The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory Newbie/Buyer Looking for a Test Ride / Sea Trial

View previous topic :: View next topic  
not-on-shore

City/Region: los angeles
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:25 am    Post subject: C-Dory Newbie/Buyer Looking for a Test Ride / Sea Trial Reply with quote

Hi All,
I'm looking for a C-Dory 25 Cruiser. I've never actually been on one so I'm hoping to network with owners before I buy so I can get some firsthand experience before my purchase.

I live in Los Angeles but am willing to travel anywhere within 200 miles to meet up with an owner. I'll buy fuel, the beer, and help with cleaning if enticements help.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet is looking on the Home page for C Dory for sale by owner. I am not aware of any in S. Calif.

It may be difficult (but not impossible) to get a "ride" on one until the Social Distancing issue is resolved...

My son has a 25 "Cruise Ship" in Dana Point, but not available for rides at this point. You can do a search by location on the "Member list" or "our C Dory list". Also there is a C Brat map.

Good hunting. The boats are good for offshore Islands, early in the day before the wind kicks up. Also OK going down wind/seas later in day. But you will not have a comfortable ride between San Pedro and Two Harbors in the late afternoon on most days.

Do you have a vehicle to tow the boat and a place to store? San Pedro, Long Beach, Huntington Harbor, and Marina Del Rey are the launching ramps available. Not sure what is going to happen in King Harbor.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
not-on-shore

City/Region: los angeles
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback on where to look on this site.

Yeah, I've experienced how the afternoon weather can make for a rough trip. From what I understand that'll be the case in almost any smaller boat, just more pronounced in a C-Dory 25 with its low deadrise hull, versus a similar sized deep V hull.

I have a mid size SUV (a real SUV with a truck frame and proper tow package) but I'm not sure if I will be able to store the boat at my place. I may keep her in a slip about half the year and then figure out where to store her later.

I'll probably keep her in a slip in Long Beach so I can have a hangout on the coast to overnight when LA is too warm or I want to get out of town for a bit.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to check out the situation on slips. At times the waiting list in Long Beach has been many years. Also the more recent modifications of the marina emphasized larger vessels. It would be unusual to find a "seasonal" slip in that area.

One area you might consider would be Sunset Aquatic at Huntington Harbor. There is storage and a ramp--I believe that there is one up in LA/ San Pedro also where there is a hoist and storage.

The older Ford Excursions 3/4 ton, and 3/4 ton Suburbans are suitable. I had owed my and my son's 25 with a 2012 Yukon XL with HD tow package--same as the 1/2 ton Suburban. We had transmission overheat going over the grapevine. But most of the newer full sized truck framed SUVS can tow the 8,000# (plus or minus)

There has been a C Dory gathering at two harbors for a number of years. One advantage of the 25, was (? IS) suitable for the "string line". Close together mooring, Now $38 a night. But easier to get a mooring. Anchoring has become more difficult with time, Now have to be 100 yards outside mooring area...100' plus depth?--not a lot of places--Rippers used to be one we used regularly. The concessionaire at Two Harbors has tried to make it more of a high end resort, with reservations for the palapas which used to be public areas with picnic tables etc.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a seasonal slip in San Pedro a couple of summers ago, in Cabrillo Marina. I found out that you don't mention you only want it for a few months. And decide when you want to leave and than give them the required months notice (at the right time.)

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: