The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Recent WA restrictions - do they affect boat ramps?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stearmandriver2

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Notayot
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Recent WA restrictions - do they affect boat ramps? Reply with quote

Anyone have any gouge as to whether the recent state and county restrictions on "water access" closes boat ramps? I'm in Port Orchard send usually use that ramp but could travel a reasonable distance for an open ramp if necessary.

Please note, I'm not trying to subvert the intent of the "shelter in place" (I'm probably more of a disease vector than anyone, given that I'm an airline pilot by day). It's just that I'm going to have some time off, and the water seems like a reasonable place to isolate. I'd like to know if I can splash the boat without running afoul of anything...
Teufelshunde

City/Region: Sebastopol
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Fish Wisher
Photos: Fishwisher
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in California they closed all parks and that includes the boat ramps that I use to go fishing/boating.(ocean and lakes).
I took the boat out last weekend and there was only three other trucks with boat trailers in the parking lot so it seemed at the time people were practicing safe distancing. Upon my return from a nice day on the water there were about 75 cars (without boats) and about 5 Motorhome’s parked in the parking lot and they were utilizing the picnic tables on the shoreline for family gatherings and parties all too close together.
The state parks here in California made it free to go to the beach so that they did not have to staff the pay booths to protect their workers during this outbreak and people from all over rushed to the coast.
On my return home at around 3:00 I had never seen a line of cars so long headed to the beaches and figured they would shut it down and a few days later they did.
Salmon season starts here on April 11th so I’m hopeful that the virus gets under control or the state figures out how to limit the number of people visiting their parks so that boaters can go fishing or cruising with their families and people without boats can enjoy the beach while practicing safe distancing.

Teufelshunde

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this information below on my county’s web site where the beaches are. Maybe you will be able to look up the information on your beaches county web...

Effective at 12:00 a.m. on March 24, 2020, and remaining in effect until this order is rescinded, amended, or superseded in writing by the Health Officer, all parks located within Sonoma County shall be closed to the public.
“Park” means an area of land, beach or water open to the public for recreation, including walking, hiking, biking, relaxing, boating, and playing, regardless of ownership.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check with the local ramp governing entity (city, county etc) re; launch, parking etc. But I can tell you that I don't believe LE is going to give a rat's a** about your boating plans. We have much, much bigger priorities to deal with...
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Mark that you don't seem to consider that folks might actually choose to follow these restrictions simply because it's the right thing to do for the community. (.....an occupational hazard I assume).
davidJ

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: E-Z Rider
Photos: davidJ
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to WDFD web site all recreational fishing in Washington state is closed.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
Interesting Mark that you don't seem to consider that folks might actually choose to follow these restrictions simply because it's the right thing to do for the community. (.....an occupational hazard I assume).

What, exactly, would he be violating? The restriction to "hunker down"? As noted, he will be on a boat, out on the water...kinda takes "social distancing" to a new level. He asked a question. I provided some input. Period. Where did I say or infer that people will not chose to do anything because it's the "right thing"?
Teufelshunde

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
smckean (Tosca) wrote:

What, exactly, would he be violating? The restriction to "hunker down"? As noted, he will be on a boat, out on the water...kinda takes "social distancing" to a new level. He asked a question. I provided some input. Period. Where did I say or infer that people will not chose to do anything because it's the "right thing"?

Agreed!!, Can’t get more isolated than being on your boat and for me it was a well needed break.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all of WA state parks and WDFW managed facilities are closed. County, city and private, who knows, check their web site or call. I just checked on the Port of Ridgefield ramp here on the Columbia and it was business as usual.
As mentioned WDFG shut down all recreational fishing in the state, OR just shut down salmon & steelhead fishing on the Columbia. That overpriced OR out of state license is looking is looking more reasonable.
good luck

Standas

City/Region: Poulsbo
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: C -Time
Photos: C -Time
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might check Salisbury boat ramp next to the Hood canal bridge. The docks are pulled for the winter so I would try to launch at slack tide. The playground was taped off but nothing across the boat ramp. I would call Kitsap county parks department.
KevinDU

City/Region: Terrace
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Sea Otter
Photos: Sea Otter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone contemplates driving up to Prince Rupert, BC, the boat launch in Prince Rupert is closed due to Covid-19, same situation at MK Bay Marina in Kitimat (no launching of boats, parking lot is closed). Also, there are no fuel sales in Hartley Bay.
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame that some ramps are being closed down, and seems a bit short sighted as there are a lot of people who live on islands in WA state and commuting via boat is just as essential the roads and highways are for us land lubbers.

That said, here's a quick list of NON- state park / DNR / WDFW launching facilities I have checked, based on current COVID19 status statements on their websites as of today. Starting at the top of the state and working around the sound clockwise, with links so you can check back occasionally for updates:
- Blaine (port of Bellingham) - OPEN
- Bellingham (Squalicum and Fairhaven)- OPEN
- Anacortes, Cap Sante (Sling Launch/Fuel Dock) - OPEN
- Anacortes, Twin Bridges (private, but many C-Brats) - OPEN
- Anacortes, Washington Park - Currently OPEN, "but subject to change"
- Everett - Half of ramps are closed, half are open but limited to essential activities such as Hat Island residents. Reserves right to completely close ramps if they observe abuse of policy.
- Mukilteo - Lighthouse Park is CLOSED
- Edmonds - Fuel dock, Dry stack, and Public Sling Launch - CLOSED
- Shilshole (City of Seattle) - Parks page says boat launches are OPEN, although same site says parking lots are closed?
- Alki (city of Seattle) - same as above - OPEN?
- Redondo (City of Desmoines) - Fuel dock OPEN, no info on ramp, assume the same.
- Point Defiance (City of Tacoma) - Ramp is OPEN, lift is CLOSED
-Swantown (Port of Olympia) - Fuel dock OPEN, but no info on ramp.
- Port of Grapeview ramp (Fair Harbor area) - No information
- Port of Allyn ramp - No information
- Pierce County ramps (various) - No info indicating they are closed.
- Pomeroy Park (manchester) - OPEN
- Port Orchard (City of Port Orchard) - unclear - Parks are closed, no mention of ramp
- Evergreen Rotary Park (City of Bremerton) - CLOSED
- Silverdale (port of Silverdale) - "all port facilities CLOSED"
- Port of Brownsville - Fuel Dock OPEN, launch ramp not specified
- Port of Poulsbo - nothing indicating it is closed....OPEN?
- Port of Kingston - Not finding any information on closures...OPEN?
- Salsbury Point Park (Kitsap County Parks) - Site says all parks are CLOSED, although report above indicates ramp may be accessible

Obviously with orders to stay home, I now have too much time on my hands..

Teufelshunde

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Obviously with orders to stay home, I now have too much time on my hands..”

Mike,
I still have to report to work as a first responder so could you do a search on open ramps for Sonoma county California ??
Razz Laughing
Stearmandriver2

City/Region: Port Orchard
Vessel Name: Notayot
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha thanks Mike, that was above and beyond!

I figured there'd be confusion about this. Weather looks lousy this weekend, but when it breaks next week I'm going to test out the Port Orchard ramp and see what I can find out. Will report back. If anyone hears anything in the meantime, feel free to share.

The comparison I'm using here involves general aviation airports, which are NOT closed during this. Yes, they are infrastructure used for some essential activities (just as boat ramps are used by law enforcement, first responders, and essential commercial operators etc), but they are used overwhelmingly for recreational aviation, and that seems to be interpreted as just fine during these restrictions. If locals can use that runway to go buzz around in their Cessnas and Bonanzas, not sure why I couldn't use a boat ramp to go tool around in my boat. It would seem to be the same level of exposure, ie none...
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just surprised in Washington I can still run over to the local bikini coffee stand for a peep show, afterwards grab a Big mac meal at the Mickey Dees and some legal weed from the weed stores because all that is obviously "essential". But all my friends who work in the trades, my plumber friends, electricians, people who do "non essential" jobs that keep peoples basic needs at home working properly are out of a job right now. Good job Enslee, that makes total sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: