Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
machanes

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Merry Juanderer
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Stuck window Reply with quote

I have a 2004 C-Dory 22' cruiser. My Starboard side helm window is stuck. It's been that way since late summer. It used open just fine. Not sure what happened. I can jiggle it up and down it jus won't open. The handle moves. I've removed the rubber trim from the inside of the window. I stuck a razor blade all the way around the felt on the inside and outside of the window. I sprayed water, soap and even tried kroil, 3-in one oil and WD 40 all the way around the exterior of the window. It's stuck. OK Brats, the gauntlet has been thrown. Any ideas on how to fix/open this? Thanks in advance.
WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine were that way when I purchased boat

When they finally did break loose

Washed a whole bunch of debris out from around them with a pressure washer

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you get it working. Flood it with Lots of water. And always after being out on the water, flood it with lots, and lots, and lots of water. And when it is dry, spray the bottom track with "Dry Rollers" spray, it is a dry Teflon/silicone spray. It works, IF you do it regularly.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

turtleblues

City/Region: Friday Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: DVant
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My window was stuck, but I did get it to open, however the glued on handle came unglued a made a beautiful dive overboard. Any ideas where to get a replacement and what to glue it with? I used 5200 and obviously that did not work on glass.
Big bummer.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A can of Mary Kate Liquid Rollers has been a favored way of getting windows to move again around here. After any salt water outing, we kept a spray bottle of 50/50 vinegar and water to clean the windows and spray in the tracks (after flushing it with fresh water). Once a month or so use the Liquid Rollers. You will be surprised at how much crud comes out of those tracks the first time you get it to move.

One other "technique" that worked for us: push the window just a bit forward (as though you were shutting it), then squeeze on the handle and pull it back.

Those windows are great, but they do require regular upkeep.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The perfect piece of equipment for that job is a in home steam cleaner. About the size of a small watering can. If you lived nearer to me you could have bought mine for $15 Cad. Look on Craigslist Comox Valley, BC. for a pic of what they look like.

Martin.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the Kroil, 3/1 and WD40 probably made the issue worse. The steam cleaner is a great idea. We have always used washing-including a low pressure (but CAT pump type) if stuck. You have to get all of the algae, accumulated 'junk' that besoms like a glue. It is entirely possible that you may have to take the frame apart, and put in a new "U" track at this point.

We use a dry silicone lube (not wet) for lubrication. Wash the track all around and let warm soap and water sit. Then let it dry after through rinse. Stay the lubricant: Mary Kate liquid rollers is one. Many other brands are available,

We keep a very small pry bar, that we can use between the window frame and handle to get the window moving if it is stuck. Do not pry on the glass. Another trick is to use a suction cup designed to carry glass panels. Sea Sucker is a brand some use on their boats... but HOD (Handle On Demand) is available at Home Depot. Work the window a small distance, up and down as well as back and forth as the washing continues to break loose the material.

New window handles are available thru Diamond Sea Glaze retail store:

Adven Tec retail store.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtleblues wrote:
My window was stuck, but I did get it to open, however the glued on handle came unglued a made a beautiful dive overboard. Any ideas where to get a replacement and what to glue it with? I used 5200 and obviously that did not work on glass.
Big bummer.

New handle was nearly forty bucks

Think they charged me Canadian price
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtleblues wrote:
... I used 5200 and obviously that did not work on glass.
Big bummer.

I first applied the handle based on the instructions. It started coming loose fairly soon after. Then I used 5200 on mine, and it is still stuck on. One thing is that the glass has to be really clean. I used a solvent to clean it, but you can't use alcohol.
machanes

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject: Stuck window Reply with quote

Thank you all for the great advice. I'll keep working at it and hopefully by the weeks end, I'll have it unstuck. First up to bat is pressure washing it to get rid of the crud. Then, I'll buff the hull and do the bright work. Then, change the oils and all the filters. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Again, thank you all for your kind input and thoughtful advice.

The Merry Wanderer
Storm Dog

City/Region: Biloxi
State or Province: MS
Vessel Name: Mae-C
Photos: Mae-C
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Merry Traveler!

I'll be rooting for you! I have the same task ahead of me in a couple of days. When I tried to open the helm window, I thought I was break my arms! Talk about needing 3 men and a boy!
machanes

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:12 am    Post subject: Stuck window Reply with quote

Viola! I got it open.
I soaked the frame for about an hour while I washed the hull and engines reapplying water when I remembered.
Throwing caution to the wind, I took a pressure washer and sprayed it around the frame of the part of the window that opens. While that didn't completely work I think it helped quite a bit. From the inside of the cabin, I used a flat head screw driver and put in front of the handle and ever so gently pried it open while depressing the handle and gently pulling it backward. Thankfully, it popped open on the first attempt. That said, I knew there was significant risk of breaking the window.
After I opened it, I flushed the track, using a water bottle, with copious amounts of water to flush all years of crud out. It took some time but water and an old tooth brush seemed to do the trick. It's drying now and hopefully in the morning I'll have luck on side and it will slide freely. My intent is to try find some marykate liquid roller that hardee, jamestxsd and thataway recommended.
As part of my routine maintenance, I plan to use the 50/50 vinegar solution and marykate as Jamestxsd recommended.

Hope this helps others and gratitude to the wise seamen who ventured forth from the abyss to offer their wisdom. Thank you, Merry Juanderer.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaning window slide tracks with fresh water and a tooth brush (someone else's)
of dried salt water, dirt/crud, and dead bugs/bug crud is always good - as is
getting crud in general off your boat.*

Light application of dry lubricants in the dry slide track is also good.

Wet lubricants and oily lubricants attract and hold new crud/dirt/debris and are
bad.

Aye.

*Window jamming crud comes from both outside and inside your boat.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cannot find the Dry Roller spray, look also for a dry silicone spray. I believe they are pretty close to the same thing, at least as to how they work for the window slides. I have used that too, but I started with the Dry Rollers and have used that most consistently.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

machanes

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:07 am    Post subject: STUCK WINDOW. Reply with quote

OK. Window is working great. But like Weekitiki, I pulled the handle right off. Thankfully, I was on dry land at the time and it fell into the cabin.

Now, I need to get back on. Anyone have an idea on what to use to get it permanently stick?

Thanks in advance, again.

Merry Juanderer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: