View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Just looking for some information Reply with quote

I've finally decided (for now anyway) to consider upgrading to the 25. I'm looking at one boat that is not listed on C-brats but has spent time on Jackson Lake. Anyone that frequents that lake familiar with a 2008 blue and white CD-25 and know any information about it. It's also listed with a Garmin Autopilot for it's 15hp Honda Kicker. Can anyone share with me how a setup like this works? The boat also has a lake water intake that runs thru the potable water plumbing to the fresh water washdown, sink and shower. Anyone see this before? And how hard would it be to change out the plumbing to keep lake water separate from potable water? Thanks in advance. Colby
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have never seen a raw water intake that mixes with onboard fresh water and then is associated with the washdown. I would defiantly get some clarification on that. Every washdown system I’ve seen has its own pump and runs separately, either pulls directly from onboard freshwater tank or pulls from a sea cock or through hole for raw water. Hopefully whatever the boat has a sea cock is part of the equation.
The Garmin autopilot is most likely run from a remote and only allows steerage of the kicker, without knowing the model it’s impossible to tell what kind of control interface it has.
Make sure a look close at all the bulkheads for cracking inside the cabin.

Good luck on the upgrade.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an outboard trolling motor auto pilot company which was acquired by Garmin: the TR !. The current version ("Gold") could be different than what is on that boat.

Manual for Garmin TR 1 Gold.

If there is a manifold (two way valve) which connects the freshwater pump intake to either the lake/raw water or water tank, it could be removed, and then a second "Raw water pump" could be added, the fresh water pump connected only to the water tank, and the entire system sanitized. Good to go.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If there is a manifold (two way valve) which connects the freshwater pump intake to either the lake/raw water or water tank, it could be removed, and then a second "Raw water pump" could be added, the fresh water pump connected only to the water tank, and the entire system sanitized. Good to go

I suspect this may be the case, since it appears from the boat's description that all points of water have the option of lake or potable.

BTW, regarding your Hot Water system under your sink, does that also provide hot water to your shower?

And how accessible is the water plumbing on a 25 if one wanted to run separate water lines to a separate spigot at the cabin sink and wash down from the lake water intake? (I would envision an ideal system where the lake water was only used for wash down and perhaps a spigot at the sink for rinsing dishes. Otherwise all sink and shower water would be from the boat's potable system.
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:

BTW, regarding your Hot Water system under your sink, does that also provide hot water to your shower?

And how accessible is the water plumbing on a 25 if one wanted to run separate water lines to a separate spigot at the cabin sink and wash down from the lake water intake? (I would envision an ideal system where the lake water was only used for wash down and perhaps a spigot at the sink for rinsing dishes. Otherwise all sink and shower water would be from the boat's potable system.

For those who have not followed: we removed the 6 gallon water heater which was under the aft dinette seat, and installed a fast heat 2.5 gallon Bosch water heater under the galley counter, and behind the plumbing to the galley faucets:
See photo below, water heater on left: taken after this area was loaded for our 3 week trip to the St. John's river--too much "stuff" in front.

Yes, the hot water heater under the sink, is about 3' away from the shower. I have a mixing valve, so that the water from one spigot is a constant shower temperature of your choice (ie 120*), the other faucet gives only cold water thru the shower.

For some reason C Dory ran duplicate hoses from the water pump near the water t ank to the water heater, instead of "T" off from a single hose under the cabin steps or hanging locker. So there is already a separate hose from near the water pump into the cabin. That hose, along with the extra hose from the water heater to the sink is plenty to bring to a separate raw water faucet at the sink.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've exhausted questions and answers with the broker of the 2008 25 I'm looking at. So a few I'll throw out here to see if anyone has any experience.

1. The boat currently has a 2016 Honda 200 hp 4-stroke outboard and a 2009 Honda 15 hp 4-stroke Power Thrust, electric start, Power Tilt outboard motor w/Garmin Auto Pilot. Also on the stern of the boat is a Yamaha 2000 W generator mounted on what looks to be fabricated from a mini-jacker bracket. Knowing the Honda weighs another 100 lbs heavier than it's competition, does anyone else have this engine on their 25, and find the additional weight a disadvantage. Or believe the combined weight of the outboard, kicker and generator too much?

2. Trailer description is this: 2007 EZ Loader galvanized 2-axle trailer w/electric brakes, side guides & spare tire (new $5k axles in 2016)

I'm assuming this means they added 5000 lb axles. Broker was unable to provide me with GVWR/GCWR of trailer nor did he answer what tire size. Those with 25's, see any problems with this? I've never changed out axles on a trailer, but assume if it's done correctly it should be fine. However, would the trailer itself need to be beefed up? (I'll put in a question to EZ Loader as well.

3. Anyone in the Salt Lake City area that would be willing to look at this boat for me, before I decide to drive out to look at it myself?

Thanks. Colby
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Bosch water heater was easily connected to the galley, head sink and shower.
1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally like branded axles of 3,500 lbs. and 5,000 lbs, can be swapped out. There should be a larger hub/with the ability to mount heavier duty tires: for example 15" x 6 lugs GoodYear Endurance ST225/75R15 are rated to carry from 1340# @ 25 PSI up to 2830@ 80 PSI. I run my tires at 55 PSI and rated for 2270 per tire at up to 87 mph...plenty of "attitude" since the tires will carry about 9,000 lbs.

The worry is the size of the frame of the rest of the trailer. The difference between the 7200 lb trailers and 8500 lb trailers is substantial in the frame components. I can go out and measure my aluminum beams and the pole tongue if that would help. But my trailer is a Load Rite--and is a common C Dory 25 trailer--target bunks set up correctly make loading easy.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. At this time frame dimensions wouldn't help any. I think in the end, I need to make a run out to SLC to see the boat in person. Just perhaps not the best time to do so with all the virus restrictions... There is also a 25 in Pensacola pending sale. It has a Suzy 175 on it, but color scheme of gray and white doesn't exactly thrill me. Although I could live with it on the right boat... Also a new radar arch, which at one time I would have liked, but now days prefer not. But I'm sure that's easily removed. Yeah, I've got the 25 buying bug now... We'll see what happens. In the mean time, Midnight Flyer is finally fixed up the way I like it! Confused Colby
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you catch that bug? Very Happy
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In less than 3 years, Colby will be 'just looking for some information' on a TomCat 255.

In 9 months, the Labor and Delivery wards will all be full and GM won't be able to manufacture bassinets fast enough to meet demand.

The most popular name for newborn boys and girls will be 'Corona', and for a number of little trans babies as well.

You read it here first!
John

colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bug was friendly cohorts that managed to get my wife aboard their 25 before I could catch her. Mr. Green And spending some time on a few myself. Rolling Eyes However, if I fail to find one in the appropriate amount of time, I may change my mind again, with Midnight Flyer being finally set up the way I like it! Tomcat? Nah. It's towability characteristics with my high annual mileage and its few advantages over a 25 probably won't come to fruit. Razz I do agree with your other two predictions though, John! Wink Colby
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In 9 months, the Labor and Delivery wards will all be full and GM won't be able to manufacture bassinets fast enough to meet demand.

Most of these children born starting in nine months will be born to Millenial's. Then in 2033 this new generation will be renamed the "Quaranteens's".

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,

We would go look, but we just spent 3 months in Mexico and are on home quarantine for another week. SLC and SL County are both shut down by order of the Mayors.

PM jkidd, Voyager. He is in the area and may be able to go look for you.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brent. I think if I'm still interested in this boat at the end of April, I'll take a road trip out. But I'm still open to anyone in the area looking at it for me if one is inclined or has the time.

So I did query EZ Loader about axle change outs on their trailer. I'll post their answer below, as I know some here have, or have contemplated changing axles on their trailers.

"I would be very cautious about purchasing a trailer that had axles added to it. We do not recommend any modifications to our trailers from the original engineered plans. Adding axles can create an imbalance of proper tongue weight and cause severe safety issues while towing. In addition you are correct as you cannot just change axles to increase carrying capacity. The entire trailer was engineered to a specific carrying capacity. Adding axles does not increase the capacity the frame and other component are engineered to.

Sincerely,
Geoff Chamness
Sales Manager
EZ Loader Boat Trailers
800-398-5623 ext. 2748
Direct 509-484-2748
Cell 509-220-6003
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: