View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazy4salmon

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Therapy
Photos: C-Therapy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Garage/Shop door height? Reply with quote

Looking to build my final home, I hope? Will be living area on the second floor and car and boat storage below. Could anyone tell me what would be the best height for the garage door, to back a 22' to 25' C-dory under?

Still struggling with the model I want to purchase, but since I pretty much fish alone and may be trailering to Vancouver Island to fish from time to time. May be best to go with the 22' Angler? If my wife gets into boating more that our kids are grown, 25 may be better but she isn't into fishing. Ugh 23' Venture. What to do, what to do.

Anyway, let's start with storage 10, 12 or 14' door?

Thanks for any info. Stay healthy and safe.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 12 foot door fits lots of things really well - lots of motor homes and lots of boats. The 22 or 25 will fit in a 12 foot door with room to spare without radar arches. My 22 fits in a 10 foot door with enough room for kayaks on the roof, but not with the radar in the up position. A 14 foot door is going to fit just about everything you can tow without a fly bridge.
Standas

City/Region: Poulsbo
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C -Time
Photos: C -Time
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 22’ cruiser. To the top of the grab rails on the roof Is 7’11” to the top of the radar is 9’4”. We have a 12’ garage door it fits our boat or truck camper nicely. I did have to install a swing tongue on the trailer for length.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, and I had the room, I'd go with a 14' door. Just about anything you buy (RV or Boat) will fit under it. Otherwise, I could put my 22 with a radar mounted on the roof under a 10' door.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
A 12 foot door fits lots of things really well - lots of motor homes and lots of boats. The 22 or 25 will fit in a 12 foot door with room to spare without radar arches. My 22 fits in a 10 foot door with enough room for kayaks on the roof, but not with the radar in the up position. A 14 foot door is going to fit just about everything you can tow without a fly bridge.

I need a 12' for the JMR-TOO 25' W radar on arch Wink Thumbs Up
crazy4salmon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like I will shoot for a 12' door. Would like to do a 14, but height restrictions may put an end to that. Glad to hear a 10 footer would work in a pinch, may have to watch out for radar? Want 12 foot ceilings in the garage, minimum. Then I can stand in the back of the boat and not rip my head open on floor joists. I have a 24' Robalo right now and I am tired of the fuel bill (better now), and have turned into a fair weather fisherman. Just no fun in the slop anymore. I will give it a tape measure when I put it on the trailer. When they unchain the boat ramp??? Ugh. Thanks again. Cant wait to be a part of the C-dory family. Hoping in the next 12 months.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are even considering a 25 then you want to go with a 12 high for a minimum. And it would not be impossible to go with a 13 if you can't do 14. there are ways to get that extra foot in you start early enough. Depending on your approach, you may also want consider the door width. (I back around a 90 degree turn into a 10 foot wide door that is back from the street by only 14 feet. That is tight. It would be really easy if that door was 12 (or 14) wide. If you are looking at building, this would be the time to make your life easier.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tow Journey On, a 25 with a radar arch and radar on top. Also, it sits on an E-Z Loader roller trailer, which means that it sits higher when it's loaded on. And that loaded trailer is 8' 6' wide, per law; though I've never been stopped.

When I get gas at the station, the loaded boat fits nicely under the 11' canopy. Been in several hundred of those suckers, never hit yet. One can go look at one in any gas station, the height is stenciled on the side.

So a 12' high door is perfectly adequate, gives clearance. And I back the boat trailer on a curve, downhill into a 10' wide ramp. The anti-lock brakes do work. I did paint a stripe down the driveway, across the apron and down the slab.

So, whilest one can figure out how to fit in a higher door, 12' is more than adequate for a 25. And 10' is adequate for the width, just paint a stripe on the driveway, showing the correct trailer path. Follow that stripe; every time I don't I get into problems

Boris
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Tomcat on the trailer sits a little higher than 25 on a trailer. With the radar, it's 12'3" to the top of the radar which is mounted on a stand. It would be taller if my radar was on top of a radar arch. If you do plan to put radar on the 25 (and I would recommend that if you plan to boat on any ocean or large body of water), you can get a radar arch that folds down to help. Of course you then have to remember to fold it down before pulling into the garage. 14' is the height of the door to the storage space where I keep the boat over the winter and it's really nice to have that margin.
crazy4salmon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, all awesome advice. What a great forum. Yes I will be building so I will shoot for 12' minimum. Just think a 14' would look a little odd on the house. I do have a wife, So? I will definitely have radar and will look into a collapsible arch. Poured concrete for 30+ years, so I will cut an expansion joint in the concrete for the trailer to follow. No paint. Wink Thanks for the great info. 10 wide by 12 high, minimum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: