The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

TC255 Cockpit Enclosure in Phifertex

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: TC255 Cockpit Enclosure in Phifertex Reply with quote

Hi Friends!

We have long desired an aft enclosure for the TC255 cockpit. Our priorities were 1), it must allow some breeze through the fabric, 2) no isinglass in it, 3) moderate rain diversion properties (not including torrential downpours like our typical Florida thunderstorms, when we go inside) 4) better privacy than nothing at all, 5) have sectional panels allowing partial use as sun shade or wind partial protection and 6) have a small stored footprint for easy storage onboard.

We’ve had clear panels on the Regal cockpit canvas enclosure and hated it. Most have to be rolled, never folded and were a pain to store onboard. We’ve been using light fly camping tarps secured to bimini railings, but it billows in any wind and is difficult to secure at the bottom. The PO had never used the King bimini that came with the 2010 boat when we bought it in 2013. Our canvas shop owner said the original Sunbrella and ⅞” SS railings were in good shape ( a bit of fading in areas) and that he could attach new sides to it with zippers at the top and sides with bungies at the bottom.

We chose a 90% (alternate 70%) light occluding Phifertex woven polypropylene weave. We’re very pleased with the visibility looking out, and with how much breeze it allows through. He advised 9 different zippered panels, each of which can be attached or stowed independently. Although we don’t see needing it, we elected an additional zipper entrance at the aft boarding rails for water access as well. Panels can also be rolled up and secured by velcro tapes under the bimini as well as completely removed and stashed in a custom bag.

We don’t fish and understand why the fisherpersons hate any non-cantilever bimini, but we think this one will be great for us cruising couples.

Total cost was $2700 including tax (extra 3% charge for credit cards) using the existing bimini. We’re very happy to finally find an option that meets all 6 of our priorities. Pics are in the subalbum on page 18 of Cat O’ Mine album. Hat tip to Bill on R-23 Mystery Girl for first demo of Phifertex on his Ranger Tug in 2016 and to Dr Bob for advice on access tips for any Tom Cat cockpit enclosure.

This shop (Coastal Canvas) did a great job replacing all the Sunbrella on the cushions with the same Silver as the window coverings.

I haven’t found any other Phifertex cockpit enclosure projects on the site, but I’m not a skilled searcher. If another Brat has done one, please point me there.

Pardon the dirty boat in the pics, it hadn’t been washed since returning from the Hontoon hoot, but now it’s been cleaned and has 4 coats of Poli-Glow (Ha! Just made Bob snort!).

John
[img]http://www.c-brats.com/albums/album3110/DSC03953.sized.jpg[img]

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some made up for the side windows on the cabin. makes the cabin a lot cooler at Lake Powell. I have all the materials bought to due the cockpit just haven't got around to it. maybe this summer. Yours looks nice. Steve on Seaspray has his camperback done that way.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, Your camper "canvas" looks great. Coastal Canvas is first class; they use the best materials, and quality is always excellent. Your cost for the Phifertex curtains were almost exactly half of what I was quoted there for a full , screen/40 mil stratoglass vinyl.

How does it work during the rain?. Our boat came with only standard insect screens, and the heavy rain gets thru it easily. We made inner panels with ShelterRite and clear vinyl for about $300, which is totally waterproof.. All of this stores (OK sticks out a little at each end) in the overhead rack in our CDory 25...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, John. We also hated our clear enclosure camperback, but I believe that those breathable panels would make all the difference. I like the privacy aspect, too. Great job.
gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob!

We haven’t been on the boat in the rain yet, and likely won’t until our next adventure cruise. Instead I’ll put up one panel and photo inside/outside getting a hose ‘shower’ soaking to demo that. It’s GOT to be better than insect sceen.

I forgot to include insect protection in our priority list...I’m confident the Pfiphertex will protect against flies and mosquitoes...but nothing we’ve ever found will inhibit no-see-ums in the Everglades for an hour before and after sunrise and sunset. Admit defeat, go inside and turn on the AC at the dock.

PS we had Pensacola Mobile Screens replace all the screens on the boat with no-see-um screens...total cost $95 (highly recommended). That helps, as does treating screens with pyrethrin clothing spray. However, we’ve watched clouds of no-see-ums pass through the fumes of our ThermaCell on the transom seat and drop dead midair rather than decide to go elsewhere for a blood meal.

I CAN tell you that the new enclosure keeps the cockpit 10 degrees cooler due to some breeze flow-through with complete shade (limited experience at the dry slip pictured...however, this was Priority #1 and 10 times more important to us than rain protection despite my 1-6 rankings). Granted we’ve had some fresh Gulf breezes at 10-15 MPH, but that’s common. I’ll measure wind speed in vs out with a Davis digital meter and report back.

I just installed Zoom. When we again violate Home Detention Friday for some more boating maybe we’ll shoot some video. NAS marina, dry slips, wet slips and ramps have remained open. On Johnson Beach (officially closed, but does not appear to be patrolled) our nearest Social contact is over 2 miles away (with binocs) and over 20 ft at our slip.

With all this Time Off, I hope to learn how to attach a pic to a post. It may take another 7 years.

Happy Waiting!

John

gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Brat Friends:
Update on our Phifertex camperback project re allowing a breeze through:

On the day pictured, wind speed was 12.2 MPH with gusts to 15 (measured with a Davis ultrasonic meter) http://www.davis.com/Product/Davis_Instruments_Windscribe_276_Handheld_Wind_Speed_Indicator/DO-68000-22)
decreasing to about 4MPH inside enclosure. The subjective feeling strikes us that this Phifertex enclosure blocks about 75% of the wind. The objective numbers seem to be consistent with that. It’s a LOT more refreshing breeze in the cockpit vs a canvas and Stratoglas camperback (while much less expensive). For more breeze, simply remove a panel or two...takes 30 seconds each with zippers on tops and sides and bungies on the bottom.

Update on rain:
Ain’t had none, so we used a hose sprayer with jet and shower setting sprayed directly onto the Phifertex from the side as pictured to simulate rain in a gale. With full force jet, some did burble through within the small circle in pic #984, but most (95%) sheeted down with some misting inside. A bit hard to photograph well. With full ‘shower’ directed full on the sides, mostly water sheeting down as shown in large circle in #986.

Before wetting:
Eileen receives instructions on how to avoid blasting this non-waterproof camera with her hose and its impressive marina water pressure.
[/img]Brat Friends:
Update on our Phifertex camperback project re allowing a breeze through:

On the day pictured, wind speed was 12.2 MPH with gusts to 15 (measured with a Davis ultrasonic meter) http://www.davis.com/Product/Davis_Instruments_Windscribe_276_Handheld_Wind_Speed_Indicator/DO-68000-22)
decreasing to about 4MPH inside enclosure. The subjective feeling strikes us that this Phifertex enclosure blocks about 75% of the wind. The objective numbers seem to be consistent with that. It’s a LOT more refreshing breeze in the cockpit vs a canvas and Stratoglas camperback (while much less expensive). For more breeze, simply remove a panel or two...takes 30 seconds each with zippers on tops and sides and bungies on the bottom.

We are very happy with this unique upgrade. You might consider it in your camperback searches for a TC255. Again, not for the fisherpersons, but we think great for everyone else.

Boating stuff is SO much more interesting than some damn RNA virus that won't be significant news in 18-24 or less months. Even so, we'll continue to try not to get it, and we are blessed to have an open nature boardwalk and 5 mile stretches of beaches with no one in sight and a sparse open marina with great security.
Very Best to all of you!
John

Cheers!
John
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. Very interesting results with the hose. Very encouraging.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: