The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New to Forum. Saying Hello! :)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyRambles

City/Region: Michigan/Florida
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: New to Forum. Saying Hello! :) Reply with quote

I'm currently a full time RV traveler (Basically a nomadic Michigan/Florida snowbird) and have been contemplating adding a small trailer-able boat to enhance my on the water opportunities while traveling. The 16ft C-dory has caught my attention due to its manageable size and unique characteristics, so far it seems like it may be the perfect fit!

I just wanted thank everyone here for all pics and information they have posted here over years. They've been extremely helpful and I hope to return the favor in the near future . John
Fishcatcher907

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Legacy
Photos: Legacy
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and I hope you find that perfect boat!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny, Welcome and enjoy. This is a great place with a whole bunch of really good folk, knowledgeable and friendly so come on in, "Just be Nice" and let us know how your search is going.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the CD 16, and if that is what has caught your eye, then go for it. But many RVs are able to tow the CD 19, CD 22, and marginally the CD 25. I have towed my CD 22 with an E450 class C for thousands of miles and it has done fine - hardly know it is back there until you come to a 6% grade, tow in a strong crosswind, or fill up the fuel tank.
JohnnyRambles

City/Region: Michigan/Florida
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
I love the CD 16, and if that is what has caught your eye, then go for it. But many RVs are able to tow the CD 19, CD 22, and marginally the CD 25. I have towed my CD 22 with an E450 class C for thousands of miles and it has done fine - hardly know it is back there until you come to a 6% grade, tow in a strong crosswind, or fill up the fuel tank.

I have a small, Ram Promaster based RV and while I could definitely tow the 19 and 22', I just don't think they would fit as well with my travels and purpose.

The "light bulb" moment I had when I saw the 16 footer is that I could store it while on the road. At under 8ft tall /under 20ft long on the trailer it will fit in most storage units as I jump around from place to place. That's a game changer for me to be able temporarily and inexpensively store it. This way I can still park at the beaches, boondock and easily travel in the more urban areas of South Florida that I have been, but with a boat! The 16 also keeps my entire rig under 40ft, which is the upper limit for many State Park sites I frequent.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JohnnyRambles"
it while on the road. At under 8ft tall /under 20ft long on the trailer it will fit in most storage units as I jump around from place to place. That's a game changer for me to be able temporarily and inexpensively store it. This way I can still park at the beaches, boondock and easily travel in the more urban areas of South Florida that I have been, but with a boat! The 16 also keeps my entire rig under 40ft, which is the upper limit for many State Park sites I frequent.[/quote]

Just note that the roof of the cruiser is a few inches taller than the roof of the angler. Just look at pictures in albums and you'll see what I mean. I couldn't get our cruiser in the garage, but the angler went in. Also, get the articulated tongue on the hitch. You will love either model. It tows easily so don't forget that it's back there Laughing

"...we're all in the same boat..."
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of good reasons for a 16 over the 19 and the 22 when it comes to traveling around. I have a 16 foot boat too I like to tow behind the MH and explore with. It's super light, easy to tow, and a great little boat for lots of stuff. And since it has a modified "V" in the front, it actually is more capable than you'd think it would be. A CD 16 is a perfect small water boat in my opinion and I wish I had one instead of the open skiff at times. Welcome to the C-Brats!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. We have towed boats with RV's for many years. The nearest we have to your experience was a Road Trek 19 on Dodge 3500 chassis. Rated to tow 6800lbs. Fine for the 22, used a few times with 25--too much!

We currently have a Winnie VIA 25 on the 3500 chassis and can tow our 18' Caracal Cat, but although theoretically we could tow a 22, It would be a push. The 16 would work fine for what you have and want to do.

After all of this is over, Drop by "Camp Thataway"--we have a dock and RV hookups. (Very exclusive clientele)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Teufelshunde

City/Region: Sebastopol
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Fish Wisher
Photos: Fishwisher
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard and sounds like you know what you want so good luck in your search.
Fish on!

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyRambles wrote:
T.R. Bauer wrote:

I have a small, Ram Promaster based RV and while I could definitely tow the 19 and 22', I just don't think they would fit as well with my travels and purpose.

The "light bulb" moment I had when I saw the 16 footer is that I could store it while on the road. At under 8ft tall /under 20ft long on the trailer it will fit in most storage units as I jump around from place to place. That's a game changer for me to be able temporarily and inexpensively store it. This way I can still park at the beaches, boondock and easily travel in the more urban areas of South Florida that I have been, but with a boat! The 16 also keeps my entire rig under 40ft, which is the upper limit for many State Park sites I frequent.

I do like your RV style and travel style.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: