City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
...One thing that I'm really thankful for is our generator. We keep it in the under sink cabinet and when we've needed it, we really needed it! Its also provides a huge sense of security and feeling of self reliance. We like to anchor out and explore the remote barrier islands, and I don't have to worry about running my batteries down. I can fire up our Honda 2000, and charge everything back up, and our cell phones too. The 1000 watt would have been fine for the boat, but we also use it as an emergency generator at home for storms too. Best $900 I've ever spent for the boat. ... .

I have a Honda 1000. It is only necessary for 120 vac when at anchor (to run an AC unit). I found that running the boat motor is much better at charging the batteries than the generator. I can get around 25 amps into the battery from the motor. I have dual batteries (one house, one start). Normally only one battery is used, the other is saved for engine starting. It's been awhile since I've carried the generator onboard.

In normal use when anchored out (even with the refrigerator running on DC) If necessary I just run the boat motor for about 20-30 minutes before bed at about 1000 rpm to charge up the battery for the night. Having a battery monitor is useful if you live off the batteries routinely.

One advantage of two swim steps is you can put the generator on one and still be able to get on/off the boat using the other.
little wing

City/Region: Oakland
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Toots
Photos: Toots
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st: VHF w/DSC. If something happens to you and you are incapacitated, does your crew know how to operate the boat and get you to help and/or safety? It gives me great peace of mind knowing that when I stroke out or fall overboard, my wife merely needs to lift that little lid, push the red button, and help will arrive.

2nd: Binoculars.

3rd: Chart plotter. It does not need to be costly. Do you have a tablet and/or smart phone? For $15, Navionics is a great deal. Covers all of US and Canada. Add the cost of a RAM mount to put it where you want it.

4th: Sonar. We usually anchor out every night. That fish finder will tell you what's under you (rocks, weeds, logs, etc) as well as how much rode to let out.

Radar: So far it seems to be more of a distraction as I pay too much attention to it trying to learn the ins and outs of its operation that I ignore my surroundings. However, in the first and only summer of use, there was a trip on the St Clair river, frequented by lake freighters, when it downpoured. Couldn't see squat. I was glad to have it then. As I did another time in a remote part of the North Channel when we were fogged in one morning. However, that time we sat on the hook until it cleared. Maybe the best use so far is to see what's coming up behind you, especially running narrow passages. I don't like close in surprise passings.
ssobol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

little wing wrote:
... However, in the first and only summer of use, there was a trip on the St Clair river, frequented by lake freighters, when it downpoured. Couldn't see squat. I was glad to have it then... .

In my neck of the woods summer downpours are intense but don't last very long. Last time I was caught in one, I just cut the motor and drifted until the downpour ended (about 20 minutes). There was another boat out there with me who did the same thing. Even then, visibility was still about 100 yds. Since I was in shallow water (~4 ft) I was not worried about some big boat coming through that I couldn't see.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since I was in shallow water (~4 ft) I was not worried about some big boat coming through that I couldn't see.

It's not always so much the big boats I'm worried about, but the yahoos in the fast fishing boats or speed boats that worry me!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really heavy downpours and even "White squalls" can produce enough droplet interference, that the radar is very limited in its range. In one case, with very heavy winds, we found a marker at the edge of the channel, and basically put the boat right behind it--to maintain position--radar would have been in-adequate. So consider alternatives, if the radar is obscured by heavy rain, or waves where the tops are blow off regularly.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Snider

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Kestrel Dawn
Photos: Kestrel Dawn
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Yahoo's Reply with quote

I'm with you Colby. It's the careless and drunk small boats that worry me. As it gets warm in Charleston they come out, especially on the weekend. Some intoxicated boater set 3 boats adrift in Shem creek last weekend. It's a popular spot with several restaurants off the harbor, you'll see boats tied 3 or 4 deep. Apparently he was ready to leave and just let the other boats go before the bus boy/?dockhand could get ahold of the short dock-lines. I'd never dock in that manner, no way.

I joined a local boating group on FB and am constantly surprised by the immature comments from those with too much money (and boat) and not enough sense. We'll be running a lot at night, probably the best thing I could do is get a few big deck lights to turn on. It got hairy a few times under sail at night because we don't run a forward facing white light, just a red and green. Not sure if we weren't seen or just passed a little to closely.

I'm trying to keep the boat simple and clean. This has been a great thread. I think eventually a nice multifunction display that can run everything I may want in the future will be a nice upgrade, something like the 9" simrad (Go9 XSE / NSS evo3, can't really figure out the difference) would be the ultimate upgrade along with a nicer VHF.

I bought one of those Westinghouse 2500 generators from Home Depot last year. That's a great idea about using one of the swim platforms for the generator. I'd love to figure out a little AC that was portable and didn't require any holes in the boat, of course we could only use it when anchored.

snobol what ac do you run off the 1,000watt honda? (I was curious because I figured it was lighter and quieter than mine, but actually the noise level is about the same and mine only weighs 10lbs more.) Still interested in your AC unit though, it can be mighty hot here in the summer nights.

Snider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Hardee Reply with quote

Hardee,

Whats the difference in the 506 vs the 605. Warmart has the 605 for $446, there's so many variations its a little confusing. ICOM really needs a "compare" feature on their website, and so does Simrad. Also does either one of them have built in gps (or is that what GNSS is)? Would be nice not to need to mount an antenna.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Icom-M60511-IC-M605-VHF-Marine-Transceiver-with-Integrated-AIS/40629659

hardee wrote:
Hi Brandon, Welcome and Congrats on the new C-Dory. You are going to love it. Yes, upgrade that VHF. Look at the ICOM M-506 with AIS receive. Much the same features as the Standard Horizon EXCEPT it also has a last call 2 minute record feature. Super valuable (IMHO) for monitoring ch 16 especially, unless you have instant recall and fast fingures to take notes.

I too am a total believer in radar, along with (at least) AIS receive capability.

And a hand held VHF is just a good safety feature to have on your pfd.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word about radar: is it "necessary". And my answer is NO.

Before radar, and I remember that, when it was dark, foggy or really raining you couldn't see what was around you. And a lot of ferrys went aground trying to keep to their schedule. So radar came to the civilian market and (mostly) stopped that nonsense.

And now radar has come to the small boat market. In consonance with GPS/chartplotters it allows C-Dorys to safely navigate when there is no visibility.

So, is it necessary? On a C-Dory, you always have a choice: stay where you are or GO. We used to navigate under the visual rules and that kept us out of trouble; we could see or we stayed put. And a few times we got caught out.

We got radar in the early 90's, on a sailboat we were cruising. That let us go when there was no visibility and we got used to that so we still have radar.

But is it a necessity for small boat cruising? No! You always have the alternative to stay put. And invest that $2000 in something else, such as gas. But if you can't see, stay put. Unlike that guy and his buddy who came up from Seattle to Friday Harbour in a dense fog without any visibility; stupidity is still stupidity.

Boris
Snider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts. I went into WM today just to see what they had on display. I really like the small clean look of the Simrad Go7xse. It doesn’t have the ability to add radar anyway. I may just go with it, plus it won’t break the bank.
ssobol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Yahoo's Reply with quote

Snider wrote:
... I bought one of those Westinghouse 2500 generators from Home Depot last year. That's a great idea about using one of the swim platforms for the generator. I'd love to figure out a little AC that was portable and didn't require any holes in the boat, of course we could only use it when anchored.

snobol what ac do you run off the 1,000watt honda? (I was curious because I figured it was lighter and quieter than mine, but actually the noise level is about the same and mine only weighs 10lbs more.) Still interested in your AC unit though, it can be mighty hot here in the summer nights.

The AC unit I got was just whatever the smallest one WalMart was selling at the time. It's a 5000 Btu window unit and cost about $100. It fits in the center window (although I do have to unscrew the support strut). You just need to measure the window opening and find one that fits. An AC unit with mechanical controls is better than ones with digital controls in situations with unsteady power.

The AC unit sits on the floor in the berth area when not in use (by the porta-potti). The only issue is that the AC cannot really be used when moving. It is not really secured (just sits there) and blocks a lot of the view. I glued PVC runners on the bottom of the AC unit to get it to sit better in the window (does not rest directly on the window frame). Plus there are notches in the blocks to help hold it in place.

The generator sits on the swim step on a folding step stool (similar to https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E6MJGSA/ref=asc_df_B00E6MJGSA5413802/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00E6MJGSA&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167121005230&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15459443803918419160&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030753&hvtargid=pla-301994205488) secured with a ratchet strap. The power from the gen just goes into the shore power inlet connector.

I seal the window gaps with pipe insulation. If you look through the C-Brat galleries you will see others who have done similar things for AC on their boats.

We use the AC unit more when in marinas. When anchored out, there is often enough breeze so the AC is not needed. Adding opening ports to the v-berth helps (another very good mod). Also, our boating area is farther north than you.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But is it a necessity for small boat cruising? No! You always have the alternative to stay put. And invest that $2000 in something else, such as gas. But if you can't see, stay put. Unlike that guy and his buddy who came up from Seattle to Friday Harbour in a dense fog without any visibility; stupidity is still stupidity.

I agree with Boris that Radar is not a necessity. Nor is most the electronics we have on our boats. But, most this stuff can increase your safety on the water. I say can, as it's still only as good as the skipper using it. Use this stuff as a tool as opposed to letting it use you! Failing to maintain situational awareness while just trusting your electronics can bite you in the butt! That being said, really if one wants to keep it really simple, and you are just out putzing around on a small familiar lake or stream, you really don't need anything other than the boat. Eventually you might wish you had a compass and then maybe a depth sounder, and then maybe a GPS plotter... Wink

Finally, Boris, while I would not advocate going out in poor visibility, I don't think I'd go as far as saying it's stupidity. There may be a valid reason for having to go out. But the more prudent decision would be to stay in port on bad days. (I'm not sure I advocate stopping and staying put. That may not be the best option if you are out in the middle of somewhere. In which case you better know your sound signals!) Colby
ssobol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would chose a depth sounder over a compass. If you are on a small lake you probably aren't out of sight of the shore. On a river or stream you can only go upstream or downstream and a compass won't be much use.

However, in either case (depending on the water quality) you may not be able to see what is under your boat and a depth sounder can help you out.
Snider

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Two year checkup Reply with quote

Wow time flies. Just finished adding some fans and a chart light today, thought I'd catch up this old thread, where to start.

My handheld GPS bit the bucket not long after this thread so when I pulled into a marina to get breakfast I asked an old friend who works at a large Beneteau dealer to work me up a price for a VHS, plotter and radar and WOW! he quoted me about $100 more than the equipment would have cost me to purchase, and that was installed. The savings was mostly from a "new" used 3G simrad radar they had for a steep discount, so I went ahead and got an ICOM M330, Simrad Goe9 and Simrad 3G radar installed. It's been great, we've been out a lot at night where the radar has been helpful.

We've done a lot of small upgrades, adding the rope handholds in the cabin was great and cheap (thanks Bob).

Added hydraulic steering.

Added an opening window/screen in the cabin door (prob dumb, to expensive but we like it).

Added the fan/light combo in the v-berth and cabin.

I got a larger anchor roller that I need to install so I can use my Delta if I need and if I keep using the Bruce it'll hold the shank up off the deck.

I bought two new batteries and upgraded to Group 27 from 24.

Rebuilt the trailer, added brakes, rewired it, carpeted bunks.

Lots of safety gear, EPIRB, water activated lights for everyone, spare VHF and GPS.

This boat has been a great blank canvas for us, we've enjoyed it immensely and continue too. Of the 24 months we've owned the boat we've been out in 22 of those months. One month it was in the shop another work got in the way. It didn't help that SC closed ramps but we still made it out just before.

Headed out for and an overnighter this weekend with our family of 4 aboard. The kids don't like the cruising as much as me but they sure love the beach combing, swimming and tubing and my son will love fishing when he's a little older.

The upgrade list is getting pretty short, maybe some cockpit lights and a docking light, a fan or two. Would be nice to replace the two aft hatch covers eventually. Add a coupe rod holders.

There have been repairs along the way. I removed the fuel tanks and batteries and rebedded everthing in epoxy, engine repairs and maint not to mention small things here and there. Small price to pay IMO.

Thanks everyone! This site has been great, it's ironic I spent more time here before I got the boat, I need to rectify that and give back more.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as if you really scored on the chart plotter/3G Radar! Certainly well thought out improvements. Great time to be out with the family, and enjoy the spring!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: