The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/03 - 03/05 - Hontoon Island CBGT Deland, Florida
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick, Sure glad you are home and not having to figure out how to get together with your boat in a month or something. Hey, the CG chopper ride can be fun, but you really don't want to do it that way. Stay safe and healthy and enjoy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hontoon Island CBGT roundup.....
Thank you for the kind remarks about our “Hontoon Hoot”. With a diverse group such as ours it’s remarkable how well everyone gets along famously! Never is there a shortage of volunteers ready to help with tasks at hand. It doesn’t mater if it’s grilling, docking, setup, cleanup or the many other tasks, they are always done with a smile. 😁

We all certainly learned some lessons from Dr. Bob about anchoring and Colby did not loose anyone on the guided tours. The Clow auction raised hundreds of dollars for the park. Thanks for the donations and the bidders. In total, we have $2000 in donations (a new record) for a new shelter building in the parking lot for guests waiting for the ferry. Many of the attendees used the volunteers laundry that we helped fund last year. Yes ...it’s reserved for volunteers and C-BRATS.

The park is open and operating with reduced hours at this time. We would have had to cancel the event if it was scheduled for this week. All group activity at Florida state parks are suspended for the time being. Yet...last Saturday was one of the biggest attendance days ever. Go figure.

The after gathering trip was very relaxing. Started out with about 10 boats and had 4 left this morning. Colby and Dr. Bob are still on the St. John’s so it’s not over yet. We made it to the springs, the Ocklawaha, Welaka, Crescent Lake, Velousia Bar Marina. Nobody ran out of toilet paper.

So....it’s time to clean up the C-Otter and put the left over supplies away till next year. The memories of the gathering fill my mind and heart. New friends and old friends.....That’s what this gathering is about!

Till next time ...Tom

PS... Patrick...glad you were not out on the gulf. Makes me think about my trips to Lake Superior where help is not nearby. We are all in God’s hands.

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back at Hontoon, getting the boat ready to pull out in a few hours. The last three weeks have been great. Wondering what we're getting into as we become land dwellers again. The end (of the St. John's C-Brat gathering 2020). Very Happy
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are Back at Hontoon, just bided "see you soon" to Colby and Roxanne! We will stay on the water another day or two at Shell Creek.

We enjoyed the evening and day with Midnight Flyer at Deep Creek yesterday. Always a nice run. We saw first flamingo's here (Have seen them further South in the past), I made the mistake of not photographing them when we first saw them--could not find the flamingo's today.

The park will not allow overnighting of boats or campers after Wednesday night--I believe this is until April 15--and may be extended. Open during the normal daylight hours currently...For some reason they had to use the "new" dual 50 hp Yamaha powered pontoon boat to ferry some folks today??

Now if we can just get 75 gallons of diesel to fill up the truck's tank and get home...never know what will close down next!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sort of a negative to our last day on the cruise. We had gone all of the way to the head of "Shell Creek" to find an anchorage for the night--but no place to take the dog ashore. The trip was beautiful, and we saw, and photographed a lot of birds.

Came back to Hontoon, where we were told that Thursday was the last night boats could say over night by a ranger yesterday. I went to check in, and the assistant ranger said they were closed. I asked if I could make a donation to the park. The assistant ranger (who said he was the only one there) had to consult Renee. Well, Renee magically appeared, and said that all boats had to be off the dock tonight. No overnight stays. He was making a great concession by allowing us to stay until 6 PM! Then I find out that people who had made reservations were allowed to stay until Friday! So "Tallahassee" trumps the
"head ranger's" decisions. I understand now why volunteers are leaving after many years of service to this park.

I will be writing this up to go to the superintendent of the Park Department.

We will stay as long as possible, then anchor on Dead River, and come back to walk Angel in the AM.

Still a beautiful place.
WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

We will stay as long as possible, then anchor on Dead River, and come back to walk Angel in the AM.

Still a beautiful place.

Is there not a trail accessible from the Dead River?

thataway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WeekiTiki wrote:
thataway wrote:

Still a beautiful place.

Is there not a trail accessible from the Dead River?

There are several landing spots, but we had deflated the dinghy in preparation for haul out the next AM. I don't go bow to the beach, in the dark, and expect Marie to jump off the foredeck with the dog in hand, onto unknown surfaces. We do carry an extending ladder, but not planing on using bow to the beach, it was left in the truck.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While some folks have already uploaded some great photos to the threads photo album, I just uploaded another few pages worth. All these photos will give one a good look at this great gathering and the wildlife and scenery along the St. John's River!

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Hontoon-Island%2C-Florida-2020&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=1
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,
Some nice photos: Thanks!

I'll take credit for the bird photos on pages 4 and 5...plus a few other photos Smile

I also have a lot of photos which I didn't upload, but if anyone wants one of mine that they want to enlarge or print, my files are fairly large and I can send an SD card or Thumb Drive...
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great shots Bob with that telephoto lens you had! Already looking forward to next year's gathering! The gathering time also seems to go by too fast! Especially this year with all the virus stuff going on now.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good photo collection. Thanks for sharing those, and now I have an idea what I missed. Hope to see you all next time around.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to thank everyone again for their generous donations to Hontoon Island state park to get the shelter project started. I'm not sure when they will get it started at this time but I'll keep everyone informed. What I am certain about is that C-Brat's are the greatest! Stay safe and Lord willing we can meet up again next year on the St. Johns River in Florida.

We have cleaned and waxed the C-Otter in preparation to go north in June to Wisconsin and Michigan's Isle Royal National Park. Not sure this will happen as the situation is ever changing. Our other option is to take the boat out on the St. John's and "distance" ourselves out there with the birds, alligators and frogs. Most of the boat ramps are still open here and I do not have to make contact with anyone on the water. Distancing is key.

Till next time ....Tom
cdory25

City/Region: Flagler Beach
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Shoal Mates
Photos: Blues Cruiser
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Sorry we missed it Reply with quote

Well we missed it again. Right in our back yard too. Believe it or not I'm still working all the bugs out of the 23 Venture we bought. Ain't boating fun! Next year....
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, wrong thread....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: