The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2020 FRIDAY Harbor CBGT, move to Sept 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Sounds like you are going to be on the water. Enjoy. Hope it is all good for you and hope we get to cross wakes somewhere out there. You are nearly a neighbor, and there is plenty of good cruising area not that far away.

Stay safe,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this back up. Could feel like I am beating a dead horse here but really just wanting to take the pulse of the pub. WE have about a week until the WA Stay Home/Stay Healthy plan in WA will be updated, extended, modified, or dropped. My crystal ball is all foggy so just checking in to see what condition our community is in. (Yes, shades of Kenny Note Rose )

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, we hope for the best with the event to take place as planned and as scheduled. I Looked at the King County Confirmed Cases Reported stats for the last week on-line and they are as follows: 4/15/20, 4676 Cases; 4/18/20, 4865 Cases (up 89); 4/21/20, 5360 Cases (up 95); 4/24/20 5532 Cases (up 72).

Our favorite local Port for boating in Oregon is Newport. It is closed for recreational boating. Our boat is parked at the moment like for many other boaters. If our government officials deem that it is safe to gather together again at the docks we will be there at the May FHCBGT. I may be wearing a N95 mask but will do so gratefully.

Let's keep optimistic. Gary.
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,
Just dropped in, and yeah, yeah, oh-yeah if the governor lifts the order that permits us to have the event instead of no with big black letters on a dead end sign, I will get my foot on the gas and head up to I'll be there and if we have the event I'll feel 8 miles high.

But will still be doing social distancing...

- Steve
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,
We were well on our way to have everything come together to make the trip up there before the shutdown. Now we don't know what we are doing. If FH is able to happen, we would probably re-work our plans and try to make it up.

Steve
Missynme

City/Region: Snohomish
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Missy
Photos: Missy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,
We plan on all three. We have a slip at Friday Harbor so no need to make reservations for us. Excited to get back to the San Juan Islands again.
Roger
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be more on this later, but for now, I have to admit to being rather conflicted. The Governor has opened up some things, Out door recreation is one, so, parks in the daytime, and recreational fishing, are on the list. (Also, hunting and golf.) In nearly the same sentence he says that the virus is still rampant, and team sports, public gatherings and camping are not included.

Personally, my thoughts on looking at the virus reports and predictions, and the "curves", I think he is bending to public pressure and not following the science. I know there will be some who disagree and think we have been locked up too long, and our precious supplies are being withheld due to short supply, (everything from bread and beans to TP, hand wipes and disinfectant.) Anybody here remember 4 years of war rations, blackout blinds and curfews. Not that I do either, but, our nation did that for 4 years. Our current generations can't handle 2 months without going off the rails.

I have not checked with Friday Harbor Port yet, but San Juan county and Grays Harbor county are actively advertising for "No Visitors Now". I will be doing a ton of checking in the next few days, and I am open to any input anyone wants to add here.

Thanks to all for your patience and again, stay safe.

I'm standing by my initial announcement that the official announcement will be on May 4.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Out door recreation is one, so, parks in the daytime, and recreational fishing, are on the list.

Note that shrimping is specifically excluded. Shrimp season normally opens in the first half of May, so that's close. I don't know why shrimping was excluded, but if I had to guess it would be that the shrimp season is so short in many places that it is quite common to have a bzillion boats being launched in a very short period of time. So my guess is that they are worried that social distancing is particularly problematical for the shrimp season.

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="smckean (Tosca)"]
Quote:
I don't know why shrimping was excluded, but if I had to guess it would be that the shrimp season is so short in many places that it is quite common to have a bzillion boats being launched in a very short period of time. So my guess is that they are worried that social distancing is particularly problematical for the shrimp season.

Your point about shrimping and a "bazillion" boats is probably right on, but what I don't understand is that ALL shellfish gathering is closed. There is not any reason I can think of why clamming should not be allowed, digging clams around here is by necessity done with "social distancing." Same for oyster picking.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Pat Anderson"]
smckean (Tosca) wrote:
Quote:
I don't know why shrimping was excluded, but if I had to guess it would be that the shrimp season is so short in many places that it is quite common to have a bzillion boats being launched in a very short period of time. So my guess is that they are worried that social distancing is particularly problematical for the shrimp season.

Your point about shrimping and a "bazillion" boats is probably right on, but what I don't understand is that ALL shellfish gathering is closed. There is not any reason I can think of why clamming should not be allowed, digging clams around here is by necessity done with "social distancing." Same for oyster picking.

Out on the coast, clamming (when it's open) is crazy busy. Thousands drive out to Long Beach, Mocrocks etc when clamming is open there. So I understand why some clamming isn't open. Ditto for the very few halibut days we have each year. Thousands traveling to the coast, ramps and fish cutting tables packed etc.

As for canceling the FH gathering - as I told Harvey via PM, I don't believe we really have an option. The San Juan County Health Officer has extended his order has extended his order limiting transient accommodations, camping, and access to playgrounds from May 4th until May 31st. Travel to port and Marina properties for other than essential business is prohibited under this order.

hardee

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have been paying any attention to almost anything in the news recently you are probably aware that the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo and the Oktoberfest in Germany have both been cancelled. Closer to home, the Race to Alaska #6, (June 2020) and Fourth of July in many of the PNW favorite places has also been cancelled. Even closer to home for many of us, and of considerably more import, the marina at Friday Harbor is closed to transient boaters, (that would be most all of the C-BRAT society), until the end of May.

Here is a portion of the edict found at this link:
https://www.sanjuanco.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=899

Quote:
“Concurring with an April 29, 2020 decision by the San Juan County Board of Health, San Juan County Health Officer Dr. Frank James has extended his order limiting transient accommodations, camping, and access to playgrounds from May 4th until May 31st.This decision is intended to align with Governor Inslee’s May 1st announcement that as part of his phased approach to reopening, he will extend his “Stay Home Stay Healthy” order until May 31st.”

Ouch! So in accordance with the powers that be, and also going with the wisdom of the selected C-BRAT committee majority vote, The May 14 to 17, 2020 FH-CBGT is officially cancelled. I’m Sorry.

Personally, I have to agree that it is much too soon to be congregating. C-BRATS on the dock, would probably officially be camping, (albeit on a boat), and moorage at state parks docks, or even on the moorage balls at this point is still officially off limits. The current Covid-19 counts are horrendous, (the highest positives and deaths per the last 24 hours nationally so far). So, for now, “Stay Home and Stay Healthy” is the best practice. If you have to be out, be VERY careful – mask, gloves and responsible distance (and from a Respiratory Therapists point of view), 6 feet is just half of the safe distance. I really hope to see you all at the 2020-2021 FH-CBGT. And maybe on the water later, maybe way later on, this year.

Here is the link to the May 2020, FH-CBGT thread:
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=28075

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

hardee

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are heading our for "Opening Weekend" here is a link to the list of State Parks that are open. NOTE that these are for day use only.

https://parks.state.wa.us/1181/Parks-opening

With the weekend weather predicted to make 80 yes Eight Zero degrees for much of the Puget sound area this weekend I would expect there to be a fairly heavy pressure at the ramps, docks, and parks.

Here is a link to current charts and predictions that show where we are now, either the country as a whole or state by state. These stats are compiled by
Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, University of Washington, Seattle WA

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Please stay safe, and stay protected. WE ARE NOT PAST THIS YET !!

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

timflan

City/Region: Seattle
Vessel Name: Two Lucky Fish +1
Photos: Two Lucky Fish
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this whole pandemic thing has been kind of distracting. My calendar alerted me that it's C-Brats Friday Harbor weekend, so I thought I better check up.

So...SEPTEMBER, eh? Very well. Good decision.

Might take Two Lucky Fish +1 out this weekend, to get some new scenery and run the engine. Thinking of you folks.

Oh, by the way, with most of the Highland Games events cancelled this summer (including the Pipe Band World Championships in Glasgow, at which we were to compete), I'm thinking THIS summer might be the summer for a more ambitious trip. Up Vancouver Island? Down the Snake/Columbia? Depends on the border, I guess.

RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m now reading several reports that the Canadian/US border will probably not reopen until late June, maybe after June 21. Nothing official announced as yet, but news reports appear to indicate this will likely be the decision.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobMcClain wrote:
I’m now reading several reports that the Canadian/US border will probably not reopen until late June, maybe after June 21. Nothing official announced as yet, but news reports appear to indicate this will likely be the decision.

From what I have been hearing form both sides of the border, it is likely not to be open before the end of June and could extend well past that. Can't say I blame the BC folk for not wanting US up there. Seems we carry a much higher virus load being from so far south Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: