w beast, at 107 pounds. (The Honda 2000i weighs 45.6 pounds.)

Tests I've seen of the smaller HF model (Pedator 62523) that is more in-line with the Honda 2000i (or the updated 2200) show that it is a bit louder, not as fuel efficient, but seems to be reliable. And considerably less $$.

If I were getting it for use on a 25, I would be looking at something smaller than that HF 3500w model.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big consideration (IMHO) is noise level. Looking at specs won't give you a good idea of this. The Honda 2000i (and follow-ons) that many have, including me, is very quite. I'd be skeptical that the cheaper knock-offs are as quiet.

You also want an inverter generator (that's what the "i" stands for in 2000i) since an inverter generator can be set so that it runs only as fast as necessary (and therefore as quiet as possible) depending on the load. Non-inverters say they have "idle control", or whatever they choose to call it, but such features are very ineffective on non-inverter generators.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inverter generators produce a true sine wave AC current, wheres most other generators produce more of a "square wave' current.

This makes a significant difference when running electronic devices and appliances directly off the generator.

Inverter generators first generate the square wave current, but then run it through a true solid state inverter which re-generates the smooth sine wave and filters out the original square pattern.

I've owned a Honda 1000i unit for 14 years that's kept mostly in storage, but starts and runs perfectly ever time I use it.

I'd stick with the Honda or a Yamaha or a similar high quality unit.

My two cents!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Honda 2000i and it is very reliable and very quiet. I use it mostly on my ranch. Many of the lower cost models are, you get what you paid for, they are less reliable and noisier. This is one of my pet peeves today when camping and boating is that everyone seems to need a generator to power their big rigs and all the stuff in it. The excessive noise takes away from the camping and cruising experience. I was camping recently and a fellowed pulled out a big noisey 6500 watt generator so his wife could plug in her coffee machine. Another ran the big generator for six hours so that his wife could make fresh bread in a bread maker. There are alternative ways to do things while camping. Personally I have added solar panels to my 22' and I have a Pelican super cooler. So I don't need a generator. If I was in an area where I needed air conditioning, I might need a generator. In that case for my own enjoyment and to disturb others around me as little as possible, I would use the smallest, quietest generator that I could find and that would be a Honda.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, not a fan of HF for anything other than tools you "need" but rarely "use".

We have a Honda 20000i and that thing is a champ. It can sit all winter and will start up on the 2nd or 3rd pull. We use it only on the boat, so it gets lightly used due to the PNW's "excellent weather".

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest iteration of the Honda 2000, is the Honda EU 2200I . It is about 10% more powerful, quieter, and has a fuel shut off valve, so you can run the carburetor dry! This is a very desirable feature.

I have one of the very first small Honda generators--it was rated at 800 watts surge 550 watts sustained. It is almost 40 years old, has traveled with me over 100,000 miles on the water and across several oceans--still runs well. During one of the major storms, it powered neighbor's freezer and refrigerator for 6 weeks.

I have run the 1000 and 2000 Hondas for several thousand hours cumulatively. I have a friend who has over 2000 hours on his Honda EU 2000i.

I love the new 2200 Honda--seems easier to start and not having to drain the carburetor is a real plus.

If you go to the RV, Cruising boat and Ham radio forums, there is a bit of information on all of the copies of the Honda (Wen, Ghonda, Champion, Ryobi, Preditor, Generac, Northern Tool, etc. and a bunch or others). The Yamaha, consistently gets good reviews, but I have heard of a few issues where it would not run a water maker. Many have good luck with ones like the HF Predator. Those who have longer term use, tend to find much better service with Honda and Yamaha. Parts may be hard, or impossible to find for the Predator. Ham radio reviews show that the power output is "dirty" where as the Honda is very clean. (This means voltage spikes and RF interference--probably a function of the inverter section).

Consumer reports compared Honda and Predator. Honda won by only a hair. One of the differences was warrantees: Honda 3 years, Predator 90 days. Their recommendation, if you want it for camping--the Predator. If you want power backup for the home in real emergency: Honda.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

costco has deals on Yamaha 1600watt generators for $595. I have one, works fine so far.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C-Brats have listed topics on this subject for years: Cheap Chinese generators vs Honda. It all boils down to what you want. I think it's unfair to compare Honda with an unknown Chinese unit, strictly on price. Honda also sells reliability.

If you're happy with the reliability of the Harbor Freight units, go for it. Personally, I've had 19 years of use out of a Honda 1000i. And I've bought one of the Costco units, 1800 watts, for the times when SDGE turns off the power during high winds. The Yamaha engine got me to take a chance, but note that only the engine is Yamaha, the rest is some unknown Chinese company. Let's hope that works. I need reliability when I'm cruising and the 2 times/year when the power goes out at home.

Harbor Freight is not know for high quality. I buy from them because, as was said above, I only need the tool/machine to work once. I have no experience with the rest of the units mentioned, but they look like the harbor Freight units and probably come from the same factory.

Boris
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Gensets Reply with quote

The yamaha2000 engine is I believe in the SUA2000 Chinese company I bought the SUA😭2300 it was terrible I brought it back to Sams club It would not work my 9200 Coleman AC unit or my Dometic 11000 BTU AC unit But my friends Honda 2000 fired both of them up one at a time I’m looking for a good genset probably going to buy the Honda2200 after I get the sticker shock out of my head
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island / Jacksonville
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Predatory Generator Reply with quote

i use a Predator generator as a primary piece of equipment on my flounder Jon boat to run the lights for the duration of each charter and I do many charters each year. It is an 8750 max starting / 7000 running watts 13 HP.

https://www.harborfreight.com/8750-Max-Starting7000-Running-Watts-13-HP-420cc-Generator-CARB-with-GFCI-Outlet-Protection-63087.html

I started out with Honda for the name but then learned that even though they are more expensive they rust and weather in the saltwater environment just as much as the much chinese generators. I compared the chinese generators at northern tool and harbor freight and found the Predator at harbor freight to be the best value I found by far.

I've used it for about a year, have had no problems and am very happy with it.

http://www.floundergigging.com
Flounder Gigging Charters
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
904-556-0230 Cell/Text
curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd add a reply to this one. KRC, did you end up going with a Harbor Freight generator? I'd like to pick up a generator for AC this summer and the $470 price tag for the HF Predator is very attractive.

Compared to the Honda:
Weight about the same
Size a tad bigger
YouTube comparisons claim loudness about equal or possibly quieter
Slightly less power but I think still plenty for AC

With all the extra money I'm spending this year on Curious Traveler, saving $500 on the generator is a big deal. Besides possible long-term durability issues, is there any really important reasons to spend double on a Honda?

Thanks
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think how the generator will be used should be a major consideration. If you only run 'lights' in a saltwater environment I would definitely go the cheaper route. If you, or your neighbors, enjoy quiet than more $$$ in sound dampening is better. If you will also be using sine-wave sensitive devices, like small Li-ion chargers etc., I suggest an inverter-generator is the way to go.

FWIW- I think my six year old Honda 2000i was well worth the $900 price I paid, and I'm thinking I could get $750 tomorrow for it if I wanted to sale it?

krc

City/Region: SF Bay Area
Photos: krc
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: HF Reply with quote

I ended up buying the HF 3500 inverter on sale. I have used it a couple of times for the home which was actually the primary need (fire season, mandatory shutdowns).
I was "thinking" of using on the cd25 as well, but frankly I think it is just too heavy. So probably will be the HF 2000 which comes it at 50lbs or so IIRC.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went thru the recent RV literature (Most use larger such as the 3500), and very little about the Predator. The reviews are mostly about the 3500 Predator and are favorable, as is the one in Consumer reports. question is what will it be like 5 years from now? The Honda will hold its resale value. Not sure about the Predator.

I have a Honda 800/500 watt which I purchased in 1980, it still runs fine. It has over 100,000 miles on sailboats as a back up to run small power tools and chargers. I have been using the Honda 2000's for over 20 years and never had a failure. My current is the 2200, and there are a couple of features I really like--one is you can run the carburetor out of fuel (you could put a valve in the fuel line on the 2000 or on any other brand if you wish), but it is important to store these generators with no gas in the carburetor.

My feeling in general about Harbor Freight--is they are good for nitrile gloves and similar items. I have only bought a couple of electric tools--mainly because I only needed for a short time....For the most part they have been cheap, and failed fairly rapidly. If you buy the Predator, be sure and get the extended warranty. When I want a generator on the boat it is usually to run the air conditioner, a microwave ir space geaerover a period of time or a battery charger. I want it to work and to start easily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Shore Power Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: